Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub Par DJ's Getting Gigs

• 21-04-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Bit of a rant on this one but I've ended up in a certain club in Dublin on a Friday over the past few weeks, and every single time I wonder why the DJs in question are still working there. I don't want post the link to the fb page or name the club, but they are quite frankly brutal (Claiming in excess of 10 years experience on 2 continents I believe)

Last night I'm pretty sure not one song was properly beat matched or in sync. Key wasn't even on the table. And to cap it off, radio rips and low quality MP3's. Painfully obvious as the system in question is amazing but the bins weren't even operating for some songs and had the ears shot off me with the 'hush' and static you get from bad quality at high volume.

I'm sure someone will point out my SoundCloud or my experience, but there really is a limit. The must have stalled the floor every 10 mins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

why so shy about naming the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

FensterDJ wrote: »
    why so shy about naming the club?

I actually quite like the club in question and the other nights are excellent. It's more about the DJs and what crowds seem willing to tolerate. Saying that, the crowd wasn't having much of it in my eyes.

so you just want to get it off your chest rather than trying to encourage debate or change the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

name and shame the club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

without naming the club this thread is total bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Name the club, shame the DJ's.

This forum has never really been into the polite sowing circle vibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Go on, go for it. You know you want to!

I'm not going to name the club as I believe its amongst one of the best venues on the south side. Also the event isn't run by them so it would be unfair on that account as well. The problem is the DJs, who appear to operate as a pair.

Suppose its more of a rant really, why are crowds happy to lap up this rubbish. No wonder Ireland just isn't advancing in the club scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'm not going to name the club as I believe its amongst one of the best venues on the south side. Also the event isn't run by them so it would be unfair on that account as well. The problem is the DJs, who appear to operate as a pair.

Suppose its more of a rant really, why are crowds happy to lap up this rubbish. No wonder Ireland just isn't advancing in the club scene.

who are the djs then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Are there any venues on the southside nowadays?

• Advertisement

so what you are doing is essentially allowing us to go to a night that you believe to be sub par because you are unwilling to warn us of it ****ness, every night I go to now that is not up to the mark I'm going to blame on you and your vagueness :)

:):):):):) lots of smileys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

You've qualified that you don't hold the venue responsible, so out with it.

Anyone who's worried about being slated needs to take a look at themselves. If you have a sh*t night, hold your hands up. If you're just sh*t, playing crappy quality MP3 rips, then that's something else.

The pressure is killing me lads :)

But it all seriousness, I'd rather not name and shame. I'd like to think someone wouldn't do the same to myself if I had a bad night. However I would take it on the chin. Criticism is better than going around thinking your the best thing since sliced bread.

I've given enough info without directly naming. It's a Dublin south side venue, in town, with a decent sound system that hosts some decent acts occasionally, on a Friday with a pair of DJ's. I'll go one further and say its a split level venue. Should be obvious by now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The pressure is killing me lads :)

But it all seriousness, I'd rather not name and shame. I'd like to think someone wouldn't do the same to myself if I had a bad night. However I would take it on the chin. Criticism is better than going around thinking your the best thing since sliced bread.

I've given enough info without directly naming. It's a Dublin south side venue, in town, with a decent sound system that hosts some decent acts occasionally, on a Friday with a pair of DJ's. I'll go one further and say its a split level venue. Should be obvious by now ;)

But you said they've been sh¡te everytime you've seen them. That's hardly having a bad night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

No wonder Ireland just isn't advancing in the club scene.

Bollox to that. Maybe you should start going to clubs on the Northside.

Make up your mind, is it a case of a bad night, or consistently bad. If consistently bad, then name them.

Otherwise keep it to yourself and stop annoying people with vague assertions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

so basically the point is: DJs who can't mix, and play low quality music, are bad, and should get the boot?

the only place i can think of that you're referring to is Lost Society....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Seen Paddy Sheridan and Billy Scurry @ the Lost Society basement a few weeks ago and they were both excellent and a nice older and friendly crowd there,when i first walked in having never been there before i did venture upstairs for a minute, fu*k me D4 snobs and posers central and the music even worse, i like some funky house but if this is what they call funky house thesedays i want no part of it (you really have to search for good music thesedays)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jonnny68 wrote: »
    i like some funky house
    Really? You've never said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Really? You've never said

He hasn't, usually he's into "Soulful and Funky House".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

OK it's me he's talking about. I got the gig through my mate's daddy who owns the place and we're just starting out. It's almost impossible to get a groove going when youtube can be slow and we don't know the songs and only play tracks where there's a hot chick in the picture.
    Funny story, one night, we were playing a song with a gorgeous blonde in the picture - I think the song was by some guy Shred or Shrek or Shed or something and then my mate sees a song with a girl in a bikini washing a car and we switch to that ..... it was These Boots Are Made For Walking ..... ah man we just cracked up with the laughing. We are great fun and we rawk. Come see us.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Mr_Magpie

ha!

i'm just curious which shed it was now… guess i'll go check what the quality of blondes is like on yt, see if i can't figure out ;)

also, depending on who organised the night the op was at would depend on the quality of the djs. one of the bigger promoters at the moment is handing out 'dj' slots to anybody who's cool enough and can press play. i've even heard of people getting offered a regular slot and being having to be shown how to use a mixer before they played.

I've heard of DJs who rub their hands on their sweaty ballsacks before they use the mixer. Durty bastards... And I saw one DJ who said he was going to play funky house and he played UK funky instead. I spat in his face. I looked like a right plonker trying to dance with my hairdryer to that.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Seen Paddy Sheridan and Billy Scurry @ the Lost Society basement a few weeks ago and they were both excellent and a nice older and friendly crowd there,when i first walked in having never been there before i did venture upstairs for a minute, fu*k me D4 snobs and posers central and the music even worse, i like some funky house but if this is what they call funky house thesedays i want no part of it (you really have to search for good music thesedays)

That's the gig I was at! I was expecting a load of proper, soulful, funky house and the eejit starts playing UK Funky instead. Did you see me with the hairdryer? I was trying to give it socks but it was brutal stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I love the way most DJ's seem to think the public in general can hear when a dj makes a mess of a mix or doesn't beat match properly because they don't it's only dj's who pay attention to that most clubbers only care about hearing the tunes they want to hear or being introduced to good new tunes. Thus why so many knob twitching/ headphone shaking posers get big followings and dj's stand in the corner ignoring the music and thinking they can do better.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I love the way most DJ's seem to think the public in general can hear when a dj makes a mess of a mix or doesn't beat match properly because they don't it's only dj's who pay attention to that most clubbers only care about hearing the tunes they want to hear or being introduced to good new tunes. Thus why so many knob twitching/ headphone shaking posers get big followings and dj's stand in the corner ignoring the music and thinking they can do better.

That's just trying to excuse sh¡tness. If people are dancing away and it suddenly sounds like a bunch of elephants galloping on a tin roof most people are going to notice, not just djs. Tbf, judging by their facebook page, it looks like the Lost Society for the most part probably doesn't care what their DJs are like once they get the crowd in so I wouldn't really be caring about the quality of the DJs either if I was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

xdeletiax wrote: »

Try shaking your hairdryer to that… you look like a lemon. Total morto I was…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That's just trying to excuse sh¡tness. If people are dancing away and it suddenly sounds like a bunch of elephants galloping on a tin roof most people are going to notice, not just djs. Tbf, judging by their facebook page, it looks like the Lost Society for the most part probably doesn't care what their DJs are like once they get the crowd in so I wouldn't really be caring about the quality of the DJs either if I was there.

It's a simple fact it's not excusing ****ness I have been in clubs and couldn't believe how **** the dj was or how many mistakes he made and said it afterwards to a looks of sheer confusion from people who don't dj.

A **** dj, is a dj who can't figure out what the crowd want to hear and build his set accordingly even if he can beat match perfectly. Despite what most pretentious **** think it's about the music and always will be. Not defending anyone who can't beat match or dj properly just think that but if your playing your job is to make sure the crowd enjoy the night otherwise stay in your bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

Pointless and boring thread is now pointless and boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

He hasn't, usually he's into "Soulful and Funky House".

you don't miss a trick son eh:D

Yeah Soulful House is probably my favourite genre out of all the genres and has been for quite sometime now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Ah come on, I thought we'd find out what club we were bitching about by now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Yea, sure this is the Internet, you can say what you like an get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Not if the Boards moderation Stasi get wind of it you can't.

Surprised no one has guessed it actually. But it wasn't Lost Society, its a far more commercial club.

It is frustrating though when your having a decent night out but you know as soon as the transition comes its going to be woeful. Ruins the night no end. Not saying I could do any better, thats not for me to say, but there is a limit. And these guys are utter rubbish.

From the looks of it, one lad is using iTunes and burning CDs. Then the other is using Traktor. But there is no controller. Just two CDJ1000's. And there doesn't appear to be a sound card either. Can't make sense of it but would explain the lack of beat matching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've lost interest

ianuss wrote: »
    Pointless and boring thread is now pointless and boring.
    this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Surprised no one has guessed it actually. But it wasn't Lost Society, its a far more commercial club.

It is frustrating though when your having a decent night out but you know as soon as the transition comes its going to be woeful. Ruins the night no end. Not saying I could do any better, thats not for me to say, but there is a limit. And these guys are utter rubbish.

From the looks of it, one lad is using iTunes and burning CDs. Then the other is using Traktor. But there is no controller. Just two CDJ1000's. And there doesn't appear to be a sound card either. Can't make sense of it but would explain the lack of beat matching.
    Ah seriously, stop going on about it if you're not going to name and shame. It's boring otherwise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Then no surprise there are sh1t dj's playing crap music really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Zascar wrote: »
    Then no surprise there are sh1t dj's playing crap music really.

Was just about to say that.... 99.99 per cent of folk in cattle marts couldn't care less and that's how they keep getting gigs. And I still can't guess what the club is but then again I've no interest in commercial clubs. Just name and shame and stop softcocking around the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

clearly this place doesn't exist and this whole thing is made up.

or else it's some club like The Palace or D2, or some other ****hole where you wouldn't expect mixing, let alone anything outside the top40, and i couldn't give a sh1t about.

it's south side, it plays music people dance to, I've figured it out - it's Coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

or else it's some club like The Palace or D2, or some other ****hole where you wouldn't expect mixing, let alone anything outside the top40, and i couldn't give a sh1t about.

Exactly, it's like spending a day at a remedial arts class and giving out that people were getting paint on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

couldnt have said it any better

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

bit harsh on the palace, any time i was there, the djs were fairly decent. Mind you i was fairly well on every time i was there.

Advertisement