Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redo Leaving Cert outside school possible?

• 21-04-2012 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am just wondering if anyone knows if there is anywhere I could resit my Leaving Cert without going back to school. Im out of school about 10 yrs now so it wouldn't really be feasible for me to do it in secondary school. Ive looked at the private schools/colleges but they are like 6,000 euro + so not in my budget unfortunately :P .
    My local VEC only does some of the subjects but Id need to do 6 or 7 as Im looking to get as much points as I can to apply for my Uni course. Ill need teaching hands on so distance courses would be out also on most of the subjects as Im a bit rusty lol, and with the science subjects there is practical elements to them so not sure doing it at home would work on the whole?. Im willing to travel so any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pizster

Hi! Is it not possible for you to apply to your university as a mature student?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Yeah there are correspondence courses you can do at home. I know someone who did LC Irish with Kilroy's college, I'd say there are more of them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fluffy Paws

Thanks for the replies,

Unfortunately the course Ill be applying for doesn't have a mature student entry option, its just your L.Cert points or graduate entry. So Ill need to resit my Leaving as my original points were not enough :(
    Its kinda crazy how hard it is to find somewhere to go to just redo the Leaving! At one interview I basically got told that Im too old and I should just go back to my everyday life and forget any silly dreams I may have! WTF. Im not even 30!!!!
    If you do the subjects like Chemistry, Biology, Ag Science by correspondance, how do you fulfil the experiments/practical part of the course? Or do you just do the study part of these and just not the actual practical part of the experiments?

Thanks for any advice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Thanks for the replies,

Unfortunately the course Ill be applying for doesn't have a mature student entry option, its just your L.Cert points or graduate entry. So Ill need to resit my Leaving as my original points were not enough :(
    Its kinda crazy how hard it is to find somewhere to go to just redo the Leaving! At one interview I basically got told that Im too old and I should just go back to my everyday life and forget any silly dreams I may have! WTF. Im not even 30!!!!
    If you do the subjects like Chemistry, Biology, Ag Science by correspondance, how do you fulfil the experiments/practical part of the course? Or do you just do the study part of these and just not the actual practical part of the experiments?

Thanks for any advice :)

I think you need to have a certain amount of practical hours under your belt unfortunately :/
    Thats what I under stood from this anyways ..
    http://www.examinations.ie/secmain/2011_candidiate_info_booklet.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If possible, talk to your VEC again. If there is a demand for courses they do not already run, they can run them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Moyi

Hi there I've been looking all over the net to see if what your asking is possible because I want to do the same am in exact same circumstances!don't have enough budget to stretch to the likes of kilroys college and am just that bit too old to do my leaving cert in school!I'm only 24 but I've applied twice to get into my course and have already done the fetac course for getting in but still no joy and the only alternative is resitting my leaving as mature option is rediculous.wouls love to know if you have found any info on science subjects in terms of practical hours?what course are you looking at doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Hi. Just in terms of the practical elements of LC science subjects for biology, chemistry and physics you must write up all the mandatory experiments in an LC experiment copy. Inspectors from the State Examinations Commission then visit randomly selected schools to check up that all experiments have been written up properly. I'm not sure how this would work if you resit the leaving at home though. No marks are awarded for writing up these experiments by the way. In terms of agricultural science the practical element of the course is worth 25% including a project, experiments and animal and plant identifications and you MUST have a teacher to grade you and sign off for you so unfortunately you won't be able to undertake agricultural science on your own. Best of luck with your decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Does the course that you want to apply accept people that did PLC courses? That could be another option for you, as there's quite a few mature people that are always doing PLC courses, so you wouldn't be alone.

Advertisement