Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what bike will i be allowed to drive

• 21-04-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

Question to motorbike riders,

Im 21 driving a car with a full license 3 years, no claims the lot.
    Also im the car driver that moves out of the way for bikes to let them overtake:)
    Going to apply for my bike theory test soon enough.
    but im not sure what way the licences categories works with regard what bikes cc wise will i be allowed drive ?
    how many lessons i need ?
    how long do i need to wait for my test ?
    best bike to go for, ie good insurance ?
    Also i have little bike experience but have to start some place.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

you will need to apply for an A licence

you will be restricted to 33bhp until 2 years after you pass the driving test itself

you will need to complete 16hrs of IBT. once you have your provo you must wait 6months before applying for the test

best bike would be 250cc to 400cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Syllabus wrote: »
    you will need to apply for an A licence

you will be restricted to 33bhp until 2 years after you pass the driving test itself

you will need to complete 16hrs of IBT. once you have your provo you must wait 6months before applying for the test

best bike would be 250cc to 400cc

I apply for the theory test first, pass it
    apply for my learners permit then get insurance will i be allowed to drive then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056323977

The sticky above will help you out.

You can drive once you complete your IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

sonyvision wrote: »
    I apply for the theory test first, pass it
    apply for my learners permit then get insurance will i be allowed to drive then ?

Just the small thing of the 16hrs training with the IBT between getting the learner permit and being allowed to drive on the road legally

jvan wrote: »
    Just the small thing of the 16hrs training with the IBT between getting the learner permit and being allowed to drive on the road legally

my old man (63) did the IBT last year and althought its not cheap found it brilliant

well worth the cash if youre only starting

nothing like that in my day which it why i suppose i went through a set of rear pads every 2 months and went into corners in 5th gear frantically downshifting on the apex to make it out the otherside:rolleyes:

no, i bought my 1st bike brand new and drove it home from the dealer. first time on the road on a bike:eek:

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice people :D

So what i understand is
    do the theory test first
    then apply for the permit
    then do the IBT course
    then ride bike on my own
    wait 6 months then sit test

next part do i need my own bike for the IBT course or how does that work :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

thanks for the advice people :D

So what i understand is
    do the theory test first
    then apply for the permit
    then do the IBT course
    then ride bike on my own
    wait 6 months then sit test

next part do i need my own bike for the IBT course or how does that work :confused:

Yep that's it. You will be able to rent a bike from the instructor school to do the ibt

Just clicked through came across a price of 480 euro i think its for the IBT course thing which is on a school bike

theres a few prices for different things :eek:

Reading it again cause the course is split into 2 days could it cost 480 a day, or 480 for the 16 hours ?

Just clicked through came across a price of 480 euro i think its for the IBT course thing which is on a school bike

theres a few prices for different things :eek:

Reading it again cause the course is split into 2 days could it cost 480 a day, or 480 for the 16 hours ?

the price is for the 16hrs

most instructors offer a discount for 2 people

the old man did his for 400 (on his own)

Thanks I may get around to it now, do you know if you can use an instructors bike for a driving test ?

• Advertisement

Thanks I may get around to it now, do you know if you can use an instructors bike for a driving test ?

for a fee, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I have locked the duplicate thread.
    The info is here for the other posters to read.

Advertisement