Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 21-04-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice, I'm looking to begin some long range shooting , I'm about to apply for a license.

I was thinking of starting off with a .223 and I'm just looking for the best advice I can get,

Should I go and buy and install a safe before submitting my application ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Yes you would be better off installing a safe before you hand in your application as it is a security requirement for a rifle.

Are you a member of a range already?

Also is your goal to shoot out to 1000 yards (F-Class)?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭kevinw07

I'm not a member of a range at the moment but I will be in the next week or 2 , my long term goal would be to shoot out to 1000 yards , however I thought it would be best to start with a .223 and build my experience and knowledge ,

My reason for applying for a rifle license is to take up the sport due to being injured and unable to participate in my usuall activity , would the deciding officer see this as good reason for owning a firearm ?

Thanks for your reply

In the Midlands range there is a Development Squad where people interested in getting involved in the sport can shoot and get a taste for the sport. I am apart of it and loving it.
    Also the Midlands is the only range in Ireland with 800 - 1000 yards so is definitely worth looking at.

If you are a member of a range and want a rifle for target shooting then the FO/Supper will have sufficient reason to grant your license.

As for the .223 it would be a nice starting rifle to learn on and will be able to shoot out to 600 once you have enough adjustment on your scope.

In F Class there is two classes.
    FTR is shot with a .308 or .223 with a bipod and back bag.
    F Open is shot with anything up to 8mm with the main calibres being 6.5x284 and 7mm.

FTR would be cheaper to get started in.
    I will try find a post here that explains the two classes better.

Ezridax off here is the man to talk to about getting started in the sport. He got me going and some other members. He should be along later.

Here is a post explaining each class
    Ezridax wrote: »
    F-Class was created by Canadian George Farquharson who thought it up to allow older TR shooters to continue to compete when their eye sight may not be as good as younger shooters. To that end he wanted to be allowed to use scoped rifle rather thn Iron sights, peep sights, etc. He patitioned the governing body to "ratify" the sport and when it was it was called F-Class after George Farquharson using the first letter of his second name.

The sport was split into two seperate catigories. FTR, and F-Open. FTR or Field Target Rifle had it's own set of rules, as did F-Open. While similar in design, and concept both sports ahve grown in their own right developing into what they are today.

A basic run down of each class with its rules can be found on www.NRAI.ie, but here is a short introduction.

F-Open - This is shooting done with a rifle, scope, front rest and back bag. Typical calibers include, 7mm, 6.5x284, but any caliber is allowed. It would be unusual, but not unheard off to use another caliber simply because these seem to be the tried and tested ones. The rifle cannot exceed 22lbs in weight. This includes rifle, scope, mounts, bolt. The front rest can be of any size and make, but must have a sand bag between the forestock of the rifle and the rest. The back back must also be of "simple" design and have sand between butt stock and rest/bag. Any power scope can be used.

FTR - This is shooting also done with a rifle, and scope, but has a bipod instead of a rest and a rear sandbag as with F-Open. The discipline is limited to .223, and .308 caliber rifles ONLY. The distances vary between 600 yards to a max of 1,000 yards. The setup for FTR shooting is usually cheaper than F-Open, but depending on your taste and customising of your rifle can be more expensive. The majority (if not all) of shooters use .308 caliber rifles. The vary from TRGs, Remingtons to the popular Savage. Thereason for them being so popular is they have excellent accuracy, but come in (price wise) cheaper than most/all factory rifles but is able to outshoot them from the off requiring no modifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭kevinw07

Thanks for all the info , I think I will start with a .233, in relation to the development squad do you have to be a member or could I pop down some weekend to have a look ?

Would you know the membership fees offhand ?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

You could drop down to have a look but to be part of the squad you have to be a member.

For the first year it is €600 for the first year and €295 after that.

Have a look at the MNSCI website to download an application form.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hello Kevinw07.

dev110 has pretty much covered the basics, and the post he used gives a good idea of the different classes. A few points to cover.

Long range shooting is classed from 600 yards onwards. Out to 600 yards most rifles regardless of their design will achieve this distance with varying degrees of success. However to try and save you time, and grief i would recommend going for an F-Class caliber from the off.

A .223 rifle can be used in FTR, and you can use any caliber for the time being on the new development squad, but realistically if you intend to shoot for fun, or competitively you are best off going for the rigth set up, or as close as posible to it, from the off. This saves you loosing time, money, and sometimes frustration by using anothe caliber that simply is not up to the job.

The other factor would be ammo. Most .223 ammo is decent and even the cheaper stuff would get you shooting. But should you turn up to a shoot, comp. or informal, and are constantly being outdone or "left behind" due to your rifle/caliber rather than your ability it can be discouraging, and lead to you leaving the sport before you even get a taste for it.

To that end i would suggest going for a .308 rifle. They can be gotten for relatively decent money, and with faftory (HPS) ammo going at €55 per box of 50 it's as cheap as most if not a lot of .223 ammo and definitely cheaper than other calibers such as 6.5, .243, .270, etc. This is because HPS does a limited supply of calibers with .308 being the most widely available, and most popular. Also if you choose to use Hornady, Remington, etc ammo these brands can be quite expensive at anywhere between €20 - €44 per box of 20, and also depending on caliber.

In relation to the rifle itself. A .223 would really need to have a minimum of a 24"-26" barrel, but again you will find yourself needing to go for a longer barrel after a short enough time. Same applies for any caliber really. The last weekend we had a good few members over to check out the first development sqaud introduction day. Some had the full rigs, some had very good rifles that were fine, but could do with "tweaking", and then there were a couple that simply struggled from the off.

When you consider that a .223 rifle and scope can set you back between €1200 - €1800 and a .308 rifle can go for the same money or a little more the .308 would be the better choice.

As dev110 has also said the best thing to do would be to drop down some weekend, and have a look. As a non member you would not be able to shoot with the development squad, but the day would be worth a thousand posts in terms of seeing the rifles being used, the equipment, whats involved, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭marty555

The best post ive seen in ages !!

Advertisement