Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember this overhanging ceiling/floor problem??

• 21-04-2012 9:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I had posted about this issue ages ago.........well its all sorted now (thank god).:)

I had a problem with wind (not the type you are thinking of :D)

The main bedroom upstairs was draughty and cold when it was windy outside.
    The overhang was originaly kitted out externally in WPB 18mm ply and then finished off with PVC facia board.
    This was not good enough so something had to be done to solve the various cold and draught/wind problems that I had with the bedroom above.

Anyway,up came the floor above,and off came the PVC Facia board.
    A plasterer friend of mine applied Febond to the WBP board on the outside and then he spent most of the day installing metal sheeting called Riblap.
    This was screwed hammered into place with galvanized screws roofing nails

The plasterer then applied the various plaster coats and he also waterproofed/frostproofed them too.He also replastered the side wall and installed an expansion strip too.

Now,on the inside of the house (in the bedroom upstairs) up came the floor and some Fire Retardent Bio-Foam 800 open cell sprayfoam sprayed into the overhang and floor void.

The spray foam company who spray foamed both my attic spaces,came back and did this bit of spray foam work for next to nothing (just the cost of the diesel really).
    This filled every little gap and crevice to give a very good level of insulation and noise reduction.
    While the floor was up,the rest of the floor was fitted out with 100mm Rockwool slab and then finished off with 170mm Knauf Earthwool.

End result is a lovely warm,noise free bedroom,even in cold windy weather.

So to quote a certain 1980s TV series......

"I love it when a plan comes together"...:D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Few more pics.

Also had 2 new lights installed and a PIR/motion dector to activate the lights

Pics of the insulation part of the work.

Put down new 18mm WPB Ply in the bedroom,and also 10mm foil backed thermal underlay and then the carpet.:)

Last pic.Also got Velux solar powered thermal blackout blinds for the Velux windows and these really do make a difference too.

Theres allways a solution to a problem...(no matter what the problem may be).

Hope this thread and some of the pictures might help out anyone else with a similar problem.

Regards.:)

Advertisement