Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is my new hard drive knackerd?

Options
  • 21-04-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm really sorry if this has been asked before and I'm sorry for asking a stupid question but here goes.
    Im trying my hand at building a pc, just a basic one to get some practise, got all the pieces and all connected together. It starts to BIOS no problems and I can start the installation of windows 7 but neither finds my hard drive.
    Its a sata2 500gb hard drive, I've tried connecting to a different sata connection, tried different cables but nothing.
    when I start the computer it makes a bit of a clicking sound for a couple of seconds like its trying to start but then stops when BIOS kicks in.
    The thing is I bought it of ebay and to be honest it wasn't packaged great and I'm panicking that's it has been damaged in post. Its been sitting in the cupboard for almost a month now while I've been waiting to get a chance to put it together so asking for a refunds gonna be a bit tricky.
    Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Hi guys,
    I'm really sorry if this has been asked before and I'm sorry for asking a stupid question but here goes.
    Im trying my hand at building a pc, just a basic one to get some practise, got all the pieces and all connected together. It starts to BIOS no problems and I can start the installation of windows 7 but neither finds my hard drive.
    Its a sata2 500gb hard drive, I've tried connecting to a different sata connection, tried different cables but nothing.
    when I start the computer it makes a bit of a clicking sound for a couple of seconds like its trying to start but then stops when BIOS kicks in.
    The thing is I bought it of ebay and to be honest it wasn't packaged great and I'm panicking that's it has been damaged in post. Its been sitting in the cupboard for almost a month now while I've been waiting to get a chance to put it together so asking for a refunds gonna be a bit tricky.
    Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated guys.

Fairly likely that it is knackered. Hard drives can usually be returned for replacement to the manufacturer though within a couple of years. Go through the RMA process on their web site. In which case you'll just lose time as it can take 2-3 weeks for the replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

cheers for the reply mate. I'm gonna give it a go but I've just looked at the details on the drive and although it was unused and in its packaging it was manufactured in 2007, so I probably wont have much luck getting a replacement. Appreciate the help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Do you have another computer you can stick it into to check? Usually the eastiest and most-certain way of finding out.

Is it detected in your BIOS at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,950 ✭✭✭✭briany

I wonder if it was a Seagate drive because I had the same problem and am in the process of RMAing it right now. Clicking noises and no BIOS detect = bad news. There is a possibility that however that the reason for it is not a mechanical fault as such but that the drive is underpowered, that is to say that your PSU is not enough to run the drive plus whatever is in your system. Just a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Is the HDD detected in the BIOS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

cheers for the reply mate. I'm gonna give it a go but I've just looked at the details on the drive and although it was unused and in its packaging it was manufactured in 2007, so I probably wont have much luck getting a replacement. Appreciate the help though.

The typical lifespan of a consumer grade drive is about three years.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Do you have another computer you can stick it into to check? Usually the eastiest and most-certain way of finding out.

Is it detected in your BIOS at all?

Yeah I connected it to my other PC using a sata to usb connector, its not showing up on that either.
    briany wrote: »
    I wonder if it was a Seagate drive because I had the same problem and am in the process of RMAing it right now. Clicking noises and no BIOS detect = bad news. There is a possibility that however that the reason for it is not a mechanical fault as such but that the drive is underpowered, that is to say that your PSU is not enough to run the drive plus whatever is in your system. Just a possibility.

Its a western digital HDD. I got a cheap case with a 600 watt psu from maplins, I know its a bit over kill for what its for but it was reduced to clear so i took it, so I shouldn't think there'd be an issue with power would there be?
    The typical lifespan of a consumer grade drive is about three years.

Thats probably my problem, it was brand new and unopened but made 5 years ago.

Cheers all for the help, really appreciate it.

I have six hard drives, all of which are still working. Two are five years old. My family's computer has two hard drives, one of which is seven years old, the other is nine. I'm not sure where that figure is coming from.

Can you see it in your BIOS at all?

Serephucus wrote: »
    I have six hard drives, all of which are still working. Two are five years old. My family's computer has two hard drives, one of which is seven years old, the other is nine. I'm not sure where that figure is coming from.

Can you see it in your BIOS at all?

No mate, no where at all. i've searched and searched but its no where.

Then it's probably boned, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

yeah its looking that way, cheers for the help any way.

Advertisement