Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I sold my 3 bullocks :-( .. geess, i miss them already

• 21-04-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

once I bought them last sept (late) I planned on selling them march/april, and buying more lighter ones for the summer, possible 8-9.

just to fill you in, I got great help on this forum over the last few yrs, everything from approaching the mart to dosing. anyway

I bought 2 LMx and 1 AAx last sept, 3 in the ring together, average weight 420kgs. €900 a piece.

today i sold them single. weights were. . .. . wait for it. .
    555kgs for €1320
    560kgs for €1300
    560kgs for €1360

i know i benefited hugely from the inflation prices. .

some may think im lucky. . . but then again, if a builder was in the 00s and earning millions, . . . well todays my day . . . :)

was on grass, good after grass for sept/oct/nov. . . silage nov/dec/jan/feb. .. back to grass for march. . . then 2/3 bales again in april. . .

1kg nuts each per day . . since jan. . (nice job for the mrs). . 2kgs a day for the last 2 weeks

she thought she wouldnt miss them . . . . .. u should see her now. .

plan now is to keep bullocks for apr/may to sept/oct each year, as work commitments dont allow for winter holding.

thanks for everything on this forum. . I have a few questions but not tonight. im too tired after the day i had, and also power hosed out the shed. .

NBF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

id like to know peoples opinions on the weight gain.. . was it average, poor or excellent. .

as its my first holding, im green when it comes to this . .

135/140 kgs weight gain per head. ... in 7 months. . . maybe it should be more. . .

is there a std i should be looking for , , ,

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Well done NBF.

As regards weight gain, it will depend on whether the animal has scope to put on weight etc. If you have a "butty" one, he will not put on as much as a rangy animal. Also, whether he was a hungry animal when you bought him or pushed on with nuts by previous owner etc.

Anyway, in general, you would be aiming for 200-250kg in the year gain for bullocks with a little meal.
    Dont forget though that now until late June would be a good time for gain and you would be expecting approx 1kg/day gain. Taking that into account you did very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

id like to know peoples opinions on the weight gain.. . was it average, poor or excellent. .

as its my first holding, im green when it comes to this . .

135/140 kgs weight gain per head. ... in 7 months. . . maybe it should be more. . .

is there a std i should be looking for , , ,

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. .

If i were u NBF i'd keep away from those STD's nasty yokes:D

well done with the cattle! whats ur next move? costly to replace

Advertisement