Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School of Philosophy

Options
  • 21-04-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,

I'm applying to the School of Philosophy at UCD and was looking to get some "insider" information on the department. Just basics about which faculty are the bests to work with, how available the professors are, whether or not fellow grad students talk often and are a helping bunch, etc.

I'm also curious about the research facilities at UCD, especially the library. On this topic I'm wondering if any one has ever had trouble when it comes to research at UCD. I assume they've got a plethora of research resources.

Also I'm an international student, so if any one has info for an international that'd be great too. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I'm not a Philosophy student so I can't give you specifics, but the professors/lecturers will have set times that they are available each week if you need to discuss anything.

Research - I think it depends on what you need. It's pretty good and the online services are very useful, but like most libraries, there is only so much available.

Check out this link of Facebook for the international section in UCD. http://www.facebook.com/iscucd

My only tip would be to avail of the Student Travel Card at the start of the year, to give you cheaper travel tickets. Here is the link for more info UCD is about 9 km from the city so it is useful. :-
    http://www.studenttravelcard.ie/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

The philosophy department is considered to be among the best in the world.

Who you work with will depend on what kind of philosophy you're going to do.

All the professors are very helpful and are available outside of office hours and contactable by email etc...

I can tell you about specifics if you want. Maybe PM me if you want to now more.

I've had a very pleasant experience with all the grad students over the past year.

Advertisement