Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are alcoholics idolised in this country?

• 21-04-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Saw Paul McGrath on the late late last night and what a gentleman he is.He was so well spoken and is clearly a naturally shy person.Although he was just before my time I can appreciate that he was a seriously talented footballer.
    He is very clear in the fact that he was/is:o an alcoholic.But although he has his problems he is looked up to as a hero by so many people ala George Best,Eminem,Eric Clapton etc.Just got me thinking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I don't recall too many people being looked up to because of the fact that they are alcoholics. Should all other achievements be forgotten because they have a drinking problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Saw Paul McGrath on the late late last night and what a gentleman he is.He was so well spoken and is clearly a naturally shy person.Although he was just before my time I can appreciate that he was a seriously talented footballer.
    He is very clear in the fact that he was/is:o an alcoholic.But although he has his problems he is looked up to as a hero by so many people ala George Best,Eminem,Eric Clapton etc.Just got me thinking.

Paul McGrath is looked up to because he is one of the greatest sportsmen Ireland has ever produced, not because of his drink problems.

Silly example and silly thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

They're not idolised FOR being alcoholics though. They're idolised for different reasons, and they just happen to be alcoholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

dirtyden wrote: »
    Paul McGrath is looked up to because he is one of the greatest sportsmen Ireland has ever produced, not because of his drink problems.

Silly example and silly thread.
    Can I just quickly respond to that.Many would say Kevin Moran was equally as good as McGrath.I believe his troubles off the field cemented his ledgenary status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

OP, I see the point your trying to make. It doesnt apply to Paul Mcgrath though. There was a certain mystique and star quality to G Best due to his heavy drinking and womanising, but first and foremost it was his football that made people pay attention to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

It got you thinking we look up to Paul because he was a savage drinker?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

They are idolised for other achievements. I don't think McGrath was ever supported for the things he did while drunk, which were crazy to be honest. Shane MacGowan isn't famous and loved by so many for his drinking, it's because he is a very talented songwriter, same goes for Clapton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Addiction is the new cocaine

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

We idolise them because of their talents in other areas beyond drinking.

Unfortunately, it's those talents that often end up driving them towards alcohol as a coping mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Its more to do with there celebrity status than there alcoholism,But having an addiction does get the medias and peoples attention,People love to see people fall down and get back up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Addiction is the new cocaine

Sure I'm addicted right now, and loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Paul McGrath cannot be spoken of with ill will.

A pox upon the houses of all who speak of The Great One with ill will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Why are alcoholics idolised in this country? They're not. They're idolised for what they do. eg. Paul McGrath was idolised for being a great footballer, who happened to also be an alco.

It's like saying Lance Armstrong was idolised for having cancer. No he was idolised for being a great cyclist who happened to have Cancer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think we idolize alcoholics, in fact of the 4 people you mentioned 3 aren't from "this country", I would like to think that we appreciate talented people who overcome difficulties to get to the top of their profession, sometimes we might even resent people who seem to have everything come to them easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Paul was one of the finest footballers this country ever produced, that's why people look up to him, not because of his personal problems/alcoholism.

I don't think you'll find any George Best fan who thinks:

"Good man yourself George, destroyed your liver with booze, got a transplant, couldn't stop yourself from doing it again and put yourself in an early grave"

Again, his ability as a footballer was what made him something special not his ability as a drinker. I'd prefer if he never drank, achieved twice as much in his career and was still with us today. Paul is still here, and I hope he continues to be for a long time to come.

I know the angle you're coming at this from, the whole George Best, Ollie Reed, Shane McGowan - legendary hellraiser thing. The vast majority of fans of these people wouldn't want to live with them, nor would they want to live with a family member who behaved in a similar fashion. That suggests it isn't the alcoholism that is the main attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Can I just quickly respond to that.Many would say Kevin Moran was equally as good as McGrath.I believe his troubles off the field cemented his ledgenary status.

I dont think even Kevin Moran's mum would say that.

Kevin Moran was a good centre half, Paul McGrath was a great centre half, however that is a discussion for the soccer thread.

I don't recall too many people being looked up to because of the fact that they are alcoholics. Should all other achievements be forgotten because they have a drinking problem?
    If Paul McGrath was a a great footballer and clean living person all his life and Kevin Moran was the well known great footballer and alcoholic then would the legenday status be reversed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Paul McGrath is/was one of Ireland's greatest alcoholics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

eminem was a bit of a random inclusion !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

If Paul McGrath was a a great footballer and clean living person all his life and Kevin Moran was the well known great footballer and alcoholic then would the legenday status be reversed?

We love football in Ireland, he was a legend (see below), IMO he won us the game against Italy IN '94 (not even the eventual winners Brazil beat them in normal time and needed penalties). Ronnie Whelan was on the Saturday night show tonight (another Ireland legend but NOT an alcoholic).
    First time Ireland are in an international competition in 10 years, expect alot of the soccer legends of the past wheeled out. Why not?
    Oh and Ray Houghtan is on ****ing Harvey Norman ads every ****ing day. I'm so annoyed with you I wish I was after a few drinks.

LEGEND

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,this is a bit of a silly thread.

Paul McGrath was idolised because he was a great footballer.

I can safely say that I wasnt even aware that Paul was fond of the bottle in his playing days.

Had I known,was I suddenly supposed to think less of his ability on the field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Maybe "idolize" is the wrong word, but I do think that talent gets excessive drinkers a "free pass". I'm reminded of playwright Brendan Behan, who got laughs by describing himself as a "drinker with a writing problem". He died at 41, of drink-related problems, while drinking. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Some times we like our heros flawed like ourselves.

there's always been a curious admiration for the hard drinkers in this country...

fellas that can hold down ten pints without a bother

Matt Talbot, Brendan Behan, Richard Harris, George Best, Alex Higgins, Shane McGowan, Ronnie Drew, The Fureys etc etc

Drink!!!! *hiccup*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

We are all chemical animals.

Think your endorphins are a product of God?

Your work, relationships, health, luck, food, drink - including alcohol - all impact on your neural/physical being in myriad ways.

Don't get too anal about **** - it's a sign of lack of perspective :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Sure isn't Ireland disneyland for alcoholics

we even name bridges after mentally ill alcoholics

matt talbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Reading a bit more about Behan: it wasn't just Ireland where he his drinking were accepted. In 1956 he appeared on a TV talk show in the UK, drunk, and not only did that go down well with the audience, he made a new friend in another guest, American comedian Jackie Gleason.

Even before then, the "drunken Irishman" was seen as a harmless stereotype: I recently watched the film Bringing Up Baby (1938), which included respected actor Barry Fitzgerald as an Irish gardener who was hiding flasks of whiskey in the stables. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Not Irish I know but I idolised Oliver Reed and Keith Moon in my youth and I grew up to be a heavy drinker, is there a connection there somewhere, did I aspire to become something awful?

I am drinking atm could you put that in layman terms please?

Bottoms up! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Paul McGrath is still fondly remembered in Carrigaline, It was some moment when he appeared in Rosies with another Carrigaline favourite "Follow the box". :)

You think your the sh&t with your smart ass answer dont you?Well you are a sad man.

I thought you were being humorous.

If you have a problem with drink, then apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

No as good a player as Moran was Mcgrath was better, for Ireland anyhow imo. Probably the best performer in the charlton years. Put in some amazing performances in a green jersey. Most of our better results against top opposition had a lot to do with McGrath's defending.

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I thought you were being humorous.

If you have a problem with drink, then apologies.
    I was being stupid sorry for that reply man.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Think harder next time.

Advertisement