Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 8lb line strong enough for carp?

Options
  • 21-04-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I don't intend on doing carp fishing anytime soon. Just curious If I plan to do some in the future :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

I don't intend on doing carp fishing anytime soon. Just curious If I plan to do some in the future :)

Yes..8lb line is fine..

If you were fishing a snaggy area though,,you may want to beef it up another small bit,to maybe 10-12lb.

Other than that though,,it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

8lb line is used around here for towing tractors... should be plenty but all depends where you plan to fish... where are you thinking of and I'll put you right on the gear required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

depends, if its a stocked match style lake, 8lb would be over kill. 5/6lb would be ok in a lake like that, but make sure you have the drag set correctly! carp are very strong, and great fun on light tackle.

for bigger carp, like 10lb+ fish, you would need more than 8lb if its a snaggy area. When Im pike fishing in the winter, I use a min of 15lb mono line becuase of snags.

Advertisement