Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ye are all so insignificant

• 21-04-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭

I wanted to work out how many descendants I have since the year 0 (as you do).

Let's say that on average each generation is about 25 years (which I think is probably generous because people had children much younger in the past) and lets just say 2000 years ago for simplicity's sake.

So 2000years/25 = 80 generations.

So two parents, each having two parents, each having two parents etc all the way back 80 generations:

2^80 = 1208925819614629174706176 :eek:

So every person on earth has about 1208925819614629174706176 direct descendants (not including brothers, sisters, aunts uncles and cousins) since just the year 0.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, just because.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

you've been busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Antecedents or ancestors.

Descendents are people descended from you, not people you're descended from.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Get a job you hippy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No that's wrong. There hasn't been that number of people alive throughout the history of man kind.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

the further back you go, the more often you find ancestors "doubling up"... eg. a great^10 grandfather on you fathers side could be a great^9 grandfather on your mothers side...

what's more, I think i read that the most recent common ancestor of everyone alive today lived between about 2,000 and 5,000 years ago, and the most recent time when every human alive was either the ancestor of everyone alive today, or left no descendants, was about 13,000 years ago (and would be less were it not for people who lived in isolated parts of the world for thousands of years)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

No that's wrong. There hasn't been that number of people alive throughout the history of man kind.

Yeah, that's what I thought myself, but I can't think of anything that's wrong with the numbers. How else can you work it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Roughly 6% of every human who has ever lived is alive today.

Might be obvious but I found it interesting

Yeah, that's what I thought myself, but I can't think of anything that's wrong with the numbers. How else can you work it out?

criss-crossing lines of ancestry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,you are wrong.

According to this,the total amount of people that have lived on Earth is 107 Billion.

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2002/HowManyPeopleHaveEverLivedonEarth.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yes we are insignificant, look at the size of the universe, then look at the size of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

yuppies wrote: »
    the further back you go, the more often you find ancestors "doubling up"... eg. a great^10 grandfather on you fathers side could be a great^9 grandfather on your mothers side...

Even so, that wouldn't affect the numbers any significant amount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

You forgot to carry the 7. Always carry the 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

We're all related bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Where,s me calculator ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are you counting twins to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We came from monkeys actually... chimpanzees to be precise.

Chimpanzees are our ancestors.

Trollface.

Even so, that wouldn't affect the numbers any significant amount!

Somebody alive 200 years ago who had 5 or 6 children who survived to adulthood could easily be the ancestor of hundreds of the individuals who live today. That same individuals' brother could have a similar number of descendants if they had 5 or 6 kids also. so there could be say 1000 people alive today, most of whom go about their days not knowing they are distantly related to each other. If each of those 1000 people followed the same exercise as in your op, their family trees would all include the father of those two guys from 200 years ago ie. nobody has a unique family tree to themselves going back through history.. everybody is sharing the same relatively small number of ancestors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Chimpanzees are our ancestors.

Trollface.

You nearly got me there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Did you factor in any possible incest in your family line OP?

You nearly got me there :pac:

Did you know that our ancestors, the Chimpanzee, have the strength of about 40 men?

Yep. A really angry Chimpanzee escaped from a zoo in the US, picked up a bus full of screaming school children and threw it about 100 meters down the highway.

Amazing but completely true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That proves my incest post.....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

I always said it, there is a bit of a traveller in us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Chimpanzees are not monkeys.

Now go and post in the "Most incorrect thing I was taught" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm guessing the OP hasn't read 2001: A Space Odyssey (by Arthur C Clarke), which has the following as the very first line in the book:
    Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. Since the dawn of time, roughly a hundred billion human beings have walked the planet Earth.
    The book (and film) came out in 1968: the BBC podcast More Or Less looked in to that claim a couple of months ago. The consensus: at that time, Clarke had it very close to spot-on, but the ratio is now more like 15:1 (107:7 billion)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Ha ha, you're inbred

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Chimpanzees are not monkeys.

Here's what this chimpanzee thinks.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Roughly 6% of every human who has ever lived is alive today.

Might be obvious but I found it interesting
    You mean there are zombies that are just arms or maybe lower legs? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Let's say that on average each generation is about 25 years (which I think is probably generous because people had children much younger in the past) and lets just say 2000 years ago for simplicity's sake.

So two parents, each having two parents, each having two parents etc all the way back 80 generations:

So every person on earth has about 1208925819614629174706176 direct descendants (not including brothers, sisters, aunts uncles and cousins) since just the year 0.

Not sure how that makes you feel insignificant.

If 1208925819614629174706176 people had to exist throughout history just to get to me that makes me feel pretty damn ball-tinglingly epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Here's what this chimpanzee thinks.

:pac:

That's no Panzee. That's an Orangutan. Oh, and is that guy stroking his lad with his foot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

And there was me feeling lonely......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

yuppies wrote: »

what's more, I think i read that the most recent common ancestor of everyone alive today lived between about 2,000 and 5,000 years ago, and the most recent time when every human alive was either the ancestor of everyone alive today, or left no descendants, was about 13,000 years ago (and would be less were it not for people who lived in isolated parts of the world for thousands of years)
    Correct.

When you go back a few generations you find inbreeding i.e. common ancestors on male and female sides of your family tree. Prince Charles is a good example. Afaik there is an ancestor in Prince Phillip's tree that is a full sibling of an ancestor in Elizabeth Windsor's tree about three generations back.

My 140,000 thoroughbred horse pedigree database can give you the family tree to twenty generations plus for all horses running today. The OP thinks you need a database of 2^20 = 1,048,576 to give the pedigree of one horse -140,000 horses is more than enough. I find that for horses about 70% of ancestors are duplicates at about 12 generations, and the further back you go the higher the percentage.

Think of it this way. Before cars were invented, and only rich people owned horses, who did you marry? Probably someone within walking distance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

There is only been about 49,000,000,000 people born, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm an O'Connor, Irish royalty. My ancestor once ruled this land. I plan on taking this nation once again and acquiring my rightful seat on Tara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'm an O'Connor, Irish royalty. My ancestor once ruled this land. I plan on taking this nation once again and acquiring my rightful seat on Tara.

Feckin blue blood. (give me some land)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Odelay wrote: »
    Feckin blue blood. (give me some land)

Patience peasant you'll get your land when I get power.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

42 is the answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Your numbers probably ignoring the fact that people would be pairing up with probably long distant relatives a few to dozens of generations away.

So that girlfriend you're currently with ? She's probably related to you off her great (x30) grand mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Genghis Khan. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Cillian13

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white

^^^ That will make you feel insignificant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Cillian13 wrote: »
    http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white

^^^ That will make you feel insignificant

everyone do yourself a favour and look at this.... WOW...

Duiske wrote: »
    That's no Panzee. That's an Orangutan. Oh, and is that guy stroking his lad with his foot ?

Oh if only I could do the same - would leave my hands so free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

bnt wrote: »
    I'm guessing the OP hasn't read 2001: A Space Odyssey (by Arthur C Clarke):

Generally it's not a good idea to take everything you read in a sci-fi novel as being true

al28283 wrote: »
    Generally it's not a good idea to take everything you read in a sci-fi novel as being true

He didn't. Read the bit you deleted out of his post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My sister (in the UK) investigated her family tree and discovered that she and her husband had a common ancestor only about 3 generations back.

Neither of the families had any current links with the other, her and her husband's families were from counties a hundred miles or so apart, and given the size of the population in the UK, this was some coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Pherekydes wrote: »
    He didn't. Read the bit you deleted out of his post.

Yea I did, it's not relevant to thinking the OP would know more if he had the the book, as the information about Clarke being somewhat correct wasn't it that book

al28283 wrote: »
    Yea I did, it's not relevant to thinking the OP would know more if he had the the book, as the information about Clarke being somewhat correct wasn't it that book

I'm not sure I get you, but you'll always know more if you read a book...

A lot of what Clarke predicted came to pass, or in the example given, was proven to be quite accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I find it interesting to think that life forms for the last, say 3 billion years, has lived long enough to have children or whatever you'd call it in early life forms, to end up with me. That's a long long unbroken line. A lot of pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I find it interesting to think that life forms for the last, say 3 billion years, has lived long enough to have children or whatever you'd call it in early life forms, to end up with me. That's a long long unbroken line. A lot of pressure.

While not everything lived to reproduce, all our direct ancestors did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Mathematics, you can't do it.

2^80 is 2x2x2x2... 80 times. You're looking for 2+2+2+2.. 80 times i.e.
    80 x 2.

Mathematics, you can't do it.

2^80 is 2x2x2x2... 80 times. You're looking for 2+2+2+2.. 80 times i.e.
    80 x 2.

You have 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, etc.

See the trend?

• Advertisement
Advertisement