Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

adult things that were daunting as a child

• 22-04-2012 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

After seeing the " Biggest let down when you became an adult " post i began to think.

As a child i used to lie in bed and worry about morgages (i know wtf like!!!) id be terrified that i wouldnt be smart enough to get one. Id hear my family discussing "variable interest rates" , and hear "Oh you should release the equity on your home" and id feel thick as a plank because i didnt have a clue what they ment

makes me giggle a little bit now:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I'm 24 and still don't know what they mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Have you got a mortgage now?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

I still don't know what they mean nor do the hundreds of new 'celebrity econimists' popping up every day on every radio/TV show.

best bit is I DON'T CARE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Have you got a mortgage now?

yup

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anal

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Having a child, I remember my father bitching about how much we cost him and thinking how the fcuk will I ever afford to have one. At present the time is fast approaching and I'm scared ****less, for one thing we're not even married.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I remember being worried that when i grew up i'd have to watch the news, here was me at 8 years old, thinking 'but i don't like the news, i don't wanna watch it!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

After seeing the " Biggest let down when you became an adult " post i began to think.

As a child i used to lie in bed and worry about morgages (i know wtf like!!!) id be terrified that i wouldnt be smart enough to get one. Id hear my family discussing "variable interest rates" , and hear "Oh you should release the equity on your home" and id feel thick as a plank because i didnt have a clue what they ment

makes me giggle a little bit now:)

Im guessing they regret that one now ;)

yup
    It's still pretty scary, isn't it?
    Having a child, I remember my father bitching about how much we cost him and thinking how the fcuk will I ever afford to have one. At present the time is fast approaching and I'm scared ****less, for one thing we're not even married.:eek:
    Don't worry about it, man. Best thing that'll ever happen to you, no matter how daunting it may seem now. I promise.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You and your father aren't married?......ok!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

antodeco wrote: »
    Anal

:(

giving or recieving

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

The dark:o, 5-6 years ago(im 18) once I got into bed that was it, wasn't going to wander around in the dead of night and get eaten alive by all sorts of ghouls!

I remember being worried that when i grew up i'd have to watch the news, here was me at 8 years old, thinking 'but i don't like the news, i don't wanna watch it!'

bahahahahahahahahahha:D

i am like an old biddy now with the news when i couldnt give 2 craps when i was younger, my dad would be saying to my mam " Oh the goverment has done this bla bla bla" and id be like "Dad simpsons on rte 2 will ya switch over"

Remembered also the major fear i had at 16 when i reliased id have to leave home soon, worried my ass off about how id pay the bills, and even got my mam to show me a few of the family bills so i could get a clue and lost my life at the price of some of them

Got a slap of reality when i moved out and learned of a thing called budgeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I-was-afraid-of-ghosts-that-was-the-sight-that-I-feared-most-I'd-rather-have-a-piece-of toast-and-watch-the-evening-news.

I-was-afraid-of-ghosts-that-was-the-sight-that-I-feared-most-I'd-rather-have-a-piece-of toast-and-watch-the-evening-news.

Any chance you were afraid of the dark , espically in a park, when there was no one else around???

did you get the shivers ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Any chance you were afraid of the dark , espically in a park, when there was no one else around???

did you get the shivers ? :p

Life! Oh life!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

For me it was knowing that one day I'd be an uncle and would have to find a way of convincing my nephew he was the dirty one:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Marriage. Still puzzles me. :rolleyes:

Jhcx wrote: »
    Marriage. Still puzzles me. :rolleyes:
    Ditto. Two kids, another on the way, mortgaged to me bollocks... doesn't really bother me at all.

Still can't get me head around that old marriage lark, though. Odd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Firearms. Took personal experience to get over that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Ditto. Two kids, another on the way, mortgaged to me bollocks... doesn't really bother me at all.

Still can't get me head around that old marriage lark, though. Odd.

All honesty i dont know weather to laugh or take you serious ha ha.
    I'll stick to the ald prenup. Walk away in the morning:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Prostitutes. The prices used to be preventative back when I was a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Prostitutes. The prices used to be preventative back when I was a kid.

When you're a kid you should use your pocket money for gob-stoppers.

When you're an adult you can graduate to knob-hoppers.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm 30 and still dont have a clue about mortgages, I wont be getting one any time soon, possibly ever so couldnt care less.

Work- what do you mean I have to stay til almost 6 pm? longer even? and you dont get the summer off?! whhaaaa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm afraid of doing long division and getting a remainder!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

When I was around 3-4, I used to think that some kids grow into women and will be forced into doing all the housework. F**king weirdo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

When I was around 3-4, I used to think that some kids grow into women and will be forced into doing all the housework. F**king weirdo!

They do. They're called girls.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I thought that you get an adult name when you became an adult. I asked my father what his child name was and he was amused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

I used to worry that it would become compulsory to watch the news when I was an adult and I found it so boring when my parents watched it that I really didn't think I'd be able to handle it. Weirdly, I like to check the headlines several times a day now.

• Advertisement

The army lads that used to guard the money. Saw them one day as we were driving off for the day. Spent the whole day hoping they'd be gone when we came home.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

I was scared of the leaving cert all through primary school. Such hype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Having a baby :eek: still terrifies me. How does that come out of there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

phasers wrote: »

with great difficulty! and gas, lots of gas! :D

my wife was high as a kite in the delivery room! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Using a drill or electric saw. Still feel all manly and stuff when I use them now. :)

Jesus, I don't know how they do it, tbh.

You see it on the telly and all that, but until it's happening to a part of someone that you presumably have fairly intimate knowledge of, you can't really grasp what really happens.

"Miracle of childbirth"? The people that go on about that are clearly on about the cool bit when they put the baby in your arms after it's actually arrived. They obviously (unlike me at the birth of my oldest) refused to give into the temptation of looking at the business end during the birth.

Holy. Fucking. Fuck.

My only advice to any fathers-to-be is to stay at the head end no matter how much your curiosity urges you to go south of the border. Seriously, take all the teeth-gnashing and verbal abuse from herself, no matter how long it goes on for, because it's infinitely preferable to the alternative.

I mean it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I do remember as a 12 year old being afraid I'd have to stop playing Pokemon because I was going to secondary school next year. I believe my older brother even told me as much. :rolleyes:

Tazium wrote: »
    Using a drill or electric saw. Still feel all manly and stuff when I use them now.
    Please tell me you weren't replying to phasers' post?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

This. So much.

The space in the pelvis isn't wide enough for a baby's head? It can't be. How??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

This. So much.

The space in the pelvis isn't wide enough for a baby's head? It can't be. How??

ah come on, lol, it stretches, a lot! :D

that and the baby's skull plates wouldnt have fully fused together, so the baby's head can squeeze through, the gas makes it somewhat easier... :D

and if i can just add to El Weirdo's advice above-

dont go in wearing a white shirt either for when they ask you do you want to hold the baby! :(

awkward... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

xsiborg wrote: »

that and the baby's skull plates wouldnt have fully fused together, so the baby's head can squeeze through, the gas makes it somewhat easier... :D

dont go in wearing a white shirt either for when they ask you do you want to hold the baby! :(

The above in bold is true, well it did for me anyway, i was far better able to cope with the stress of watching my oh give birth, this whole labour thing takes like forever.

• Advertisement

cruiser178 wrote: »
    xsiborg wrote: »

The above in bold is true, well it did for me anyway, i was far better able to cope with the stress of watching my oh give birth, this whole labour thing takes like forever.
    I got given out to by the Midwife for taking the gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Monopoly money. Went into a shop and tred to use it as actual currency to buy products. The people just laughed, and I went home disappointed.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Monopoly money..

how is that an adult things that were daunting as a child

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I got given out to by the Midwife for taking the gas.

Lucky you:D
    Feckers wouldn't even give me a paracetamol and I was the one having the child:mad:

Ask my missus. She says our first was bigger going in than it was coming out and our first was a healthy baby;)

I used to fear that when I was older, I'd up in prison for some reason. I still feel like it could happen even though I don't consciously break the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Suppose in my mind it was an adult thing. Money to me as a kid, was an adult thing and I guess I didn't realise the problem at the time.

Advertisement