Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

binoculars

Options
  • 22-04-2012 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there lads
    Im looking to buy myself a new pair of binoculars. I have €500 to spend and no more, i looked at Steiner 8x42 coming in at under €400. I found out they are owned by the Beretta group and and used by the Irish army and the US marines. I know there is bigger and better brands out there, but what do you get for the extra €1000 you have to spend,I know using them at dawn and dusk is a big one, but i have used a silver antler scope on my 22 mag rifle for years and has never let me down day or nite . I hope to start deer stalking this year, so new gun ,scope and the lease even the boots were €200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

hi form wrote: »
    Hi there lads
    Im looking to buy myself a new pair of binoculars. I have €500 to spend and no more, i looked at Steiner 8x42 coming in at under €400. I found out they are owned by the Beretta group and and used by the Irish army and the US marines. I know there is bigger and better brands out there, but what do you get for the extra €1000 you have to spend,I know using them at dawn and dusk is a big one, but i have used a silver antler scope on my 22 mag rifle for years and has never let me down day or nite . I hope to start deer stalking this year, so new gun ,scope and the lease even the boots were €200

Steiner are a great reliable bino, you wont go wrong there, had a pair for years, good quality, I found them a bit heavy for carrying around the neck when walking, but having said that they will last you years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

No experience with the Steiners but in the same price range there's the Kaps 8x42, which are brilliant. I use a pair myself and they're excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Dont rule out Leupolds,and if bought in the states turns your 500 into $650:D,very good binos in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭chrisdolan11

P.m sent

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

You have looked at Steiner Ranger Pro for this price I presume?

Kowa BD
    Hawke Frontier ED
    Kaps

are a better choice than Steiner in this price range. If you can go a little higher with price than look also at Vortex Viper HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Hi there lads

I have a pair of Stiners and have no problem with them day or low light they are 10X42. I can spot deer with them no problem. Even saw saw pair of hares with them only today about 350 400 yards as clear as they were in the next field

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Where can you buy the Kaps for a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

thelurcher wrote: »
    Where can you buy the Kaps for a fair price?

I got mine off Edi Graef (ejg on here) and they were very fair. Would recommend firing him off a PM and see what he can do for you. Absolutely delighted with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Hi there lads

I've been using Steiner binoculars, in and out of military service, for the last 30+ years. Who the company is now owned by is immaterial - they are nothing to do with anything made in Italy. As a matter of fact, Beretta also 'own' SAKO and TIKKA.

You might care to note that the Bundeswehr and most other military forces in NATO also use Steiner binoculars, as do most coastguards in the nations that have a coast to guard. I have three pairs - one set have a built-in flux-gate compass and mil grid as well as low-light red illumination, the other two are a 12x50 and 5x40 with rather odd-looking coatings on the lenses that cut down on certain unwanted emissions from other sources. All were bought on visits to the factory for a great saving.

I totally recommend them in every way - from the bottom range all the way up to the very top.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I got mine off Edi Graef (ejg on here) and they were very fair. Would recommend firing him off a PM and see what he can do for you. Absolutely delighted with mine.
    Perfect I'll get on to him about them. Wasn't sure that he actually stocked them - I knew he likes the brand though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

Kaps is a great brand but it does not produce Binoculars ;) They are produced in Japan and still have really great quality for the price. I my opinion better than Steiner Ranger Pro in sub 500€ class.

Kaps riflescopes on the other hand are produced by Kaps in Germany and also best buy with only one real competitor (Docter).

Advertisement