Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Expectations of a Primary Sub Teacher?

• 22-04-2012 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

HI all,

Would really appreciate some help with the following questions relating to subbing. I'm qualified since last year - trained in England and thereafter was working as a sub in Manchester for 6 months. However, the situation regarding books, lesson etc are completely different here in Ireland so...

As a Sub....are you expected to take your own lessons with you? Or should you continue onto the next page in the book? Do teachers expect you to follow their plans or is it as it is sometimes in England they would rather you did something totally different?

(What does planning look like in Ireland?)

Do we give homework?
    Do schools have general behaviour management policies or should I just do my own?
    Is it frowned upon to do an art lesson?
    If the teacher that's absent has a yard duty that day, am I to do it? (I don't mind but I just want to know my official duties)
    Awkward one, what's the pay here? And how long does it take to go through?

I hope someone has time to answer some of my questions on this sleepy sunday,

Thanks a bundle
    Shell

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I subbed for a year last year, so I can answer a few of these anyway from my experience.
    As a Sub....are you expected to take your own lessons with you? Or should you continue onto the next page in the book? Do teachers expect you to follow their plans or is it as it is sometimes in England they would rather you did something totally different?
    It doesn't hurt to bring your own lessons with you, in case the teacher has gone out sick suddenly and didn't get a chance to tell you what to work on. Most teacher's would probably be happy enough for you to just go onto the next page of the book and teach a bit of your own lessons if they're out for a day of two. If they're going to be out any longer than that they'll probably have left you a note giving you some idea of what to do.

If not, just try to pick up where the teacher left off.
    (What does planning look like in Ireland?)
    Cover strands, themes, lesson titles, materials required etc. As a sub you'll probably not need to write any (I never had to in any of the schools I subbed in)
    Do we give homework?
    I would say yes. Try to follow the teacher's usual routine as much as possible.
    Do schools have general behaviour management policies or should I just do my own?
    Schools will have their own policies on this, and the teacher will probably have some sort of set up in the classroom. You should use it.
    Is it frowned upon to do an art lesson?
    Not at all, the teachers would be delighted to have some nice art to hang up when they get back and the kids would love it too. (if you're brave enough to do it with a class you're subbing in :P)
    If the teacher that's absent has a yard duty that day, am I to do it? (I don't mind but I just want to know my official duties)
    Not certain on this, but no, you're probably not required or allowed do the yard. Someone in the school will cover for him/her.
    Awkward one, what's the pay here? And how long does it take to go through?
    After tax, about 130 - 150 a day(can't remember exactly). Payday is every second Thursday, but your first might take some time to get through. Be sure to bring all your details to school (bank/PPS etc.) so they can set you up on the system.

Hope that helps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Good advice DO, I'll be needing it soon myself.
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    After tax, about 130 - 150 an hour (can't remember exactly). Payday is every second Thursday, but your first might take some time to get through. Be sure to bring all your details to school (bank/PPS etc.) so they can set you up on the system.
    s

Really? :p I'm definitely in the right job so! No wonder everybody hates teachers;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    After tax, about 130 - 150 an hour (can't remember exactly). Payday is every second Thursday, but your first might take some time to get through. Be sure to bring all your details to school (bank/PPS etc.) so they can set you up on the system.

Hope that helps

:pac: We wish

:( beaten to it

Well it was at least 120 an hour, if you're on the Qualified rate! :P

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    :pac: We wish

:( beaten to it

By a minute!
    Well it was at least 120 an hour, if you're on the Qualified rate!

Do you not mean per day DO?!

• Advertisement

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHH! That's the one :o

/runs out of room in shame

Shhh... you nearly let the cat out of the bag for any non-teacher reading. If they knew what teachers are really paid they'd hate us even more:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shellibean

Hey all thanks for the comments esp onion! Really appreciate it, feel a little less apprehensive now knowing a bit more. I did do this for 6 months already...just feels like another world here!

Hope its a lovely sunday :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Be wary of the "our teacher always lets us:do 2 hours of PE a day, watch dvds, off homework,have 1 hr for lunch" crew, there are always a few chancers,if in doubt, send a child to teacher next door to check.

As a casual sub you will not be expected to do yard duty, longer term subs might be opted in, but will be paid for it ,if they do.Some subs offer to do duty anyhow, as a kind of foot in the door gesture, but it is not expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

No harm asking if there are any children in the class with issues you should be aware of (educational/medical/behavioural).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I'm subbing at the minute.

I usually have one or two generic lessons of my own prepared before I go in. For example, if I'm in infants I usually take in a Big Book and maybe some colouring sheets based on it. I might do a page or two of workbooks and sing a few songs/do some revision in Irish. I'd often do PE, Drama, or Art with the class as I find it's a good incentive to get them to behave during the day! I try to play some games on the IWB too.

I usually ask the prinipal about homework, and if I do give it I give very little (unless I know I'll be in the next day). I'd also ask about behaviour management strategies (some schools I sub in have reward charts that all classes use). I also take sweets/stickers with me.

The qualified rate of pay is 197 before tax :), it can take up to 4 weeks to go through. For example I subbed last week (April 16 - 121) but I won't get paid until May 10.

I'd also recommend to keep an eye on your pay as sometimes secretaries forget to put days in and I've had to call a few schools about it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

I'm subbing since September. The first thing I do is check the noticeboard in the staffroom for information relating to children with food allergies/health issues. I got an awful fright in a school once when a child started having a seizure in front of me....

Advertisement