Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin

Options
  • 22-04-2012 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭

Alright just about to jump on a flight to Darwin, I have to do what I believe to be a 10 minute job in the morning but to be on the safe side decided to stay until tuesday afternoon just in case. That means I might have a day and a half to myself, is there anything interesting to do while I'm there?

I have a hire car so am mobile enough.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Alright just about to jump on a flight to Darwin, I have to do what I believe to be a 10 minute job in the morning but to be on the safe side decided to stay until tuesday afternoon just in case. That means I might have a day and a half to myself, is there anything interesting to do while I'm there?

I have a hire car so am mobile enough.

Darwin is a sh1thole. Drive to Kakadu or go to Mary River to see some crocs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Darwin it self aint much of a place, it was smashed in 74 from a cyclone so most of the buildings are mid 70's looking things. most people in Darwin are not from Darwin so it struggles for its own idenity but as a base for going out doing things it brilliant if your into shooting and fishing, Kakadu is only about 3 hours away and a few things a lot closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Heard its a kip but never been there before, it's all last minute thing today.

Kakadu sounds good might have to upgrade the car to a 4WD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Heard its a kip but never been there before, it's all last minute thing today.

Kakadu sounds good might have to upgrade the car to a 4WD.

You need a 4WD for Jim Jim Falls and Twin Falls but for lots of Kakadu a normal car will do fine.

04072511 wrote: »
    You need a 4WD for Jim Jim Falls and Twin Falls but for lots of Kakadu a normal car will do fine.

Not to worry it was a 4WD anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Darwin isnt that bad, its no better or worse than anywhere else in Australia that isnt Melbourne or Sydney. The artificial waterfront thing is nice to read a book and have a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

There are some activities to do in Darwin. There is the artificial swimming area at the waterfront and there is a famous place you can go to handfeed sea fish. They even put in meat to attract some bigger fish. Crocodylus in the CBD - you can see lots of crocs including babies. You can go into the water in a container while they get the crocs to jump at food near you. If you like the crocodiles we did a Jumping Croc boat trip about 2 hours drive from Darwin. There was a very interesting little museum place right behind the big conference centre. And the Northern Territories Museum in the city outskirts was excellent. Especially their Aboriginal section which I found much more interesting and informative than that section in Melbourne Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

jumping crocs on the Adelaide river is quite entertaining !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A lot of people do fishing as well along the walk by the waterfront. Darwin is not too bad. Ya there is the backpacker drinking holes on some of the main streets but there is a lot to do up there if you are into the outdoors. It has a different feel to all the other main cities. Definitely worth a visit. Kakadu and Litchfield and Mary River for the crocs are all wonderful places to see.

Here are some links to photos.
    http://aussieholiday.com.au/photos/kakadu/index.htm
    http://aussieholiday.com.au/photos/litchfield/index.htm
    http://aussieholiday.com.au/photos/maryriver/index.htm

Thanks for all the tips, due back again week after next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement