Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

auction in the castlecourt

Options
  • 22-04-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how the auction went in Westport. It was run by gormally auctioneers and the crowd from secured property lendings. Heard it didn't go well for some reason

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

greenpilot wrote: »
    Anyone know how the auction went in Westport. It was run by gormally auctioneers and the crowd from secured property lendings. Heard it didn't go well for some reason

a thread which seams to have been delete on the galway cty forum says it was a shambles too.

listen out on mwr tomorrow or the mayo news or advertiser this week, they might have a piece on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

irishgeo wrote: »
    greenpilot wrote: »

a thread which seams to have been delete on the galway cty forum says it was a shambles too.

listen out on mwr tomorrow or the mayo news or advertiser this week, they might have a piece on it.
    Interesting. Simon power and Mr Weiss seem to be getting their cumuppance. I wonder if gormally knew what he was getting into..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

What was being auctioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

What is the story on these auctions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Big piece in Mayo news today about it. It is not online but here are some quotes from the Journalist Edwin McGreal.
    While a distressed property auction is a sign of the times so too was the outcome-only two of the ten lots which were up for auction were sold
    After three more bids it was sold for €10,000. Auctioneer Michael Gormally who had been quite restless up to then was visibly relieved to be able to bring down the gravel on the sale.

The crowd laughed heartily when Michael Gormally started the bidding at €100,000. He eventually accepted a starting bid for €20,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

bensweeney wrote: »
    Big piece in Mayo news today about it. It is not online but here are some quotes from the Journalist Edwin McGreal.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15146:distressed-property-auction-attracts-little-action&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭dozydelilah

having grown up in rural mayo, it is not the done thing to" pick the bones" of your neighbours when they fall on hard times!!!!!! you,ll have no luck for it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

having grown up in rural mayo, it is not the done thing to" pick the bones" of your neighbours when they fall on hard times!!!!!! you,ll have no luck for it!!!!

When I moved to rural Mayo 16 years ago I would have agreed with you, but not now I'm afraid.

Those days have gone or, at the very least, are fast going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I think this tradition is still alive and well. I recall not so many years ago an auction of land being sold on bank instructions. All neighbours attended, No bids,

This goes back to Land League days.

During that campaign near Westport a cow belonging to a widow Mrs Moran was put up for auction, Eventually a local did buy it. For generations afterwards it was "cast up" to his descendants " who bought the widow Morans cow?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

nuac wrote: »
    I think this tradition is still alive and well. I recall not so many years ago an auction of land being sold on bank instructions. All neighbours attended, No bids,

This goes back to Land League days.

During that campaign near Westport a cow belonging to a widow Mrs Moran was put up for auction, Eventually a local did buy it. For generations afterwards it was "cast up" to his descendants " who bought the widow Morans cow?"

I'd tend to agree with you but there's a hell of alot of people that are not local that tend to but these things up eventually, when the fuss dies down.

Houses in my parents time sold for pittance, and my parents generation didint buy because they simply didint have jobs and mortgages were a fantasy. Well it sounds all too familiar today....

• Advertisement
Advertisement