Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Villagers dig 40 mile trench to lay their own cable for Broadband

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Exactly what is needed in rural Ireland and with a bankrupt eircom that will not have enough cash to upgrade rural broadband beyond the normally current 7.6mbit speeds.

eircom will spend the bit of cash they have in urban areas, then they will go into examinership AGAIN in around 4 years time. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

There is an ever simpler and quicker way to do this, have a look at this promo youtube video from Swedish digger manufacturer Hud-Dig, the interesting bit is 2.36 in.

of course we could never do this here, it would be too simple and make too much sense, and that would never do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

zerks wrote: »
    Can't see this happening here in Ireland but villagers in part of England that was told they wouldn't be getting broadband have taken matters into their own hands and started digging a 40 mile trench to lay cable which will provide them with broadband.
    Each person who gets connected pays £150 connection fee then £30 a month plus they can buy shares in the company.
    It's a great idea imo and an example of how people took things into their own hands to get decent broadband.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2133261/The-Dig-Society-action-In-scene-worthy-Ealing-comedy-villagers-waiting-broadband-create-40-MILE-trench-lay-cable.html

article-2133261-12B47EFC000005DC-49_306x334.jpg

Might be a good idea forwarding this on the government sources (communications department) as the tend to be slow on forwarding thinking. Its something that should be done here.
    article-2133261-12940828000005DC-546_634x432.jpg

article-2133261-12A7EBCE000005DC-85_634x373.jpg

Might be a good idea forwarding this on the Irish government so they might bring this idea to the Irish people. It does my head in i can't upgrade (live in rural area) while city areas across the country can enjoy speeds upgrades from different providers all the time. It seems me to the DSL providers at the moment are only providing what Eircom does. Very little investment is being made by other providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    Might be a good idea forwarding this on the Irish government so they might bring this idea to the Irish people. It does my head in i can't upgrade (live in rural area) while city areas across the country can enjoy speeds upgrades from different providers all the time.
    Efficiencies of scale.
    It seems me to the DSL providers at the moment are only providing what Eircom does.
    Many of htem are piggy-backing on Eircom.
    Very little investment is being made by other providers.
    UPC and the mobile providers have spent money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

ah but in the uk they never have to contend with snail farms, reserve for native bats etc, or some rocks on the ground otherwise referred to as ruins from a 15th century castle etc.
    seriously how many times have roads been held up because of ridiculous obstacles....probably lose half the workers crossing the Bog of Doom....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Victor wrote: »
    UPC and the mobile providers have spent money.
    The point could well apply to rural areas as that is what the poster started talking about. The mobile networks "investment" is in access technology that can scarcely be classed as broadband or proper internet access. Also, UPC's own investment has been limited in coverage (still only 50% or so of houses covered with triple play) and has involved every aspect of the network being rebuilt to a very high standard rather than continue NTL's approach of simply adding DOCSIS to network segments and improving amplifiers etc. across wider areas. (and not necessarily having to replace every last piece of coax and look for new wayleaves etc) Meanwhile some large urban areas still rely on MMDS let alone cabled TV. And of course the small towns and rural Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭nilhg

jbkenn wrote: »
    There is an ever simpler and quicker way to do this, have a look at this promo youtube video from Swedish digger manufacturer Hud-Dig, the interesting bit is 2.36 in.

of course we could never do this here, it would be too simple and make too much sense, and that would never do :)

Eircom (well Telecom Eireann at the time) put miles of cables underground around here with a machine like that about 10 years ago, copper not fiber unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jbkenn wrote: »

I've laid cable using a similar set-up.It's pretty simple really & the cable is buried deep enough so as not to be caught with a plough if it's laid through fields.
    But as you said doing it makes too much sense and is too cost efficient so wouldn't be done in this country.

There ain't that much topsoil in the west. Then again if it is buried in a bog nobody is gonna dig it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There ain't that much topsoil in the west. Then again if it is buried in a bog nobody is gonna dig it up.

Tut tut, you can't be digging bog, what would our masters say?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    Might be a good idea forwarding this on the Irish government so they might bring this idea to the Irish people. It does my head in i can't upgrade (live in rural area) while city areas across the country can enjoy speeds upgrades from different providers all the time. It seems me to the DSL providers at the moment are only providing what Eircom does. Very little investment is being made by other providers.

What's it got to do with the irish government?
    Nothing will happen if you submit this to the government.

Unless there is scope for corruption of some sort, you'd be wasting your time.

Loughrea Co Galway now has fibre to the home...not eircom or upc but a few locals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Give me the capital and we can start up our own evil corporation :P If we got a few thousand people to sign up ye could fund a couple of small projects first - make some money off that and reinvest in further small projects and expands accordingly? As it expanded ye could then entice certain investers for small stakes in such a company either and reinvest into further advancement of infrastructure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Cloughjordan's eco village has fibre to the home:
    http://www.thevillage.ie/

This is used for voice and internet via a media converter. However it all end's in an Eircom DSL modem.However once the funds are available it just means upgrading the one local community PBX and the town already has fibre nearby in the Eircom exchange.

They had planned owning all the infrastructure, but in the end for financial reasons, the IT company that was involved ended up paying for the equipment, and hopes to make the money back long term.

The catches with that is the call costs are quite high and while cabling it 100% takeup is not 100%. There is a mobile phone mast nearby and some residents are using this and of course many do not want landlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I think the main problem in doing something like that here in Ireland is finding somewhere to connect to the backbone. There is very little information on what is where and I am sure if you were to call Eircom and ask if you could connect to the local exchange they would not have a clue what you were talking about.....

I recently contacted Magent about a building that had Fibre connected and the fees per month and connection were just silly. That was just for a 10Mb up and down connection.

Can anyone correct me on this, am I missing something? What needs to be done to connect to the main backbone network?

Can anyone correct me on this, am I missing something? What needs to be done to connect to the main backbone network?

To be honest that is only possible on a line between Dublin and Galway because there is very little dark fibre in Ireland and that area is where dark fibre and ducting is available.

Elsewhere one can get a layer 2 ethernet connection from eircom to certain Dublin datacentres where INEX peering is possible and then pick up layer 3 transit there as well but one is limited to non 'core' bandwith amounts up to around 500mbits. However eircom can do this ethernet provisioning in around half of their exchanges....some veeeeeery rural.

Core connections should run at 10gbit minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Forget the shovels and hire this for a couple of days

http://www.cwmags.com/cw-1-9/basic/page33.php

Advertisement