Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thanking 'god' but not the medical staff

• 22-04-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

This pisses me off.

Muamba, the footballer who collapses on the football pitch, was struck with a heart attack. His heart stopped beating naturally for over 78 minutes, and it was 'a miracle' that he did not have brain damage.

But the thing is, instead of thanking the medical staff who actually saved his life, he thanks an imaginary friend in the sky. How disrespectful can you get to the medical staff? They are in the most under-appreciated profession anyway without these loons disregarding them like this.
    For 78 minutes I was dead and even if I lived was expected to have suffered brain damage. But I'm very much alive and sitting here talking now. Someone up there was watching over me.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gamBDX-WS1VUzcevQbV-FtKBL2og?docId=N0461171335075052442A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Look a bit harder.

Religion-bashing thread fail.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1101855/muamba-thanks-doctors-after-release
    Fabrice Muamba admitted he will 'forever be in debt' to the doctors who saved his life after he was released from hospital, 30 days after being admitted after his horrifying cardiac arrest.
    Muamba, who received messages of support from across the world while in hospital, said: "I am naturally very pleased to be discharged from hospital and would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to every single member of staff at the London Chest Hospital who have played a part in my care.

"Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing and I will forever be in their debt. I also wish to say thank you to all the many well-wishers who have sent thousands of messages of support.

"Now I am out of hospital, I am looking forward to continuing my recovery and spending precious time with my family.''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Because to him and his faith, god helped those people save his life. What's the big deal? I saw the pictures of him thanking the staff too so get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

If you could be arsed beyond the haze of your atheist **** attack he thanked each and every member of the London Chest Hospital from the doctors to the paras and nurses, in a separate statement. I would go and link it to you but people with this level of intellect dont derserve my ctrl plus v.

Further proof that millitant atheists shoudnt be allowed to communicate without a responsible adult by their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Muamba paid treatment to the doctor, saying: "It was pure chance that Dr Deaner was in the crowd that day. I owe him everything. He is the reason I have been able to hold my baby son again and continue my life."

Thats from the same article, Im sure they meant to write tribute not treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I think its just a human thing, we instictivley say "Thank God", I wouldn't read too much into it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"It was pure chance that Dr Deaner was in the crowd that day. I owe him everything. He is the reason I have been able to hold my baby son again and continue my life."

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I Like lamp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Disgraceful thread to start on the Sabbath.

As I said, mate, dont bother with this level of spanner. I dont know, or indeed care, if there is a god or afterlife. I only hope there is so millitant atheists will be shown up on judegement day :pac: Pathetic pseudo intellectuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I Like lamp?

What does that mean??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Must troll harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Best of luck to him.
    You have a right to be an Atheist, he has a right to believe in God.
    It's called free will, i'd prefer if it was called mind your own affairs and stop being annoyed at others, whatever they want to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Well it is certainly another matter, a very serious one, when the Doctors get the God complex, examples would be Harold Shipman or our own Micheal Neary and many more.

So leave the patients believing in god rather then people thinking the doctors are god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

stovelid wrote: »
    Disgraceful thread to start on the Sabbath.

Sabbath for Jew's like me started yesterday, I'm sooo offended :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Don't be such an ugly bollix face he did thank the staff :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So he thank the god that struck him down in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

This pisses me off.

Muamba, the footballer who collapses on the football pitch, was struck with a heart attack. His heart stopped beating naturally for over 78 minutes, and it was 'a miracle' that he did not have brain damage.

But the thing is, instead of thanking the medical staff who actually saved his life, he thanks an imaginary friend in the sky. How disrespectful can you get to the medical staff? They are in the most under-appreciated profession anyway without these loons disregarding them like this.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gamBDX-WS1VUzcevQbV-FtKBL2og?docId=N0461171335075052442A

god favours muamba over the italian footballer who collapsed and DIED on the pitch last week in italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Tone it down Father Damo

Sabbath for Jew's like me started yesterday, I'm sooo offended :(
    for all other Jews it started on sundown on Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How disrespectful can you be to selectively quote someone (In a way that doesn't even befit a tabloid) to try and make them out to be disrespectful?

What's even worse is you did it just for a chance to get in a dig at religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Medical staff themselves will sometimes mention God when talking to patients and families. A couple of examples I can think of (one said by a consultant surgeon, the other by a consultant anaesthetist)

"We've done what we can for her now please God she'll pull through"

"I can't predict what will happen now, I'm not God although sometimes I wish I was, keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best"

biko wrote: »
    So he thank the god that struck him down in the first place?
    Maybe it was the devil who struck him down and god saved him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LOL, always gas to see these threads backfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

girl2 wrote: »
    What does that mean??

"anchorman" reference:

and apparently they're making a sequel of this "comedy"... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm all for a good religion criticisim thread but...fail, works better when you actually read the thing you're having a dig at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

This pisses me off.

I'd be pretty pissed off as well if i was afflicted by a disease that means when reading an article I can only comprehend the parts that might raise my ire a bit.

You poor bastard.

We'll have a collection for you next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

This pisses me off.

Quoting for posterity !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

This pisses me off.
    ]

How do you feel now? Considering how utterly wrong you were.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Even with the amazing efforts of medical personal, there was still an element of luck in him surviving. Piermario Morosini didn't get the same luck.

I'm an atheist but I can understand how if you had faith you might attribute this to god.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ help us all! not another religon thread, all I can say is thank God I'm an athiest:D

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Tone it down Father Damo

Why?

I regard militant atheism like Scientology. A joke of a belief for easily led people of low intellect.

I regard being a religious catholic as....I dont know really, given the fact that in 12 years of apparent Catholic run school education, a baptism, a communion, and a confirmation, I was educated absolutely fcuk all as regards the tenets of Catholic belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Why?

I regard militant atheism like Scientology. A joke of a belief for easily led people of low intellect.

I regard being a religious catholic as....I dont know really, given the fact that in 12 years of apparent Catholic run school education, a baptism, a communion, and a confirmation, I was educated absolutely fcuk all as regards the tenets of Catholic belief.

atheism isnt a belief, seriously how many times must people point this out to you, its a lack of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Why?

Because you're implying that because of their atheist "beliefs" people are of low intellect.

By all means have a discussion but leave out the small digs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Because you're implying that because of their atheist "beliefs" people are of low intellect.

By all means have a discussion but leave out the small digs

In fairness to him he said "militant atheists", who really are a bunch of morons.

In fairness to him he said "militant atheists", who really are a bunch of morons.
    From his posts he appears to consider declaring that you are athiest as a militant act in itself.

• Advertisement

I am not. I dont regard myself as an athiest. I also dont know if I believe in a god or not. I dont give it any thought. Mainly because it has as much to do with my everyday life as my belief in aliens or ghosts.

I think the fact that the OP completely jumped the gun and stated that while Muamba thanked god he seemed to have little or no belief that modern medicine had anything to do with his recovery, pretty much supports my view that the OP has made an utterly retarded opening comment fueled by his trend setting beliefs.

I am not. I dont regard myself as an athiest. I also dont know if I believe in a god or not. I dont give it any thought. Mainly because it has as much to do with my everyday life as my belief in aliens or ghosts.

I think the fact that the OP completely jumped the gun and stated that while Muamba thanked god he seemed to have little or no belief that modern medicine had anything to do with his recovery, pretty much supports my view that the OP has made an utterly retarded opening comment fueled by his trend setting beliefs.
    I regard militant atheism like Scientology. A joke of a belief for easily led people of low intellect.Your words Damo, your words!

lividduck wrote: »
    I regard militant atheism like Scientology. A joke of a belief for easily led people of low intellect.Your words Damo, your words!

Are you honestly stating that you think Scientology believers are people who are mentally sound?

Let me break it down

I regard Tom Cruise as retarded

I regard John Travolta as retarded

I regard the late Isacc Hayes as having been retarded

I regard Mel Gibson as a fcuking right wing Catholic nutjob with violent tendencies....but I dont regard him as clinically retarded or of low intellect.

Are you honestly stating that you think Scientology are people who are mentally sound?
    As an athiest I believe I am not only mentally sound but I do not consider myself to be either easily led or of low intellect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Erm. OP.
    "I would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to every single member of staff who played a part in my care."
    "Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing and I will forever be in their debt. I also wish to say thank you to all the many well-wishers who have sent thousands of messages of support."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17733022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Even if he did only than 'God', and not the doctors involved. Why would you or anybody else care?

I doubt the doctors would be too upset by it.. all they care about is treating the patient as best they can, and getting them back on their feet. If having a belief in a deity helps the person to recover then the doctors wouldn't be insulted by it, they'd most likely welcome it.

Some of the things that people react to here are bizarre. In a story like this there is no need to be annoyed or upset by what the person involved says, believes or thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Well I have certainly been put in my place - a lesson learned - research more before jumping to accusations. At least I hold my hand up and admit it.
    Why?

But to you Damo - "militant atheism"? Would you ever ****ing cop on to yourself. "Militant"? Are you actually serious?

Why?

First of all, as others have pointed out, atheism is not a belief, it is a lack of one. And secondly, you are saying that atheists are "people of low intellect"? Yeah okay, those who believe in science, over a man who is his own father and also happens to be a spirit and ghost, are the ones lacking in intellect :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anti-atheism is the new anti-Catholicism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

First of all, as others have pointed out, atheism is not a belief, it is a lack of one. And secondly, you are saying that atheists are "people of low intellect"? Yeah okay, those who believe in science, over a man who is his own father and also happens to be a spirit and ghost, are the ones lacking in intellect :rolleyes:

So to refute a point you decide to insult the "other" side.

The irony.

Well I have certainly been put in my place - a lesson learned - research more before jumping to accusations. At least I hold my hand up and admit it.
    Why?

But to you Damo - "militant atheism"? Would you ever ****ing cop on to yourself. "Militant"? Are you actually serious?
    Now this thread has got potential :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Research? Well you could at least read the entire article you quote and not selectively quote from it.

You were being disingenuous and got caught out.

So to refute a point you decide to insult the "other" side.

The irony.

I'm not refuting anything. It's called an opinion. And Damo is entitled to his just as much as I am entitled to mine.

Research? Well you could at least read the entire article you quote and not selectively quote from it.

You were being disingenuous and got caught out.

And I've admitted to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I just hate Trolls

• Advertisement
Advertisement