Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thanking 'god' but not the medical staff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Dave! wrote: »
    Well then most posters on Boards are quite 'tolerant' of religion... I have no problem accepting the existence and practice of religion. I just think it's a silly belief and practice, and have no problem with pointing out why.

People can believe what they want, though.

By numbers alone, I would agree with your first point that most Boardsies are quite tolerant, but there are a number of militant atheists and the vitriol and group think (and downright anti-Catholicism, e.g. a mod referring to them as sick flesh-eaters) can be quite alarming at times.

I definitely agree that people can believe what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Owen_S wrote: »
    Thank God for atheism.

and thank god for some people that can still have a sense of humor about the whole thing... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

im not popular enough to be different :D , i discuss the weather and football results in my local

You should dip your toe in the water some time, see what happens.

"Dya see United there yesterday? Some goal from Scholes werent it? Cos of the early kickoff I skipped Mass. Tbh, Im thinking of doing it more often. Awful aul nonsense aint it?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Agricola wrote: »
    Why not?
    :rolleyes: mmmm..... They dragged an angry 80 year old man out of the bar years ago on me, because I let him know I was an atheist when he started on me with all this Love Jesus stuff that made me uncomfortable. It sent him into a rage.

i disagree , the internet is a very open and liberal place to discuss issues , the shackles are off and people tend to be much more forthcoming , i would never even raise the issue of religon ( let alone athiesm ) in the real world , in a pub or some social setting

actually imho the internet is the LEAST open of places to discuss issues, because there are plenty of ass-hats that can drag down a good discussion. at least in the pub you can tell these people to F right off. cant do that here, no such thing as free speech and all that... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

krudler wrote: »
    It bugs me how people who have a belief in something think it affords them some sort of special rights that puts them beyond criticism, sorry, it doesnt. Its an opinion, nothing more. You can believe anything you want, but if other see those beliefs as ridiculous then thats their right to poke holes in them.

So it would be okay for people to ridicule and mock you for being a fan of wrestling?

So it would be okay for people to ridicule and mock you for being a fan of wrestling?

oh no you di'int.... :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

of course, that goes with the territory :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Read any of the threads about religion in after hours and note what is allowed to slide and what is not.

I have done and there are dicks on both sides who get warned as much Mod' attention as each other.
    However I can say that talking snakes, dead folk getting up and having a stroll, wafers becoming human flesh but magically / invisably so, ladies getting pregnant from magic cuddles from angels are all retarded notions .
    But i have not insulted any individual.

But you have insulted deep beliefs ( also you have the typical new atheists non- understanding of transubstantiation) and you have used deliberately joking language. You do that here because, given the demographic profile, you hope for thanks from fellow travellers.

I urge internet atheists to get out of the basement, and wipe their arses with the Koran outside the Finsbury mosque, since it is only a book and nobody could be reasonably offended.

Agricola wrote: »
    You should dip your toe in the water some time, see what happens.

"Dya see United there yesterday? Some goal from Scholes werent it? Cos of the early kickoff I skipped Mass. Tbh, Im thinking of doing it more often. Awful aul nonsense aint it?" :D

Did you see that game this afternoon? 4-4. Premier league may be in Man City's hands after all, thank God. That Catholic Mancini will probably get some divine intervention.
    He was an altar boy and played for the local Aurora Calcio football team in his youth. On one occasion, a fixture clashed with his first Holy Communion. Halfway through the ceremony, the eight-year-old Mancini was nowhere to be seen. His local priest who was administering his first communion frequently coached football, he heard they were losing 2–0 at half-time and so he asked a young Mancini quietly after receiving his communion if he had his football kit and boots with him. Roberto said they were in the changing rooms and so he told him to sneak out of the side door and put them on because his team needed him, unbeknownst to his father.[12]

In the pub you can tell them all how Mancini loves to go to Medjugorje. He went there last month, and the results so far have been extraordinary.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    :rolleyes: mmmm..... They dragged an angry 80 year old man out of the bar years ago on me, because I let him know I was an atheist when he started on me with all this Love Jesus stuff that made me uncomfortable. It sent him into a rage.

i had to laugh at this 'cause it reminded me of the other day when i posted about the fact that i went to a christian brothers school and there was a kid beside me that was a jehovahs witness, he used always be trying to get me to come to one of their prayer meetings, i was like "no!", drove me up the walls for the whole term... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Overheal wrote: »

Well maybe when he went home and calmed down for awhile, your words may have made him think on his violent and unnecessary actions. He may have converted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

marty1985 wrote: »
    If you want a theological debate go to a religion forum or approach a religious person and ask them in a sincere way. If you really want an answer, you are in the wrong place. Otherwise you could be just throwing that out there to add heat but no light.

My guess is that Christians view God as being inherently good, the very definition of good, so the concept of "blaming" God might take some explaining. They might believe that God has a destiny for them, that they can grow spiritually through suffering and emerge stronger, that God can give them strength to endure suffering, that they exist in an imperfect world where suffering and decay is a part of life, or something like that.

What Christians don't do, AFAIK, is have this weird idea that they are so supreme in the eyes of God that he will not allow them to suffer.

In any case, this thread probably should have not been dignified by several pages of posts.

it appears to me that believers dont measure god by human standards , if a fireman ran into a burning building and rescued a small child , he would be rightly praised and lauded , if a fireman sat on his ass and refused to even turn on the hose and a small child died in a burning house fire , the fireman would be villified , those are pretty standard considerations and judgements

when it comes to god , believers heap praise on god when a person undergoes cancer treatment and emerges fully recovered , when another person undergoes cancer treatment but dies within a few short months , they still heap praise on god and claim that it was the persons time to die and join god

im not saying thier is anything wrong with this way of thinking but its obvious that when discussing the issue of god with believers , you can more or less dispense with all other common forms of consideration and common understanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I have done and there are dicks on both sides who get warned as much Mod' attention as each other.
    However I can say that talking snakes, dead folk getting up and having a stroll, wafers becoming human flesh but magically / invisably so, ladies getting pregnant from magic cuddles from angels are all retarded notions .
    But i have not insulted any individual.

Your use of the word retarded suggests otherwise.

You should try to tone back the passive aggression, you might fool others, not me.

But you have insulted deep beliefs ( also you have the typical new atheists non- understanding of transubstantiation) and you have used deliberately joking language. You do that here because, given the demographic profile, you hope for thanks from fellow travellers.

I urge internet atheists to get out of the basement, and wipe their arses with the Koran outside the Finsbury mosque, since it is only a book and nobody could be reasonably offended.

whats the non understanding of transubstantiation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did you see that game this afternoon? 4-4. Premier league may be in Man City's hands after all, thank God. That Catholic Mancini will probably get some divine intervention.

In the pub you can tell them all how Mancini loves to go to Medjugorje. He went there last month, and the results so far have been extraordinary.

And after Stephen Pienaar's goal, what does he do? Pull up his shirt to expose a "God is great" t-shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

im not saying thier is anything wrong with this way of thinking but its obvious that when discussing the issue of god with believers , you can more or less dispense with all other common forms of consideration and common understanding

Of course there's something wrong with it; it's totally lacking in logic and full of contradiction and hypocrisy.

xsiborg wrote: »
    actually imho the internet is the LEAST open of places to discuss issues, because there are plenty of ass-hats that can drag down a good discussion. at least in the pub you can tell these people to F right off. cant do that here, no such thing as free speech and all that... :D

well there we disagree , nothing offends me on the internet , its not remotely personal , i never remember a thing ive said or had said to be while online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

whats the non understanding of transubstantiation?

I am not here to teach Greek philosophy. Try the wiki entry on substance, to start.

• Advertisement

They would only do that if there was a wi fi. hot spot nearby, gotta keep their keyboards juiced up!

I am not here to teach Greek philosophy. Try the wiki entry on substance, to start.

jesus's flesh literally turning into wafers, thats the basics of it yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

lividduck wrote: »
    Are you honestly stating that you think Scientology are people who are mentally sound?
    As an athiest I believe I am not only mentally sound but I do not consider myself to be either easily led or of low intellect.

Yet you can't spell the word? I kid, I kid.

I'm beyond bored of "militant atheist" accusations. Seriously, what a load of tripe. What makes someone a militant atheist? Is it a person who openly admits to being an atheist? Is it someone who isn't afraid to challenge or discuss discerning religious issues?

And after Stephen Pienaar's goal, what does he do? Pull up his shirt to expose a "God is great" t-shirt!

Well Holy God!

vard wrote: »

I'm beyond bored of "militant atheist" accusations. Seriously, what a load of tripe. What makes someone a militant atheist? Is it a person who openly admits to being an atheist? Is it someone who isn't afraid to challenge or discuss discerning religious issues?

Well, a few pages back the consensus among some here was that it is people who maintain religious beliefs must not be tolerated and must be ridiculed.

mloc wrote: »
    Of course there's something wrong with it; it's totally lacking in logic and full of contradiction and hypocrisy.

so are discussions about many issues , im presently a member of an american internet forum called city data , the republicans on that forum are convinced that the super rich should pay lower rates of income tax than someone who pumps gas for a living by virtue of the fact that donald trump creates more jobs , hypocrosy is not the sole preserve of the religous

im ok with the peculiar rationale of believers providing it doesnt interfere with how the state opperates

• Advertisement

vard wrote: »

nope, it's a person with a persecution complex who tries to be "contravershall" when all others see them as an attention seeking ass-hat who is afraid of having a sensible discussion on the issue and instead chooses to dismiss others as idiots for their faith.

they mostly hang out in After Hours where they'll get more attention than if they used the correct forum to air their views, because they're afraid of being torn apart by actual atheists or those of a religious persuasion. they do more of a dis-service to atheism than actually helping others to understand what it is to be an atheist.

it's the pseudo-intellectual "anti-anything-establishment" hipster kids that seek attention in this way though, not any actual atheist who has respect for other people's religious beliefs. its easy to spot the difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well, a few pages back the consensus among some here was that it is people who maintain religious beliefs must not be tolerated and must be ridiculed.

I don't think there's a consensus on that. The consensus might be "religious belief must be permitted to be ridiculed and criticised, just like any other belief", which I think is fair, don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Someone who is militant about his atheism. Like getting upset at a fairly benign use of language ( thank God)
    In that case, I'll take that 'militancy' over suicide bombs and attacks on abortion clinics.

I think the issue isn't what Muamba said or didn't say, more to do with what the media concentrates on - miracles, God, etc.

so are discussions about many issues , im presently a member of an american internet forum called city data , the republicans on that forum are convinced that the super rich should pay lower rates of income tax than someone who pumps gas for a living by virtue of the fact that donald trump creates more jobs , hypocrosy is not the sole preserve of the religous

im ok with the peculiar rationale of believers providing it doesnt interfere with how the state opperates

It will if the republicans win in November.
    Its called party policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

So do atheists believe God doesn't exist.

If they do, is that not a belief?

• Advertisement

I don't think there's a consensus on that. The consensus might be "religious belief must be permitted to be ridiculed and criticised, just like any other belief", which I think is fair, don't you?

i wouldn't think it fair on any belief Dave to ridicule it. certainly provide critical thought on the issue by all means, but ridicule and disrespect should never be tolerated or perpetrated by anyone as it only serves to make people dig their heels in and become even more ingrained in their ideas and nobody learns anything.

Min wrote: »

Now thats a noodle scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

biko wrote: »
    So he thank the god that struck him down in the first place?

That's just what I was going to ask, but I was afraid people might think I was bashing religion.:D:D:D:D

That's not a definition of anything. The militant atheist is characterised by what he does and says. I could agree to the above, tolerate militant atheists and still dislike militant atheists. The difference it seems is between "must be permitted to be ridiculed" and "must be ridiculed". Consider Dawkins and his "reason rally" and the instruction to ridicule believers with contempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Kiera wrote: »
    Now this thread has got potential :D

:D:D:D

do you believe that santa claus doesnt exist

if not , is that not a belief ?

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    That's just what I was going to ask, but I was afraid people might think I was bashing religion.:D:D:D:D
    No one would ever think that petal.

No one at all.

no atheists just lack a belief in a god(s), its really simple and people keep having problems with it, I dont get it.

no atheists just lack a belief in a god(s), its really simple and people keep having problems with it, I dont get it.

Because it goes against the established common usage. But you just can't trust dictionaries these days.

So when it comes to God that is what they believe regarding the existence of a God.

• Advertisement

do you believe that santa claus doesnt exist

if not , is that not a belief ?

Santa Claus existed as Saint Nicholas, and is said to be buried near Jerpoint in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Atheism is a religion in the same way "off" is a television channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Really?

I'm an atheist and nobody has ever had a problem with it. My parents might jeeringly pretend to lament it, but I think that to say someone has a problem with it would be a gross exaggeration.

Somehow I think a lot of the more militant types almost desire an adverse reaction.

Here's what I and many others do: be comfortable in your atheism and leave others to their beliefs as well. Accept that lots of perfectly intelligent human beings are people of faith, and move on. I find it works a treat.

So when it comes to God that is what they believe regarding the existence of a God.

It varies between a belief that there is no god, a (positive) disbelief or rejection in the belief of God.

The passive lack of belief has traditionally been agnosticism.

The idea that agnosticism is also not to be tolerated is associated also with New Atheism and militant atheism.

Anthony Flew tried to redeploy the word atheist to mean a passive lack of belief. This was picked up by the New Atheism.

It probably will be redefined by dictionaries to be a passive lack of belief, if that becomes the established common usage.

It still doesn't appear to be - outside of the current atheist 'movement'. (I use the word movement for lack of a better word, not to irk anyone.) But that can change.

Huberous. WTF.
    This thread is fcuking gold.

"hubris" then... geez, did you miss the top sticky in AH about spelling nazi's? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Wow, that's new. Did you come up with that argument yourself?

From the OED : "Atheism: disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."
    The former (disbelief) could be argued to be so. The latter (lack of belief) could not. I choose to identify with the latter, as do most other atheists I know, so to answer your question, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

If you make an assertion that something exists, then the burden of proof lies with you. Not me, otherwise my supposed 'beliefs' would run to infinity.

Thread to be closed soon.

Santa Claus existed as Saint Nicholas, and is said to be buried near Jerpoint in Kilkenny.

ok , rudolph then

later12 wrote: »
    Really?

I'm an atheist and nobody has ever had a problem with it. My parents might jeeringly pretend to lament it, but I think that to say someone has a problem with it would be a gross exaggeration.

Somehow I think a lot of the more militant types almost desire an adverse reaction.

Here's what I and many others do: be comfortable in your atheism and leave others to their beliefs as well. Accept that lots of perfectly intelligent human beings are people of faith, and move on. I find it works a treat.

thank you later12 for this post, it exemplifies exactly what i was saying earlier about hipster kids desperate for attention that want everybody to know they're now "an atheist", as if it's the new "i dont conform to the norm" for this generation.

what they fail to realise is that people have far more on their minds than little johnny who never got enough attention growing up and now seeks out a way to be "different" just so he can get attention by getting up people's noses.

most people have no problem with atheists, they have a problem with ass-hats that feel the need to shove their new found pseudo-intellectualism in their faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

lividduck wrote: »
    I think its just a human thing, we instictivley say "Thank God", I wouldn't read too much into it.:)

After Hours fail

Please add more sexism, racism, blame the government-travellers-non nationals-religion-British-Roma-isms and take swipes at other posters comments.

Or at the very least, mention a fanny pad on your car door. :pac:

Advertisement