Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyme disease conference Dublin June 5

Options
  • 22-04-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

This is a relevant issue for all of us that enjoy the outdoors as the possibility of contact with Ticks carrying lyme disease is a real and present risk.
    Lyme disease can have very severe consequences if not treated correctly and I personally know a man who now has to use a mobility scooter to get around after contracting lyme disease and having it go undiagnosed for a period of time.
    I have no affiliation with this conference but I just thought I would bring it to the notice of the community here as many here would have found ticks on themselves or perhaps their dogs/kids etc.
    The Tuesday session is the relevant one for hunting/shooting people.
    http://www.ticktalkireland.org/lymeconference.html.
    Mods I hope this is OK to post?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

this is a serious concern of mine as I come across tons of them while shooting the ferral goats.Only last week I took photos of the inside leg of a goat,the ticks were everywhere on it and the rest of the body wasnt much better
    074.jpg
    071.jpg
    Im going to have to get advice on this matter cause its a real issue with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I saw a hind that had been hit in a RTA and her ears were infested with Ticks.
    There must have been maybe 20 or more!
    They are everywhere, I have taken 2 off my dog in the last month or so.
    The O'Tom tick twisters are the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

Thanks for posting.

The ticktalkireland site is well worth a read.

Looking at the 73 symptoms though - who over 30 wouldn't have 4 or 5 of them at any one time.
    I'd be interested in what the experts think about whether those of us more at risk should go for tests - and if so how often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

I thought i had lymes 2 years ago ,i live near the Pheonix park so i would often bring the dog for a run around there between March and August to stay off club land .The routes i would go with the dog wouldnt be the normal well walked tracks,were i would go would be full of heavy gourse and heavy cover which ment i was ripping the ****e out of myself aswel.
    One of the days when i got home i was getting changed i noticed at tick on my hip so i pulled the ****er out with a twezzers, and checked the dog ,she was clean.
    The next day i woke up i was sick as a dog the area were the tick was ,was all red and swollen and i had a feaver and was holulicinating ,my whole body ached and i couldnt move in the bed ,i broke out with red spots all over me and i really thought i was dying i was that bad.
    My wife started googling the symptoms and the tick bite and all of it pointed to lymes , so she brought my up to the doctor ,i was a mess at this stage i had no energy i couldnt even walk without her help.
    So i went in and explained my symptoms and showed him the bite mark, he told me that lymes dosn't exceist in Ireland and that i had the flu and the bite was just a coincendence.
    I told him he was talking ****e and that to look up tick talk and that there were plenty of examples of it in our Country.
    My wife was paro about the tick so my clothes that i wore that day (deerhunter:mad:)all the other clothes in the wash basket with them , the duvet ,pillows and covers all got ****ed out.
    So the next day she got back on tick talk and seeked help and one of the girls on it recomended Dr Fry , he sits in a few different places but he is Irelands leading expert in Topical dieseses.
    We headed out to see him in Bray and he checked me over, he told me i hadnt got lymes , that i had tick bite feaver, when i pulled the tick out he spit venom back into the skin, so he priscribbed antibiotics and cream for the bite.After a week i started to get better but the tiredness and fatigue kept up for a couple of weeks, i still get that feeling every now and again.
    All together that one tick bite cost me about 2000 euro and months of feeling crap.

Advertisement