Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro Nvidia issue

Options
  • 22-04-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Having the exact same problem as this dude with a 4 year old MacBook Pro.

Brought it to Compu B and paid 70 lids to get a full diagnostic report and they can't say it's the Nvidia that's caused the problem as it won't boot up, so they can't test it.

I rang Apple and they told me they won't be offering any repair. Thinking of heading down the Small Claims Court route, any advice would be great. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If it was a manufacturing problem/fit for purpose, would it not have shown up in the last 4 years?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

davo10 wrote: »
    If it was a manufacturing problem/fit for purpose, would it not have shown up in the last 4 years?

The Nvidia issue only shows up when the card breaks, it was a manufacturing fault to do with the adhesive used.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

where did you buy it, you would be bringing a claim against the retailer, are they still in business?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

To me 4 years later seems a little long to win a case

Although with the evidence of a previous seemingly high profile case maybe you would win but I dunno.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    To me 4 years later seems a little long to win a case

Edit: Although with the evidence of a previous seemingly high profile case maybe you would win but I dunno.

I dunno, the OP's laptop cost at the very least €1600 when it was bought, possibly (and likely) more depending on the spec. The Nvidia fault with this particular line of macbook pro's is well documented, the problem the OP has is not being certain the laptop's failure is in fact down to a faulty Nvidia graphics card.

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    I dunno, the OP's laptop cost at the very least €1600 when it was bought, possibly (and likely) more depending on the spec. The Nvidia fault with this particular line of macbook pro's is well documented, the problem the OP has is not being certain the laptop's failure is in fact down to a faulty Nvidia graphics card.

I'd agree and that's where my concern is. But the small claims court is cheap enough to appeal to and maybe a computer repairs shop could confirm the cause? Either way maybe the low enough cost would be worth the risk?

I'd agree and that's where my concern is. But the small claims court is cheap enough to appeal to and maybe a computer repairs shop could confirm the cause? Either way maybe the low enough cost would be worth the risk?

There's another little problem the OP would have to confirm, how much did the laptop cost? if it was over €2000, then the SCC is out.

Mactard wrote: »
    There's another little problem the OP would have to confirm, how much did the laptop cost? if it was over €2000, then the SCC is out.

Well the court deals with claims up to 2000 so I dont think he needs to prove the original cost but rather the repair cost being 2000 or less. No?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I would assume you get award the cost of the machine less the depreciation of 4yrs which you've been using it. Best way to find that out is to find the average price of the same computer now. You'd be entitled to that amount back I assume.

I dont know BostonB. I suspect they'd approve the cost of the repair (in this case a new motherboard) which would cost a lot less then 2000euro. The link above on citzens information gives a good guide to appearing in the small claims court so OP, if you do pursue this route, take a read and let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 shiftee

I am also interested in going the small claims court route. I have yet to look into the process as my final year exams are looming but please keep us updated

I dont know BostonB. I suspect they'd approve the cost of the repair (in this case a new motherboard) which would cost a lot less then 2000euro. The link above on citzens information gives a good guide to appearing in the small claims court so OP, if you do pursue this route, take a read and let us know how you get on.

You can't fix the Nvida fault. All these chips fail eventually. Its a design flaw and they never fixed it. A new motherboard might fail a week later or 4yrs later. Its pretty random. If you're not a heavy user you might delay the failure for a while even a few years, but they will always fail eventually.

BostonB wrote: »
    You can't fix the Nvida fault. All these chips fail eventually. Its a design flaw and they never fixed it. A new motherboard might fail a week later or 4yrs later. Its pretty random. If you're not a heavy user you might delay the failure for a while even a few years, but they will always fail eventually.

Why not a new motherboard with a different chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Last week I had a problem with my almost 4 year old MacBook Pro where it would boot (I could hear hd) but there was no display. I also brought it to CompuB who informed me of the €69 diagnostics charge which would be waived if it was an Apple covered fault. They diagnosed the Nvidia issue and repaired it at no cost to me.

Apple are covering the Nvidia issue for 4 years from purchase date: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

It is possible that your problem isn't this particular issue. I hope you get sorted.

Why not a new motherboard with a different chip.

Because they never made a motherboard with a different chip for that chassis.

All the Nvidia chips of that range have the flaw, no matter if they are in a Apple, Dell, IBM, desktop or laptop.

In some other makes like Dell you have the option of replacing the motherboard that has a Nvida chip, with a motherboard, with one with basic intel gfx. But apple never made a board like that for the Macbook Pro.

As far as I know at least.

Advertisement