Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever been humbled?

• 22-04-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Recently I spent some time in hospital due to a life-changing health issue. Words can't describe my gratitude for the excellent care received from the Consultants, Doctors, Nurses and, well, everyone involved. Anyway. I was waiting to be released (there's nothing like your own bed) and getting self-importantly irate (internally seething) at the delay in getting the forms signed off... along comes the registrar and calmly explains they were on the resuscitation team and had a call. Think about it, this person was saving a person's life while I was having my little hissy fit. Deeply humbling.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah, you can't knock someone for saving people's lives. That being said, I work in a hospital and 99% of the doctors are utter bastards.

Personally, I've a close family member who has terminal cancer. Yet he's still determined to get on with it, goes to work, looks after the kids, and even painted his fence yesterday. He knows what's coming, he's not in denial, he just wants to keep strong for the sake of his wife and kids.

If that was me, I don't think I would have the inclination to even get out of bed. I genuinely feel humbled by his spirit and attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did they not know the United game is on!

These people just CAN NOT prioritise!

Kids scouring dumps in Asia and the live there, water charges aren't so bloody bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

brummytom wrote: »
    Yeah, you can't knock someone for saving people's lives. That being said, I work in a hospital and 99% of the doctors are utter bastards.

Are you a radiologist by any chance? Met a lovely radiologist a few months ago when I was in hosp, called Tom with a brummy accent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Words can't describe my gratitude for the excellent care received from the Consultants, Doctors, Nurses and, well, everyone involved.
    And god, don't forget about god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Consultants think they are God

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

..its not just the consultants that have the god complex, i have seen shos and registrars suffer from the same affliction..

daithi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Are you a radiologist by any chance? Met a lovely radiologist a few months ago when I was in hosp, called Tom with a brummy accent...

how could you not know brummytom !! ..... he's a 16yr old school girl who lives in malaysia :D

he's been around these parts for many a time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

biko wrote: »

biko im getting you a wooden spoon for christmas! :D

lots of times OP i've been humbled, but your OP reminded me of an incident when i was in hospital in the cappagh for a hip operation. you'd want to see the amazing work they do in there to truly believe it.

for instance in the morning you'd meet an amputee wheeling down the corridor in his wheelchair, then in the afternoon you could meet the same guy trying out a pair of artificial limbs, turned out the guy was a tennis coach, so to him i cant imagine what it felt like for him to be able to walk again.

then there were the children who suffered from conditions such as scoliosis and lukemia (where this particular teenager would have to have his leg amputated), and to see how he made others around him smile and laugh, was something quite humbling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

biko wrote: »
    Is my favorite Mod making mischief?:D

Checks TV guide for the coming month as he awaits the "I've just banned you again email...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 siezetheday

God's cool, doesn't need a credit in the movie :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

brummytom wrote: »

I actually find doctors the most focussed and hardest working people in hospitals. The amount of times they get let down by allied healthcare professionals is unreal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Recently I spent some time in hospital due to a life-changing health issue. Words can't describe my gratitude for the excellent care received from the Consultants, Doctors, Nurses and, well, everyone involved. Anyway. I was waiting to be released (there's nothing like your own bed) and getting self-importantly irate (internally seething) at the delay in getting the forms signed off... along comes the registrar and calmly explains they were on the resuscitation team and had a call. Think about it, this person was saving a person's life while I was having my little hissy fit. Deeply humbling.

sounds like the onset of depression tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 47 siezetheday

You couldn't be more wrong Dr Paky. :cool: but thanks for the insightful contribution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Many an attempted humiliation on my life. I must just drip cool or something.. like bressie.

Advertisement