Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i daft ????

Options
  • 22-04-2012 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hello everyone !

well due to certain reasons ive decided im going to oz at the end of the summer on a 417 WHV. I have a few questions that im unsure about. im only finishing 5th year now but will be 18 in june :) my first question is can i apply when im 17 or must i be 18 to apply ? im just worried that if i apply in june it wont be ready for august ?

also how much money must i have in the bank before i can go ?

i will more than likely be heading out with a few others and i know people out there so hopefully i may have some work lined up. i have worked 2 summers with a stone mason and 2 in a stone yard dealing with customers and driving a jcb and stuff. i know its not proper expeirence or anything but im outgoing and have no problems dealing with the public. would it be hard for me to get a job as a labourer in cities? i dont think i would like mining but as a last resort i would.

also i know its a long way away but if i got sponsered and could stay on for another 12 months would i have to return home after the 2 years?

also ive done fairly well at school and got good junior cert results so i was just wondering is there any sort of course or night programme to complete secondary education...not that important to me atm but it would be a bonus. i would have no problem doing my leaving cert when/if i come home.

sorry for all the questions but if you could answer any of them it would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Do your leaving cert first. Seriously!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 funnyMan101

04072511 wrote: »
    Do your leaving cert first. Seriously!!

I would love to but thats out of the question for certain reasons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smile it confuses people

hello everyone !

well due to certain reasons ive decided im going to oz at the end of the summer on a 417 WHV. I have a few questions that im unsure about. im only finishing 5th year now but will be 18 in june :) my first question is can i apply when im 17 or must i be 18 to apply ? im just worried that if i apply in june it wont be ready for august ?

i will more than likely be heading out with a few others and i know people out there so hopefully i may have some work lined up. i have worked 2 summers with a stone mason and 2 in a stone yard dealing with customers and driving a jcb and stuff. i know its not proper expeirence or anything but im outgoing and have no problems dealing with the public. would it be hard for me to get a job as a labourer in cities? i dont think i would like mining but as a last resort i would.

also i know its a long way away but if i got sponsered and could stay on for another 12 months would i have to return home after the 2 years?

also ive done fairly well at school and got good junior cert results so i was just wondering is there any sort of course or night programme to complete secondary education...not that important to me atm but it would be a bonus. i would have no problem doing my leaving cert when/if i come home.

sorry for all the questions but if you could answer any of them it would be great!

Hey so here's what I no hope it helps
    First I hunt think if u go to fas they can help u with ur lc so can youth reach and an allowance is usually given

Regarding oz my ex recently went over and he loves it but he expected to get work easier he is an experienced driver with lorries and with machinery and has all his licences but he says do as many courses like health and safety an stuff over here cause a lot of the sites he applied for he had to have them he did get work on like week 2 but at that stage the bulk of his money was gone on phone food rent that sorta thing and he had people to stay with when he got there and doesnt drink that much so bring enough tO do ya a few weeks (bout 5000) u need at least 3500 in the bank heading over

Visa wise I'm not too sure it only takes like a day to come thru though so u could wait till ur 18 but ur best bet is to email or ring a visa company like visafirst or usit

Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

In response to the question in your title: yes.

A WHV can get processed in an hour.

$5000 so about E4000 + the cost of flights, visa & insurance but this is minimum.

You will find it very difficult to get a job in the city as you are so young with no formal qualifications or real experience.

You have ZERO chance of getting a job in the mines.

If you do 88 days, specified work in a regional postode, you can get a second year visa. To stay on after this you will need either 457 sponsorship or PR.

You cannot do educational courses of longer than 4 months on a WHV so no there is no course you can do equivalent to the LC.

Finally to echo the last poster FINISH YOUR LEAVING CERT...if you've been kicked out of school, find another one. If your parents can't afford to send you, apply for a grant.

I know people with Leaving Certs, degrees and 2+ years experience struggling to get work over here. I really think your best bet is to at least get your LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 funnyMan101

thanks for the replys people :D

i will be going either way. i havent been kicked out of school or anything like that. its a personal choice im making for certain reasons :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

To answer your question in a word: Yes!

Definitely complete your school education and if possible do more than that, as you will not be funded to do university education outside the EU.

Also, once you're out of Ireland for a certain period of time, you basically lose all your rights to free education at 3rd level until you've been habitually resident for 3 years again.

So, think about it long and hard before throwing away what is worth tens of thousands of Euro.

You will put yourself at a really serious disadvantage in Ireland and anywhere else you travel if you decide not to finish school.

If you've some problem with your current school, find a new one!
    If you can't afford that, as someone pointed out contact Youth Reach and your local FAS office / social welfare office.

Have a chat with a friendly school principal or find a teacher you can talk to!

I am not even sure that you would be granted a visa to most countries without at least a high school education. So, you would be basically restricting yourself to finding work within the EU if you do that. Most destinations are looking for skilled, educated workers, not high-school drop outs. (I don't mean to sound offensive by that, but it's fact)

You will not necessarily be able to pick up where you left off in Australia and do the HSCs, which are similar to the Leaving Cert. as you're unlikely to be eligible for school funding there either nor would your visa be likely to allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

The sillyness of youth. Get all thoughts of Australia out of your head right now. Your education comes first.

Learn to use capital letters by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You are most certainly daft.

Just turning 18 you will qualify for WHV but you will find that the vast majority of WHVers are in their early 20s and usually have a trade, degree or a few years work experience. The only young ones I ever met were on gap years before going on to Uni and a lot had a parental contributed credit card as safety net. You seem dead set regardless, you're either naive or over confident.

Australia may seem like the land of opportunity from far away, but it can be a harsh place. Most people work hard for their money and often long hours. It's a country of extremes especially with the weather. A warm day here is 27c, hot is 35c+ and cool is 18c. Fine if you're on holiday, but laboring in the heat is another story.
    Cash wise, you should have a minimum of 4000E after you've bought your flight tickets. This is to allow for not getting that job, paying rent and a couple of weeks living expenses. More and more are arriving here on WHVs and there are no guarantees so always have cash to fall back on.

I think that you'd be doing yourself a disservice in the long run by coming here in August. You have plenty of time unless the world is ending later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hello everyone !

Good name OP, funniest post I read on here all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Yes, the truth is, you are daft.

You have zero chance of getting sponsorship in Australia. You must have a recognised qualification or years of experience in a field. You have neither, and on a WHV at 18, you will get neither.

I cannot see any reason great enough in the world that you would give up on your education. There will be loads more people more qualified than you applying for the same jobs as you. The harsh truth is anyone who comes here without AT LEAST, and I cant stress that enough, at least a high school education is delusional.

Whatever your reasons for not finishing school- get over them! You will not be the exception, you will struggle here.

• Advertisement

Basically, the reason there is so much hype in Ireland about Oz and Canada is quite simple - there is still demand for construction workers & related trades and professions there. Ireland had a massive over-supply of these trades and professions because we had a huge and totally disproportionate building boom followed by the complete collapse of the construction sector, which obviously created large unemployment as an entire sector (which was oversized anyway) basically disappeared in about 1 to 2 years. Then, that caused a collapse in tax income, increased welfare payments and the bank bail outs caused a huge and a fiscal imbalance which has resulted in a knee-jerk reaction of a public sector recruitment freeze which has meant a lot of medical staff etc can't find positions here.

People with those kinds of skills are still in demand in Australia and Canada in particular and are still finding opportunities there.

If you do not have any experience or qualifications at all, you will find the jobs market in Canada or Australia every bit as tough as you would find it in Ireland. The range of jobs is similar outside of the construction / mining sectors and the competition for them is also similar. So, being in Oz won't really be any advantage to you at all.

Ireland has a great education system, and has in many ways, better educational opportunities than the vast majority of countries as there is very well funded access not only to university, but also to other post-high school qualifications in trades, in technical skills etc etc via the ITs, VEC colleges, FAS, and other agencies.

If you go to Australia, you are basically putting yourself in a position where you are competing with low paid, unqualified people from Australia and also non-skilled migrants.

That's a really tough life!

It's not 1912 and high school qualifications and other qualifications are expected these days even for relatively non-intellectually challenging work!

If you're struggling with the LC, perhaps you should look at switching to the Leaving Cert Applied programme, you're not that old!

Get onto FAS, get onto the VEC in your area ... have a chat with a career councilor.

Also, if you are determined to go away without your LC, perhaps go to a country that would give you some language skills?

E.g. try and find a job in Germany or Austria ... try to get a bar job or something and just learn German for a year, come back and finish your LC + go to 3rd level with a fluent language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 R1chm0nd

Australia doesn't need any unqualified workers regardless of where they are from - there's plenty here already. Without a qualification you have almost no chance of getting anything but the worst kind of work, but more likely no work at all.

On the other hand if you were to get your head down for a few years and come out with some good training you are likely to live a life you could only dream about in Ireland. Don't believe the begrudgers on this forum, the life out here is fantastic, it's better in almost every way to life in Ireland.

Not finishing secondary school is something you will live to regret very much. You're immediately putting yourself at the back of the 'pack' and going back to school when you're older is a bloody difficult thing....
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I would love to but thats out of the question for certain reasons :(
    i will be going either way. i havent been kicked out of school or anything like that. its a personal choice im making for certain reasons :)
    Without any trade, and/or the LC, or the LC equivalent, people in Ireland and Oz can take advantage of you and underpay you because they can; you have no skill, and no proof of education.

Why can you not get the LC? Do you feel you're unable to get the grades, or are you following friends who have a trade and/or the LC?

OP :

Basically if you don't finish your LC, you are taking a very short term view of life. You've decades and decades ahead of you and without any qualifications you will find life a lot more difficult regardless of where you are.

In Ireland and the EU, you will close off all your job prospects other than really low paid work, the same will apply in Australia, and you won't get a visa without some kind of qualifications either as any country that requires visas for you to move there will not accept applications from people without specific skills.

You can still move all around the EU, but you won't find that easy either without anything to back you up.

You aren't an experienced and/or qualified trades person, builder, civil engineer, architect escaping a property bubble burst and following the construction boom - you are going to be trying to emigrate as a high school dropout.

In the olden days, unqualified people with few skills did emigrate to places like the USA, Australia, Canada etc and did do well because there was a demand for non-skilled labour and it was well paid. That is absolutely not the case in 2012.

You could very easily find yourself in a situation where you've no income and no social welfare entitlements to back you up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

Finish your LC. You will regret it so much in later life if you don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I really can't think of a reason that would justify not doing the LC and moving to the other side of the world aged 18, with little experience and zero qualifications. Also if your savings arern't that much, you'll struggle to survive until you get a job, if you do get one.

If for personal reasons you don't want to/can't do the LC next year then work in Ireland, or move somewhere closer by in Europe, for a year and reassess your options.

If you go to Aus now, as others have said, you will find it very difficult to get a job and will in a sense waste your WHV. You only get one of them, why not save it for in a few years when you have some qualifications and can really enjoy yourself out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Yes your daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

DAFT.IE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Yes you are definitely daft to even consider it and there has been some good advice given to you here. You will probably ignore it all and give it a go anyway because of your age and lack of foresight and I wish you luck if you do. Just be aware that there will be plenty of people going for the same jobs you will be going for. Australia has a skills shortage but it has an oversupply of unskilled people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

the_syco wrote: »
    Without any trade, and/or the LC, or the LC equivalent, people in Ireland and Oz can take advantage of you and underpay you because they can; you have no skill, and no proof of education.

Why can you not get the LC? Do you feel you're unable to get the grades, or are you following friends who have a trade and/or the LC?

Unfortunately he is right about the taking advantage of you. While it is a great place there are no shortage of people looking to take advantage of you.

Get a trade or something before coming out here, its been here long enough its going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭zuzuzu

Unfortunately he is right about the taking advantage of you. While it is a great place there are no shortage of people looking to take advantage of you.

Get a trade or something before coming out here, its been here long enough its going nowhere.

I heard they were digging it all up to make it lighter and float so we could tow it up to have it closer to Ireland, cut out the long distance for everyone else left??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DBM123

Forget about OZ, go and concentrate on your LC and go to college on any course...do not waste your youth with brutal labour. Get an education...or prepare to be ordered about to use your back to mix concrete, or carry blocks, by a chap your age with a white bulders hat and a clipboard. Do your LC and go and learn a trade or you will seriously regret it in time when you and your girlfriend or Wife go to the bank to get a mortgage and she is accepted and you are not, then where does the love go...Same when buying that nice car that your mate is selling...the credit union will not take you seriously but they will accept your partner 'cause she studied and has a decent job in a production plant somewhere. Is this the life you want? Ignore your mates talking ****e about 'outside work' put the head down in the books, or elese prepare to swallow your pride when your best buddy who studied shows up in that nice new 520D while you are in the 12 year old pile of scrap...This will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Rent here min roughly 150 a week, a pint 8, food 20 a day, travel 25

Nights out 10 pints * 3 days = 240
    Food 20 * 7 days = 140
    Rent = 150
    Travel = 25

Total Per Week 555

These are average prices even low prices for Sydney and your not goina come out for the first time and not enjoy yourself for a while, theres also a lot of other things im not taking in, work boots, health and safety courses, work clothes you will only have 20 KG to take with you

Oz is prob not the answer right now and even if you did come over and get work and get the second year working holiday visa you will still be home at 20 with no leaving cert and some labouring experience that no one wants

Best of Luck man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Your 17, you havn't a hope over there, No experiece, No qualifications, the place is over run with intelligent young irish people, not to mention the one or two Aussies over there who also have a brain! ;)

Your way too young, What you want to do with the Leaving Cert if your own Business, but for someone who gone through it all, its very easy to walk away from it but its very hard to go back to it! You wont realise how invaluable that education is until a year or two down the line. They your out of school long enough to lose the groove of mainstream education, and just the tolerance of it!

But as for Oz, your too young!

/end

Rent here min roughly 150 a week, a pint 8, food 20 a day, travel 25

Nights out 10 pints * 3 days = 240
    Food 20 * 7 days = 140
    Rent = 150
    Travel = 25

Total Per Week 555

These are average prices even low prices for Sydney and your not goina come out for the first time and not enjoy yourself for a while, theres also a lot of other things im not taking in, work boots, health and safety courses, work clothes you will only have 20 KG to take with you

Oz is prob not the answer right now and even if you did come over and get work and get the second year working holiday visa you will still be home at 20 with no leaving cert and some labouring experience that no one wants

Best of Luck man

Just curious, are they Euros or the Australian Dollaridoo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

This Thread should have been made into a Poll for the Craic.

Advertisement