Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fried Chicken Question

Options
  • 22-04-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

After watching far too many Man Vs Food episodes I've developed an itching for some fried chicken (something I've never made before). My question is this, can you fry chips in the same oil as you fried the chicken?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sure - no problem doing that. You may want to fry your chicken first, then keep warm in a low oven while you do the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sure - no problem doing that. You may want to fry your chicken first, then keep warm in a low oven while you do the chips.

Wow Billy- thanks for the quick answer. I wasn't sure if it was safe so thought it best to ask. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I could tell by your post that you were hungry & didn't want to keep you waiting. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

google buttermilk fried chicken...best for doing at home

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

can you fry chips in the same oil as you fried the chicken?
    You can as said. I expect you were worried about cross contamination, like you would not cut lettuce on the same chopping board after chopping up raw chicken on it before hand.

As your chicken will be cooked it doesn't really matter at all. Even if you dipped raw chicken in the boiling oil for 1 second and took it out, still uncooked, it would be safe to cook your chips in that oil. Any "contamination" or raw juices from the chicken will be cooked pretty much instantaneously in the hot oil. By the time chips are cooked it would definitely be all gone.

If you do the chicken first it will also impart some taste to the chips, I like getting fish tastes from chips in a chipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just to add to the above replies: you'll want your oil hotter for your chips than for your chicken so you can have nice crispy chips and chicken cooked through without being cremated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

google buttermilk fried chicken...best for doing at home
    yep, definitely the way forward, i'll 2nd that.

i left mine in buttermilk in ziplock bags for 24 hours and then coated with a mixture of 3/4 flour and 1/4 cornflour with a bit of seasoning (smoked paprika and black & white pepper) before deep frying and it was awesomely juicy.

it didn't hurt either that i smothered it in franks hot sauce and butter to make it buffalo fried chicken. :D

i'd like to see how the pro's would butcher a whole chicken in a similar way to KFC where you can get everything into decent sized but manageable chunks for finger lickin' goodness. :)

i tried a few youtube video's, but they all seemed to be about removing the breast meat from the bone, rather than cutting it all into chunks with the bones in.

EDIT: i take it all back. :)

Advertisement