Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope cleaning

Options
  • 22-04-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Another quick question lads,

As it says in the title, how do you cleans your scope lens?

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I use the lens pen from either Leupold or Burris. It has a fine brush on one end, and a special cleaning tip on the other. I've seen lads using window cleaner, and while it may clean the scope lens i would be hesitant to spray anything into the corner of the pbjective lens knowing i cannot get it all back out.

Honestly prevention is better than cure. Use flip caps, and sonly open when taking a shot. This way you reduce the amount of dirt, grit, etc that can adhere to the scope lens. Too many lads go out on cold mornings/evenings, damp, wet, and believe that because no rain is physically on the lens that it's fine.

Also a quick wipe everytime you get home helps keep the cleaning to a minimum. IOW regular as opposed to deep clean.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I use a lens pen as well. Use the brush, then use the brush again, have the lens you're brushing facing to the floor. Grit under the cleaning pad of the pen will seriously ruin your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Another quick question lads,

As it says in the title, how do you cleans your scope lens?

Cheers in advance!

A gentle hovering will remove any grid/dust that may be stuck on lens before you wipe them reducing risk of fine scratches

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Invest in a basic camera lens cleaning kit. They're only a few quid and worth their weight in gold when it comes to cleaning that nice expensive S&B and the likes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Longranger wrote: »
    Invest in a basic camera lens cleaning kit. They're only a few quid and worth their weight in gold when it comes to cleaning that nice expensive S&B and the likes:D

True True

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Also,do not use any other material other than crocus paper from the lens cleaning kit to clean the lens. It doesnt smear or scratch the protective coating.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭devil dog

Hi lads,

For whats it worth,

I was talking to a guy from nightforce a while back, and this came up in conversation.

What he said was to use DI water to clean your lens.

Any thoughts on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

devil dog wrote: »
    Hi lads,

For whats it worth,

I was talking to a guy from nightforce a while back, and this came up in conversation.

What he said was to use DI water to clean your lens.

Any thoughts on this.

That's probably for the same reason window cleaners use it. It dries without leaving any streak marks.

Advertisement