Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging large cheque

Options
  • 22-04-2012 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I have inherited a sum of money and will be lodging a cheque for a significant amount into my current account next week, before it gets moved to savings accounts and so on. Do I need to tell my bank in advance, or explain it or anything? I'm worried about arriving up to the cashier with the cheque and there being some kind of fuss. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Shouldn't be any fuss, but if you like, you could just ask at the customer service desk to see someone in an office and they could do the lodgement there, away from prying eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You will probably be asked about the source of the money. They are legally obliged to ask you this if its over certain amount based on anti money laundering laws. I think the threshold is €10k which may be one transaction or a number of transactions up to this amount. just let them know it is inheritance. You have nothing to hide about that as long as tax has been paid on it as is required.

Advertisement