Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart 24m/1m 350GB cap €30

• 20-04-2012 7:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

I've been with Smart Telecom for years & was on their €40/month plan for broadband & phone, download speed was 8Mb/s with a cap of 170Gb/month. Earlier this week I noticed they had new plans on their site so now it's €29.95/month for upto 24Mbs (12Mbs in my case) and a cap of 350Gb (not sure if that's per month or not tbh).

Anyway I emailed them and have now moved saving myself €10/month so something to consider if you're on the older tarrif.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

opus wrote: »
    I've been with Smart Telecom for years & was on their €40/month plan for broadband & phone, download speed was 8Mb/s with a cap of 170Gb/month. Earlier this week I noticed they had new plans on their site so now it's €29.95/month for upto 24Mbs (12Mbs in my case) and a cap of 350Gb (not sure if that's per month or not tbh).

Anyway I emailed them and have now moved saving myself €10/month so something to consider if you're on the older tarrif.

Does this renew your contract for 12months.

I realise it says "contract applies to new customers.", I'm just been careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'd expect it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Not surprised at this.

Smart must have been hemorrhaging customers since they tried to pull a fast one by bringing in a 170GB limit on an "unlimited" broadband product and then charging by the MB for downloads above their new limit.

UPC beating them on price, service etc couldn't have helped.

Changed from Smart to UPC last year and the service is better in every respect.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I'd expect it does.

I just rang and changed my package, and just to clarify to others reading this thread... because I'm already a customer it does not renew my contract, I'm still free to switch away or change my package anytime.

I'm not impressed that I had to ring them to do this, however no point in complaining to the customer service agent.

Thank again @opus for bringing this to our attention;)

That's great news. So often in these situations companies require you to re contract with them to gain the cheaper deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Opus, which Dept do existing customers contact to make that move, is it Support or Accounts on 1890 945300?

Do you know if the new 350GB Cap has the 80% warning attached?

The existing 170GB has the 80% warning attached so you receive the warning email once you hit 136GB

I'm with them from the start but use my own wireless router, would the change also entitle me to their offer of the free wireless router or would that only apply to new customers I wonder?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Smart Telecom have launched a new ADSL2+ product that offers up to 24mb down, 1mb up and a 350GB cap for just €30 per month including line rental:

http://smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Broadband_Phone.aspx

This is major news, this is now the best DSL product on the market now and even gives UPC's 20 and 25mb products a run for their money *

It really is a superb price for DSL and totally smokes Eircom and Vodafone. In the past I've been highly critical of Smart since Digiweb took over, but this really is an excellent product and good work by them.

Here is a comparison with the rest of the market, all include line rental:

Smart - 24m/1m 350GB cap €30
    Vodafone - 8m/? 300GB cap €48
    Vodafone - 24m/1m 350GB cap €55
    UPC - 20m/2m 500GB cap €25.41 / €31.51 *
    UPC - 25m/2.5m 500GB cap €35.57 / €40.51 (includes freetime world fee calls) *
    UPC - 50m/5m 500GB cap €45.50 (includes phone)
    UPC - 100m/7m 500GB cap €55.90 (includes phone)

For UPC the first cost is if you already have UPC TV service, otherwise the second price adds the required phone service if you don't.

I currently can't add the Eircom products as their website is badly broken and I can't seem to view the prices!! But they are more expensive then Vodafone anyway.

* I would be cautious with comparing "up to" 24mb ADSL with UPC's 20/25mb products. On top of UPC's products having higher upload speeds and caps, most people are unlikely to get more then 15mb out of "up to" 24mb DSL, but most people should get 20/25mb from UPC, due to the nature of the technology.

However if you can't get UPC cable, then this new smart product by far seems like the best DSL product available now. Well done Digiweb/Smart. I wonder how Vodafone and Eircom will respond to this?

I predict this will lead to the end of the crappy "up to" 8mb products with their crappy low 10/40GB caps from Eircom and Vodafone. I expect "up to" 24mb and ~ 300 GB cap's will become the norm for entry level broadband.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've already upgraded to this new Smart product and I'm getting 15m/700k from it. I'm interested to hear if anyone is getting faster speeds then this. I'm suspicious that there is some throttling going on or some back end congestion. But I don't know if it is just my building or the Smart network in general.

I live in a building with Smart fibre to the basement and then DSL to each apartment. Two neighbours have also upgraded to this product and are getting the same speed. This is interesting as:

1) My modem is actually connecting at 20m/800k
    2) My line stats indicate that it should be capable of 20mb throughput
    3) When I first moved in I was actually getting 20mb/800k as Smart were initially not doing any capping for the first few months.

So I'm surprised I'm only getting 15mb now and I wonder when the congestion or throttling is?

One criticism I have of this fantastic new Smart product is their website. The website looks very old now and not very good. With their much simpler product make up (basically one product with a few phone add on options) they should really redesign the site to modernise it and simplify it to help promote this excellent new product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm on entry level Vodafone@home package with fixed ip address and free off peak Irish calls - €44per month

Vodafone rang the other day and offered same package for €38, with free UK calls. They claimed I was on 3Mb and would increase this to 8, but I'm pretty sure I was on 8..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,695 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is there any map showing where this service is available?

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Is there any map showing where this service is available?

No, but you can check if it is available by entering your phone number here:
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/line_checker.aspx

If you can get this service it will say:
    You are eligible for Smart Telecom Services

If you can't get it, it will say:
    You’ve qualified for our Nationwide Bitstream products, which we provide via our sister-company, Digiweb.

If you get the latter, forget about it, I wouldn't bother with Digiwebs services.

Again, this is another example of why Smarts website needs to be redesigned. This checker should be much more obvious, up front on the launch page and it should give you better information when it finds you can get the Smart service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Notice the "up to 24MB" that could basically mean any speed from 1MB upwards...

And the use of the name smart fibre, it is fecking DSL and not fibre, all down to one thing distance from exchange

Salvation wrote: »
    Notice the "up to 24MB" that could basically mean any speed from 1MB upwards...

Agreed, that is why I said UPC is still better if you can get it.

However if you can't get UPC, then this is the best DSL product on the market. Even if you only end up getting 1mb, you would get no faster on Eircom/Vodafone and at least you are paying a lot less now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Just switched the mothers line (we use a WISP) to the new package, will report back tomorrow after the overnight change.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

I'm currently on their older 10mb package for ~€40 per month. Has anyone had success with getting moved over to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That's is what I moved from in the post above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm able to get Vodafone 24mb but smart is saying I can't get their 24mb anyone know what's up there? I know the line can only take 15mb but is that a problem? I'd be happy to pay for the 24mb and get a max of 15mb because I'd be saving 12 euro anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

GarIT wrote: »
    I'm able to get Vodafone 24mb but smart is saying I can't get their 24mb anyone know what's up there? I know the line can only take 15mb but is that a problem? I'd be happy to pay for the 24mb and get a max of 15mb because I'd be saving 12 euro anyway.

Smart is only available on a few exchanges in Dublin city centre. Through digiweb, they are available on other exchanges, but that is just re-selling the same thing Eircom is selling.

When they have their own equipment inside the exchange they can offer better deals than when they use Eircom's equipment.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Smart is only available on a few exchanges in Dublin city centre.

While the rest of your post is correct, just to point out Smart is also available outside Dublin, for instance my parents can get it in Cork.

The rest of the post is correct. just because you can get 24mb from Vodafone/Eircom, doesn't mean you will necessarily be able to get Smart 24mb service. Smart use their own equipment in some exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

I am on the 10 MB package in Cork and just ordered the new 24 MB product.

Should get it tomorrow and will report on the speed I get.

Was told I have to enter a new contract, even if I am a customer for about 4 years now, but no problem as I am quite happy with Smart up to now..

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Does smart have its own exchanges ?

bk wrote: »
    Smart Telecom have launched a new ADSL2+ product that offers up to 24mb down, 1mb up and a 350GB cap for just €30 per month including line rental:

http://smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Broadband_Phone.aspx

This is major news, this is now the best DSL product on the market now and even gives UPC's 20 and 25mb products a run for their money *

It really is a superb price for DSL and totally smokes Eircom and Vodafone. In the past I've been highly critical of Smart since Digiweb took over, but this really is an excellent product and good work by them.

Here is a comparison with the rest of the market, all include line rental:

Smart - 24m/1m 350GB cap €30
    Vodafone - 8m/? 300GB cap €48
    Vodafone - 24m/1m 350GB cap €55
    UPC - 20m/2m 500GB cap €25.41 / €31.51 *
    UPC - 25m/2.5m 500GB cap €35.57 / €40.51 (includes freetime world fee calls) *
    UPC - 50m/5m 500GB cap €45.50 (includes phone)
    UPC - 100m/7m 500GB cap €55.90 (includes phone)

For UPC the first cost is if you already have UPC TV service, otherwise the second price adds the required phone service if you don't.

I currently can't add the Eircom products as their website is badly broken and I can't seem to view the prices!! But they are more expensive then Vodafone anyway.

* I would be cautious with comparing "up to" 24mb ADSL with UPC's 20/25mb products. On top of UPC's products having higher upload speeds and caps, most people are unlikely to get more then 15mb out of "up to" 24mb DSL, but most people should get 20/25mb from UPC, due to the nature of the technology.

However if you can't get UPC cable, then this new smart product by far seems like the best DSL product available now. Well done Digiweb/Smart. I wonder how Vodafone and Eircom will respond to this?

I predict this will lead to the end of the crappy "up to" 8mb products with their crappy low 10/40GB caps from Eircom and Vodafone. I expect "up to" 24mb and ~ 300 GB cap's will become the norm for entry level broadband.

This was posted a few days ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78232003

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Salvation wrote: »
    Does smart have its own exchanges ?

I think all the exchanges belong to Eircom, that's why we have to pay line rental. From what I've read above Smart has it's own equipment in some exchanges as do some other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

If you cant get Smart and are looking at their sister company digiweb site re DSL Home Pro
    Active Telephone line required. Line rental €25.78 excluded from price.

When I rang them they first off confused the hell outta me, then offered an 8mb package for €46 which I cant relate to anything on the website...

I've already upgraded to this new Smart product and I'm getting 15m/700k from it. I'm interested to hear if anyone is getting faster speeds then this. I'm suspicious that there is some throttling going on or some back end congestion. But I don't know if it is just my building or the Smart network in general.

Speed is 16.3 Mb/s (down), 874 Kb/s. (up). I'm on the Clondalkin, Nangor Road exchange, probable 3kilomitors of regular copper wiring away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Today the 24 MB was up and running

with wireless I get 14.5 MB down - 0.9 up
    with fixed cable I get 18.5 MB down - 0.85 up

I live in Cork City Center

Good enough for me for 10 Euro less....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭slipstream

I live in a building with Smart fibre to the basement and then DSL to each apartment. Two neighbours have also upgraded to this product and are getting the same speed. This is interesting as:

1) My modem is actually connecting at 20m/800k
    2) My line stats indicate that it should be capable of 20mb throughput
    3) When I first moved in I was actually getting 20mb/800k as Smart were initially not doing any capping for the first few months.

So I'm surprised I'm only getting 15mb now and I wonder when the congestion or throttling is?

One criticism I have of this fantastic new Smart product is their website. The website looks very old now and not very good. With their much simpler product make up (basically one product with a few phone add on options) they should really redesign the site to modernise it and simplify it to help promote this excellent new product.

bk, i would suggest posting any service problems you have to the smart support forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've no phone number to check for availability so emailed them. They said it was available to my address and sent me an application form.

There's a €80 installation fee on the form (separate from the free line activation) that isn't mentioned anywhere in the T&Cs or on the site. :(

Can't afford that these days. Back to the midband.

Can you not install it yourself for free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

Tazz T wrote: »
    I've no phone number to check for availability so emailed them. They said it was available to my address and sent me an application form.

There's a €80 installation fee on the form (separate from the free line activation) that isn't mentioned anywhere in the T&Cs or on the site. :(

Can't afford that these days. Back to the midband.

The FAQs say no set up fee..
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/faq/faq.aspx

Advertisement