Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart 24m/1m 350GB cap €30

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

homer911 wrote: »
    The FAQs say no set up fee..
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/faq/faq.aspx

I would imagine the fee in question is for Eircom to activate the line and issue a number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The advertising blurb says the the line activation fee has been waived, but the application form has an €80 installation fee.. I think the T&Cs link is for the old product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

Tazz T wrote: »
    The advertising blurb says the the line activation fee has been waived, but the application form has an €80 installation fee.. I think the T&Cs link is for the old product.

You don't currently have an active phone line. All phone lines in Ireland belong to Eircom. Smart need an active telephone line in order to activate for free your broadband and home phone number account.

The 80euro covers their costs to Eircom. If you had an active phone line their would be no costs involved, just regular monthly billing for your chosen package.

On the flip side of this, if you chose to move to Eircom for your home phone and broadband there's no 80euro charge, however you'll be stuck with Eircom under contract for 12months.

Hope that makes sense?

It's a new private estate. There was a phone installed by Smart in the past. Eircom were only recently able to sell phone services to the estate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It's a new private estate. There was a phone installed by Smart in the past. Eircom were only recently able to sell phone services to the estate.

In that case there shouldn't be any installation fee. Call Smart to double check.

• Advertisement

Just talked to them. Amazing there's only an installation fee if it's a Smart prewire. If you're with Eircom you pay nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Just talked to them. Amazing there's only an installation fee if it's a Smart prewire. If you're with Eircom you pay nothing.

Smart Telecom already have a complaint upheld against them for this very issue by the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9lAvxNoV3osJ:www.asai.ie/complaint_view.asp
    Just order the broadband and don't pay the bogus charge. If they pursue the payment lodge complaints with the ASAI and Comreg.

You can get out of it. It comes out of your first bill by DD.

You are in control of what you pay them.

If you have to pay by Direct debit, how do you stop them taking the €80?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

You can reverse/stop charges that are in dispute by contacting your bank under the direct debit scheme:
    Originators Must:
    Ensure that disputed amounts are not debited

http://www.ipso.ie/section/DirectDebitScheme

Tazz T I noticed your post on the Smart forum. They appear to be backtracking: http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4584
    Now all you need do is say you'll take the 12 month contract, with no install charge please. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Does anyone know how long it would take to change over from say vodafone dsl to smart, as in do you have a few days downtime at all ?

Oracle wrote: »
    Tazz T I noticed your post on the Smart forum. They appear to be backtracking: http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4584
    Now all you need do is say you'll take the 12 month contract, with no install charge please. :)

Tried that. They said no. Apparently the only way of getting out of the installation fee is to get eircom to replace the smart line with an eircom line and then get Smart in to switch it back.

Idiots. I don't even want to deal with a company that thinks like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

slipstream wrote: »
    bk, i would suggest posting any service problems you have to the smart support forums.

Why not discuss it here in a public forum?

My experience of the smart support forums hasn't been good.

I found them heavily moderated to remove comments critical of smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Tried that. They said no. Apparently the only way of getting out of the installation fee is to get eircom to replace the smart line with an eircom line and then get Smart in to switch it back.

Idiots. I don't even want to deal with a company that thinks like that.

In my opinion, smart have a record of trying to milk their customers by trying to pull fast ones like that.

see my post early in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Synching at 19mb/1mb now on the west side of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

Just got my first bill since moving to the new plan, €30 as expected :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

opus wrote: »
    Just got my first bill since moving to the new plan, €30 as expected :)

Me too, I am quite happy with price and service..

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Does the new €30 plan include line rental??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HDfan

Does the new €30 plan include vat tax??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

HDfan wrote: »
    Does the new €30 plan include vat tax??

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Broadband_Phone.aspx

€29.95 per month

All Prices include VAT.
    12 month contract applies to new customers.

:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Have to say that yes, it is the best DSL broadband product in Ireland by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭zg3409

Well to be fair the downloadcap is 350GB. Magnet have a similar package (and in some cases the same exchanges as smart) with totally unlimited, no catch for 40 a month. For that you don't get a voice phone line, but there are many IP phone providers.

But yes compared to most other products/companies it is an excellent price and speed, and I can get real world 19Mbps as I am about 300M from the exchange!

However at that sort of speed the cap starts becoming more realistic. I know I have gone 240GB in one month on a 5Mb line.

With Netflix, Sky go, and even free tv streaming services like aertv etc it's becoming easier to reach the caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

Just called Magnet today as my contract ends in a month and wanted to switch from Magnet Force 8 to Simply Broadband. The guy told me that it is not available in my area (Carlow). He mentioned it is available only in a few cities like Dublin, Portlaoise and few others. So I guess they do not use eircom lines for their Simply Broadband and have their own infrastructure (maybe via fibre?).

I sent a few questions to Smart Telecom, might switch to them as their Home Broadband & Phone is 20€ less then Magnet Force 8 (and 350GB/month is enough for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

Got a reply from Smart Telecom. Service not available in my area. They offered me NGB. Guess I am stuck with Magnet for 50€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

When I moved to Smart's new plan ~six months ago, the 'upto' 24Mb speed for me was 12Mb but noticed just yesterday that it's since increased to 17Mb :) This is in Cork btw.

2282341406.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just want to point out that the availability of this product is even less than that of UPC's broadband coverage.

BT's LLU rollout (like what Vodafone use) is much more extensive by comparison.

• Advertisement

Just want to point out that the availability of this product is even less than that of UPC's broadband coverage.

BT's LLU rollout (like what Vodafone use) is much more extensive by comparison.

So what? It is good for anyone who can get it. Better then anything BT/Vodafone offer and even a decent cheaper option for people in UPC areas if they don't need the fastest speeds possible.

Advertisement