Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIMBER PRICES

• 22-04-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I purchased 1length of 5" x 1" walnut, cherry and oak. 3 lengths in total. Paid €43 for it and thought it was extremely expensive.
    Took them almost 3 weeks to get my order sorted and when i popped out to pick it up i thought i would have gotten more timber for the cash. What's your views on this? I got it in Dublin and am thinking of getting it from somewhere else in future

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I purchased 1length of 5" x 1" walnut, cherry and oak. 3 lengths in total. Paid €43 for it and thought it was extremely expensive.
    Took them almost 3 weeks to get my order sorted and when i popped out to pick it up i thought i would have gotten more timber for the cash. What's your views on this? I got it in Dublin and am thinking of getting it from somewhere else in future

Well walnut is roughly €75 a cubic foot these days. How long were the lengths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Jasus sorry never said. They were 5' lengths

Hi all,

Well walnut is roughly €75 a cubic foot these days. How long were the lengths?

Hi galwaydude
    Does a cf amount to 2 lengths of 6" x 1" x 12' long lengths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi galwaydude
    Yes, exactly :)

12*0.5/12*2=1

Alun wrote: »
    Hi galwaydude

12*0.5/12*2=1

Hi Alun,
    What do you think of the prices i paid for the timber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Can't really comment, I usually buy woodturning blanks as opposed to 'flat' wood, but I know cherry is expensive as it's rare to find trees big enough to cut decent sized planks from. Walnut seems to be getting scarcer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Hi galwaydude

12*0.5/12*2=1

Here's the formula I use LxTxW divided by 1728 = cubic feet. You enter all measurements in inches

I think you got a very good deal for 5' lengths of each

Can't really comment, I usually buy woodturning blanks as opposed to 'flat' wood, but I know cherry is expensive as it's rare to find trees big enough to cut decent sized planks from. Walnut seems to be getting scarcer too.

Cheers Alun ;-)
    The chap said cherry was very expensive.
    I laminate 4 or 5 12" pieces of lumber together to end up with a 12"x5" blank. I can mix the wood up to get a nice contrast of wood.
    Were do you purchase your blanks? As some pieces i make can be solid.
    Thanks

Hi galwaydude

12*0.5/12*2=1

Here's the formula I use LxTxW divided by 1728 = cubic feet. You enter all measurements in inches

Thanks galwaydude ;-)
    My god i never thought solid was so expensive o_O

Hi galwaydude

12*0.5/12*2=1

Thanks galwaydude ;-)
    My god i never thought solid was so expensive o_O

So.... LxTxW / 1728
    (L) 15ft = 180" x (T) 1" x (W) 5"
    900 / 1728 = .52 cf

• Advertisement
Advertisement