Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Bulldog ???

• 22-04-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

We are looking at purchasing a bulldog puppy. Has anybody got any advice or recommendations about where to purchase ? Always very careful about where I look for a puppy so must be a good reliable breeder with track record.

Thanks in advance !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

what type?

american

american_bulldog.jpg

english
    English-Bulldog1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

You forgot French ha

Apologies English Bulldog !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

The Irish Kennel Club (www.ikc.ie) details bulldog societies. These would be a good start. There are 2 listed (not sure about 2nd one):-

Bulldog Club of Ireland

Mr. M. Steele (Assistant Sectretary)
    Lock 9, Kilclare, Carrick on Shannon, Co. Leitrim
    (071-9640674) Email:
    info@thebulldogclubofireland.com Web:thebulldogclubofireland.com

All Ireland Bull Terrier Club

Mrs. Laura Cox
    29 Parkroe Heights, Ardnacrusha, Co Clare.
    (061-340409)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Love the america Bulldogs, recently pursuaded a friend to go for one instead of an English :)

He wasnt thinking properly saying he wanted the english, wanted a dog which would be able for long walks and be up to his lifestyle. He does a bit of boxing so does be out running a lot and takes the dog with him now!

He has the american now and he thanked me so much!

Also didnt know until I checked for him the American Bulldog can not be IKC registered!!!!

Just sayin..

Thanks for that Paultf have sent them emails already. Just interested if anybody had personal experience with any breeders. Looking on Donedeal and the likes but nervous about buying from that type of site.

What are peoples opinions on buying from the likes of donedeal ??

• Advertisement

Love the america Bulldogs, recently pursuaded a friend to go for one instead of an English :)

He wasnt thinking properly saying he wanted the english, wanted a dog which would be able for long walks and be up to his lifestyle. He does a bit of boxing so does be out running a lot and takes the dog with him now!

He has the american now and he thanked me so much!

Also didnt know until I checked for him the American Bulldog can not be IKC registered!!!!

Just sayin..

Had considered one, I have always had bigger dogs, Dobermanns, Rotts, Labs etc but looking for a smaller less active dog to be honest. Have a very young child and would like something smaller that I can have indoors also.

Think they are a great all rounder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Donedeal is very hit and miss/miss/miss (if you get me)

I got one of my rotts from done deal and the other I didnt. Have no problem with either one, but then again you could talk to 100 people 99 could have problems I could be the 1...

BUT (before I get hammered) buying off someone who's breeding for 30 years means nothing, every person/dog/animal could by chance be born with a defect/health issue. Every health issue can not be bred out of any dog, things just happen some times.

If you do decide to buy from done deal, make sure they allow you do the obvious things like see all the litter, the mother/father, see where the dogs are being brought up and so on... If they dont, then walk away!

Best of luck...

oh, just to add, my two rotts live indoors and there are many others here with large dogs living inside ;)

Donedeal is very hit and miss/miss/miss (if you get me)

I got one of my rotts from done deal and the other I didnt. Have no problem with either one, but then again you could talk to 100 people 99 could have problems I could be the 1...

BUT (before I get hammered) buying off someone who's breeding for 30 years means nothing, every person/dog/animal could by chance be born with a defect/health issue. Every health issue can not be bred out of any dog, things just happen some times.

If you do decide to buy from done deal, make sure they allow you do the obvious things like see all the litter, the mother/father, see where the dogs are being brought up and so on... If they dont, then walk away!

Best of luck...

oh, just to add, my two rotts live indoors and there are many others here with large dogs living inside ;)

Im in a small house plus my kid is only couple months old dont want anything too big :D
    Hava had my share of large dogs and I love them but time for something a bit more easy for want of a better word haha.

I know buying from breeder guarantee's nothing but its trying to cut out as many risks as possible when buying.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

I believe you have read but just to make sure, English Bulldogs wouldn't be very active, in fact they will sleep after you bring them for a walk, they will not tolerate hot weather in case you plan a day on the beach with your family. They are very sensitive to temperature, heat strokes...

youtube: dog 101 english bulldog

p.s they are great pets tho, love them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If I were getting a Bulldog it would be the American. Great looking dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 SaleAgreed

Hi!

More of a lurker but when I saw Bulldog I couldnt help myself!

I have a little French Bulldog (pic attached) and he's absolutley deadly, I would definitley reccommend one for a house pet, such a super personality- you could just watch them for ages, they are very clown like andfunny, adores kids, likes his little walks but is happy out on a comfy bed with something to chew. Very affectionate. I could rant all day about them.

I know some people go mad as soon as you mention Done Deal, but its not as though you enter your card details and a puppy just gets delivered to you, you always have the option to walk away if your not happy.

There is a great breeder in Armagh - she dosnt advertise on done deal or anywhere, her kennel is celticlibrid frenchies

Best of luck!

SaleAgreed wrote: »
    Hi!

More of a lurker but when I saw Bulldog I couldnt help myself!

I have a little French Bulldog (pic attached) and he's absolutley deadly, I would definitley reccommend one for a house pet, such a super personality- you could just watch them for ages, they are very clown like andfunny, adores kids, likes his little walks but is happy out on a comfy bed with something to chew. Very affectionate. I could rant all day about them.

I know some people go mad as soon as you mention Done Deal, but its not as though you enter your card details and a puppy just gets delivered to you, you always have the option to walk away if your not happy.

There is a great breeder in Armagh - she dosnt advertise on done deal or anywhere, her kennel is celticlibrid frenchies

Best of luck!

Yea, you can check her dogs on Facebook, the site is a bit out of date with images and stuff, but she seems to be the best, hence the pups are 2 - 2.8k. Not everyone has that money, not me anyways. I am a proud owner of a frenchie too, a new one :) We got our Cooper 2 days ago, he is 3 months and he came from a kennel based on Lithuania. Cost me 700e, it is very cheap compare to any other quotes I got, but the dog seems to be in good health, and absolutely unbelievable temper!

what is the name of you dog? how old is he? where did you get him? I want to know it all lol! as a noobie i could use some tips on how to train and treat them, any input would be greatly appreciated

congrats on your new dog, get the pics up

crazyFeet wrote: »
    Yea, you can check her dogs on Facebook, the site is a bit out of date with images and stuff, but she seems to be the best, hence the pups are 2 - 2.8k. Not everyone has that money, not me anyways. I am a proud owner of a frenchie too, a new one :) We got our Cooper 2 days ago, he is 3 months and he came from a kennel based on Lithuania. Cost me 700e, it is very cheap compare to any other quotes I got, but the dog seems to be in good health, and absolutely unbelievable temper!

what is the name of you dog? how old is he? where did you get him? I want to know it all lol! as a noobie i could use some tips on how to train and treat them, any input would be greatly appreciated

Aw congrats! get some pics up!

My guys name is Piglet, or 'The Pig' as he has become known as by the family, he has just gone 1 year a few weeks ago.

We originally went to Celticlibrid but she didnt have any puppies at the time, so after ages of waiting and stalking the internet we found one in Citywest. We went out to visit first to make sure everything was above board and that he was bred in a proper environment, and to see the mum. We were happy so we went back the next day and got him :)

He was 3 months as well when we got him. Which was perfect for us at the time as we have other dogs, so he was a bit sturdier to keep up with them rather than a brand new 8 week old. His mother came from the top kennell in the UK, so the owner of that kenell has helped me alot of thethe year with tips and tricks! not sure about the dad but they were both family pets.

main things to watch out for would be allergies, and paw licking / chewing, redness in the ears, pimples on the face or back, dog acne etc. if you notice any of this then change the food or have him blood tested at your vets, I tried a good few different foods until his skin settled down, all the well known top expensive brands are great but they can still have allergies to any ingredient, Frenchies really need high quality food with the highest meat content as possible. All the fillers they put in will worsen allergies. My fella is quite delicate in that sense. I would get pet insurance ASAP even esp for the first year as this is when they are into the most trouble it seems! A good tip fpr feeding would be to get the bowl holder that brings the bowls up to chest level, so his headis up off the ground, out guy was puking alot after his dinner or ifhe was running around with the other dogs it would all come back up, thebowl holder has stopped all that, thanks dog!

I also tried loads of different toys etc. to keep him happy - Nylabones are an absolute god send, they dont seem to care much for rubber toys such as kongs etc. Also just regular teddies you have lying around, and tennis balls - gret fun chasing them as they dont fit in the mouth just yet!

Toilet training was the heartbreaker for me, he is 1 year old and I swear he is only learned in the last few months not to wee in the house, you really have to be firm (which I was too soft for) and very very patient. Frenchies are so sensitive and touchy, and notoriously hard to house train, so you can get tricked by those big puppy eyes, I found it was better to not use treats as a reward in the end, just rubs and cuddles - they are actually really smart, they just dont seem it sometimes! I found with my guy that he was actually just to lazy to go out side so would just drop trouser in the house where ever he fancied!

Also they are very prone to ear infections, so you HAVE to clean out the ears every other day, its better to keep on top of it like this as the wax can build up and my fella hates having it done, so now just a quick little rummage around with some cotton wool (while he is half asleep) and ear cleaner and he's good to go. If they get an itch and cut the inside of the ear with their nail etc. the infection is really hard to get rid of and they can loose the ear.

Sorry I just realised how long this post is haha! sorry I'll stop now!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

If your going to buy an English bulldog pre pair to spend a lot to get a good quality dog from good blood lines. Cheap bulldogs are riddled with health problems iv seen some and amazed how they can still walk with cow hocked and spayed feet. Take a look at the Olde Tyme Bulldog same type of dog but they actually can walk and run.

TonyFella wrote: »
    If your going to buy an English bulldog pre pair to spend a lot to get a good quality dog from good blood lines. Cheap bulldogs are riddled with health problems iv seen some and amazed how they can still walk with cow hocked and spayed feet. Take a look at the Olde Tyme Bulldog same type of dog but they actually can walk and run.

Thanks Tony

I have narrowed down one or two breeders over here and been in touch with a few in the Uk also. Think you are bang on the money with what you are saying. I dont mind spending the money if I can be assured the quality. Lots of top quality breeders in the UK but asking lots of money. I guess like everything you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

No problem hope you find a good one. But you should get an American Bulldog:D lazy old slobs and great with people and kids they are not as active as your previous dogs

Not into a big dog to be honest, they do look impressive but I rather something smaller and lazier ha ha. My missus is barely coming around to the idea of having something less active if I rocked home with a large dog I would be shot with balls of my own s.hite.

Wont push the boat out just yet

@SaleAgreed, this is absolute gold, keep it coming! (I have actually saved this in a notepad)

IMG_20120427_115324.jpg

I've been using treats as a reward for the last few days, be he does seem to care for cuddles and encouragement more when he is done, you are right. I got the doggy trainer spray the other day, and as the previous owner told me I put a newspaper in the corner and sprayed it with it. I notice he never goes on it, only sits down there when he wants to do it, and I bring him outside then. Question, for now he is under my supervision 24/7, if I leave the house and come back in 1-2h, and he has pooped, should I punish him by sticking his nose? Just bring him close and in lower tone tell him bad boy etc?

Yes, I was told about the ears, they are soft and silky now, I want to bring him to the vet on Monday (when my girlfriend is here) and get a consultation and check up. So far there is no redness or spots.

The seller told me to feed him pedigree for pups, dry and wet mixed together. He seems to eat it alright, but not mad for the dry one, just nibbles on it from time to time, leaving the bowl half full, and then comes back to it an hour later again. I am going to stop this however, start giving food in small amounts but as a routine. By the way, bowl holder is on the list, thank you! I haven't noticed him having any of the problems you listed, but it should still help him breathe when he is eating.

He is crazy for the chewy bones, I also got him a little rope thing to pull and a soft toy which he loves, tennis ball is the right thing I need to get, he was lost when I took out football from the shed the other day :D

http://s1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii509/crazyfeet89/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Do not ever stick his nose in it or even acknowlegde when he has gone in the house or else he will start hiding to go to the toilet in the house.

Start as you mean to go on and do away with papers. Bring him out every hour and when he goes then lots or praise and a treat. Bring him out after he sleeps, eats, plays, during the night and praise praise praise when he goes. If he goes in the house just clean it up.

Really starting to wonder about who you got him off as Pedigree is rubbish food, very little nutritional value. If you give us an idea of your budget then we'll be able to recommend you a decent food for him and then you'll need to switch him over slowly to avoid an upset tummy. You should be feeding him 4 small meals a day at his age.

You might find this useful http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/errorless-housetraining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To echo what Toulouse said, DONT EVER rub your pups/dogs nose in there toilet, its one of the cruelest thing you can do to a dog :mad: That method is gone out with the dark ages.

There is no point punishing the dog when you come back as he will have absolutely no idea why you are doing so.

It takes months to toilet train a puppy so you need to be patient and stick to a routine. Lots of encouragement and praise when it goes outside.

Pedigree is pure muck, awful stuff. Try and go to a good pet shop and get a good quality puppy food, Hills, Clinivet, Red Mill,s Eukanuba, Arden Grange, Royal Canin are to name a few.

I didn't agree with the method either, as I remember my mum used that on our Dachshund when I was a kid and the dog has no clue why it was being punished, he never learned to do his business outside and mum gave him away (never forget it)

I didn't know that pedigree is bad, my mistake. I will try other brands now.

I didn't punish him so far and will never do it anyway. When we are outside and he gets down to business I keep repeating #Go Pee# gently (if its a pee or a big one), when he is done call over him by name and pet him and repeat good boy, and take out his toys then after, it seems to work well, not sure if he realizes it yet himself tho :)

Hi crazyfeet, I hijacked this thread by accident the other day with my French Bulldog rantings! - go over to your original post and will comment there..

Advertisement