Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can motorcycle insurance claim affect car insurance?

Options
  • 22-04-2012 4:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am about to take out my first motorcycle insurance premium. I have had no claims on my car insurance which is now very low cost.

I was just wondering - if I were to crash on my motorcycle and need to make a claim, would that effect my car insurance renewal ? Or is the risk assessment and penalties for making claims completely separate between the two policies and vehicles.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

A renewal may ask have you crashed or claimed in the last x years or something like that. So yes it would effect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

From experience, it does indeed and must be disclosed.
    If, as in my case, it is settled without fault for you there will be no loading, but if it is disputed you will have a higher premium (mine took 3 years)
    You will not lose ncd on the car policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 duboce

I have a similar question - if your motorcycle is stolen will this affect your car policy no claims bonus.

I can understand if you claim for theft on your motorcycle policy you will loose your no claims bonus on that policy unless your NCB is protected.

If you decide its not worth making a claim - will the theft incident still affect your motorbike and car policies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No the theft won't affect your car no-claims bonus. But you do have to indicate that you have had a claim if asked on any forms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

if theres is a value claim or a pending claim then that will impact your insurance.
    no or low value claims, generally, wont impact

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    if theres is a value claim or a pending claim then that will impact your insurance.
    no or low value claims, generally, wont impact

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I don't think it's a value claim but my car insurance is coming up for renewal and I have a motorcycle claim pending.

The bike claim might take a while to agree as the insurance co. are only offering to pay 25% of the bikes market value.

I have got my Car renewal notice and I am wondering, will having a motorbike theft claim pending affect the cost of my car renewal.

BTW the car and motorbike are insurance policies are with the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I asked both my insurance company's about this before. If there is a claim on my motorbike insurance or car insurance I will lose both my NCB's on both policy's. If my girlfriend as a named driver has a claim against my policy, I lose my NCB on both policys. I am required to inform both insurance company's of any claim made against either policy.

The NCB is on the basis that you have not had a claim made against you. Not your policy, but you as a policy holder. It applies if you hold two car policy's, a private and commercial policy and it applies if you hold a bike and car policy.

And yet they are not transferable........

@ Cuddlesworth

I think if you or a named driver has an accident you are correct

But in my situation - it is a theft on one policy and it should not affect the other policy. But you have to notify them.

I have been told that this is the case but it seems to be a gray area.

Maybe someone can clarify this.

Advertisement