Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does my macbook slow down

• 22-04-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

...so much when I stream anything and my gf's old XP dell plays the same stream perfectly.

I've re-installed flash
    I've run onyX
    I've checked other browsers
    I've checked other laptops
    I've over 200GB free HD

It's not the internet, it's the whole computer - beach ball comes up. Lots of stuttering if I try to do anything else.

It's a macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB ram, 10.7.3

I know it's not the newest macbook but it works sometimes, but mostly its very frustrating. Is there anything I can do. I've googled but cannot find a solution.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

...so much when I stream anything and my gf's old XP dell plays the same stream perfectly.

I've re-installed flash
    I've run onyX
    I've over 200GB free HD

It's not the internet, it's the whole computer - beach ball comes up. Lots of stuttering if I try to do anything else.

I know it's not the newest macbook but it works sometimes, but mostly its very frustrating. Is there anything I can do. I've googled but cannot find a solution.

Thanks

There's your problem right there. There is a reason Apple won't have flash on their iDevices.....

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I've re-installed flash
    I've run onyX
    I've over 200GB free HD

Thanks
    Open activity monitor and see what processes are eating all the RAM/CPU time. On my machine its things like Firefox and VMware, Eclipse that eat the memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

whiterebel wrote: »
    There's your problem right there. There is a reason Apple won't have flash on their iDevices.....

I would have agreed in the past but have you run HTML5 videos? They are using more resources than Flash in an Ubuntu VM...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Thanks for the replies folks.

Conor - I don't know what you mean with HTML5. Could you explain it further please? I've checked Activity Monitor. The CPU gets to 90% or more when I play some flash videos or silverlight videos.

Whiterebel - is there anything else I can use? like Preview instead of Acrobat Reader

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Thanks for the replies folks.

Conor - I don't know what you mean with HTML5. Could you explain it further please? I've checked Activity Monitor. The CPU gets to 90% or more when I play some flash videos or silverlight videos.

Whiterebel - is there anything else I can use? like Preview instead of Acrobat Reader

Yeah, Flash and sliverlight both have pretty poor mac implementations. They don't decode the videos well, hence the 90% plus CPU.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Avoiding Flash as much as possible is the only solution, I'm afraid.

It's actually leading to grey screen crashes the last couple of days..
    Worried.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Grey screen crash? You mean a kernel panic? Do you get a box telling you to restart the computer?

yeah thats the one. Only when I'm watching youtube/listening to newstalk or something as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

You should read the crash report to determine which process is involved. It could be bad RAM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement