Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics - hadron quark compositions

• 22-04-2012 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just a quick physics question for those doing the particle physics option. Do we need to know the quark composition of hadrons (baryons and mesons)? In my book there is a table of the quark compositions for - proton, neutron, anti-proton, sigma, charm lambda, delta, charged pion, charged anti-kaon, neutral kaon and phi, do I need to know their compositions or will they give us the compositions in the exam and ask for their overall charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Hadrons are divided into baryons and mesons.
    Examples of baryons are protons and neutrons.
    An example of a meson is the pi particle.
    Baryons are made up of 3 quarks (ex. Proton and neutron).
    Mesons are made up of a quark and an anti-quark (ex. Pion).

I think you should just know the quark composition for the proton and neutron (and their anti-particles) and for the pi meson family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I think you just need to know proton and neutron. puud and nudd.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

You don't need to learn them.
    If you think about what you know a proton is positive so u=2/3 u=2/3 d=-1/3 so charge is plus 1 and a neutron is neutral so udd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

finality wrote: »

Yes I think that's right but also know their anti-particles!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

You should learn as little as possible off by heart.
    In the tables you have the charges of the quarks and from some basic information that a baryon is made up of 3 quarks and a meson is made up of a quark and anti-quark you should be able to work out everything.

LC 2006 Question 10:
    Pions are mesons that consist of up and down quarks and their antiquarks. Give the quark composition of (i) a positive pion, (ii) a negative pion.

So practice and know well the quark composition of the proton and neutron (baryons) and the pi family (mesons).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Thanks everyone.
    lostatsea wrote: »
    You should learn as little as possible off by heart.
    In the tables you have the charges of the quarks and from some basic information that a baryon is made up of 3 quarks and a meson is made up of a quark and anti-quark you should be able to work out everything.

LC 2006 Question 10:
    Pions are mesons that consist of up and down quarks and their antiquarks. Give the quark composition of (i) a positive pion, (ii) a negative pion.

So practice and know well the quark composition of the proton and neutron (baryons) and the pi family (mesons).

Okay so....
    positive pion = up quark + anti-down quark
    negative pion = anti-up quark + down quark

I do physics myself outside of school and have been meaning to do the option with a while but I only got around to doing it today. I didn't even realise that page was in the maths tables so that clarifies alot. Thanks :).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

finality wrote: »

This is accurate.

Advertisement