Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Has anybody done question 6 or 9? Thinking about doing one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Has anybody done question 6 or 9? Thinking about doing one of them.

Did both for my exam in 2012, Q9 is always the least popular question on the paper, but not due to difficulty its due to very few teaching the topic. Would definitely recommend as many years its been far easier than some of the traditional topics.

Q6, again not very popular, can be very tough at times, a good grasp of SHM is needed imo, circular motion part is usually ok, but there have been some nasty curveballs over the years.

Would pick Q9 myself, since around 2003 the questions for it have been very nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Ompala wrote: »
    Did both for my exam in 2012, Q9 is always the least popular question on the paper, but not due to difficulty its due to very few teaching the topic. Would definitely recommend as many years its been far easier than some of the traditional topics.

Q6, again not very popular, can be very tough at times, a good grasp of SHM is needed imo, circular motion part is usually ok, but there have been some nasty curveballs over the years.

Would pick Q9 myself, since around 2003 the questions for it have been very nice :D

Alright thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

y Nim, I know it's about a month later but that girl said that the institute was good, but she wasn't sure if it was worth the money. She thinks she would have been better off trying to teach herself and maybe do the Easter one week course.

And sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Thanks, yeah I'm not sure about shelling out that much money.

But my situation changed over the past 2 weeks :D A new teacher in my school is qualified to teach AM and a few of us stay back after school for it now. With those classes and teaching myself, I think I can avoid going to grinds schools :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mikazaru

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let any current/prospective Applied Maths students know that I've started an online video lecture series on the subject, to cater to students who are studying Applied Maths outside of school. It's at sites.duke.edu/brendanwilliamson, and although it's not finished yet, as of today I have an introductory lecture, a lecture covering the entirety of the course material relevant to question 1 of the paper, and a worksheet associated with that. I'm hoping to get the rest up as quick as humanly possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭podgemk

Anyone have solutions for Exercise 2.E of the second edition book ?

podgemk wrote: »
    Anyone have solutions for Exercise 2.E of the second edition book ?

Which question?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭podgemk

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Which question?

Qs 5-8

• Advertisement

Qs 5-8

Throw up the questions, answers and your attempts and I'm sure someone will give you a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Qs 5-8

I have the worked out solutions for the book. Im finished applied maths course, so i dont always check this thread. so i dont get notifications all the time, but please, feel free to hound me looking for as many as you want... I just dont check the thread, just pm me
    276700.png

276699.png

413b258b420dd896cdb4958e1cc80c5a.png

Can someone please explain to me how they got that last line there? :o

413b258b420dd896cdb4958e1cc80c5a.png

Can someone please explain to me how they got that last line there? :o

Divided top and bottom by uCos(A-45) ,A = alpha, u cancels everywhere, Sin(A-45)/Cos(A-45) = Tan(A-45) and Cos(a-45)/Cos(a-45) = 1

Ompala wrote: »
    Divided top and bottom by uCos(A-45) ,A = alpha, u cancels everywhere, Sin(A-45)/Cos(A-45) = Tan(A-45) and Cos(a-45)/Cos(a-45) = 1

Thank youuu :D

I've been pondering over that line for the whole mid term :p Now I look stupid :o

Thank youuu :D

I've been pondering over that line for the whole mid term :p Now I look stupid :o

No problem, sometimes the answer is easy and you over complicate things for yourself, happens to us all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Anyone have a solution for Section 11B question 9 (p197) in the Fundamental Applied Maths book.

The rest of them were grand this one is just really word heavy and any help would go a long way haha :)

Aspiring wrote: »
    Anyone have a solution for Section 11B question 9 (p197) in the Fundamental Applied Maths book.

The rest of them were grand this one is just really word heavy and any help would go a long way haha :)

As requested
    278945.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

bpb101 wrote: »
    As requested
    278945.png

Much appreciated :) I just had the wrong image in my head of the problem so I couldn't figure it out, cheers :D

Would anyone be kind enough to help me with a Collisions question?

A smooth sphere A, of mass m, collides obliquely with a smooth sphere B, of mass 2m, which is at rest.

Before the collision, A has a velocity of u in a direction which makes an angle of 30° with the line of centres.

If A is deflected through an angle of 90° by the collision, find the value of e.

I eventually ended up with an answer of 1/6 but I'm not entirely sure I'm right and the problem is, I have no way of finding out what the right answer is(some company made the question). What method would yous use?

• Advertisement

Would anyone be kind enough to help me with a Collisions question?

A smooth sphere A, of mass m, collides obliquely with a smooth sphere B, of mass 2m, which is at rest.

Before the collision, A has a velocity of u in a direction which makes an angle of 30° with the line of centres.

If A is deflected through an angle of 90° by the collision, find the value of e.

I eventually ended up with an answer of 1/6 but I'm not entirely sure I'm right and the problem is, I have no way of finding out what the right answer is(some company made the question). What method would yous use?

Is that out of the book?

bpb101 wrote: »
    Is that out of the book?

No, that's the problem.

It was a sample paper made by some company.

No, that's the problem.

It was a sample paper made by some company.
    sorry man , i cant help you , i hated them(and couldnt really do them) when i done them for the leaving and the day. It got wiped from my brain last june.
    If i done it i wouldnt be sure if i would be right or not

sorry man, somebody here should be able to do it though

Nim, I'll have a look Saturday evening if you want?

decisions wrote: »
    Nim, I'll have a look Saturday evening if you want?

Yeah, thanks :)

If I solve it properly before that, I'll let you know and save you the trouble of doing it.

Eh I'll have a crack at it, seems like just rearranging the equations on first glance

Think I underestimated this one :o

When it says deflected through an angle of 90 degrees, I took that to mean relative to the line connecting the centers, A now travels at 30 + 90 = 120 degrees after the collision at some velocity v.

Now as for method, broke u up into it's i and j components and then did the same with v. j component of each u and v is equal so that gives a relationship between u and v, and then allows you to right v it terms of u. Then using conservation of momentum solve for i velocity of B after collision. Last plug all these values into the equation to solve for e.

Doing that I have e = 1, which could be right but naturally enough seems a bit odd :D

Might be better off waiting for decisions having a look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

I tried the question also, I too got an answer of e=1. This would just mean that the collision is perfectly elastic, i.e all energy converted to kinetic energy.

I did get e=1 before but I disregarded it for some reason :o

But now after thinking about it for all of yesterday and today..it does make sense.

Thanks guys.

As for the e = 1/6 answer I got, I made an error when calculating that.

And Ompala, the deflected angle bit, I read it like this:

eec4f8673bdbcf20d86f4d6e31385727.png

• Advertisement

I did get e=1 before but I disregarded it for some reason :o

But now after thinking about it for all of yesterday and today..it does make sense.

Thanks guys.

As for the e = 1/6 answer I got, I made an error when calculating that.

And Ompala, the deflected angle bit, I read it like this:

eec4f8673bdbcf20d86f4d6e31385727.png

Yeah, I'm in Engineering, we not so great at the english by times :D

Advertisement