Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So how did the mocks go for everyone?

Me, I had only covered 4 questions and I almost failed :o

Looks like I'l be doing lots and lots of practice for the next two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    So how did the mocks go for everyone?

Me, I had only covered 4 questions and I almost failed :o

Looks like I'l be doing lots and lots of practice for the next two months.

Don't be disheartened by the mocks, the questions are sometimes made by people who have their own version of how physics works....:rolleyes:

Given how the exam is structured, just learning to do 1 or 2 questions very well from now til june would see a massive increase in grades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Is only having 7 questions covered a bit risky? I'm going to do 1,2,3,4,5,8 and 10. How many are ye doing?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Ompala wrote: »
    Don't be disheartened by the mocks, the questions are sometimes made by people who have their own version of how physics works....:rolleyes:

Given how the exam is structured, just learning to do 1 or 2 questions very well from now til june would see a massive increase in grades

Yeah I think Linear Acceleration and Impacts are my strong points, maybe pulleys as well. I've to make sure I can definitely do them..

I hate RV.
    Aspiring wrote: »
    Is only having 7 questions covered a bit risky? I'm going to do 1,2,3,4,5,8 and 10. How many are ye doing?

I was going to ask if only covering 6 is a bit risky :o

I've done Q1,2,3,5 doing 4 and 10 at the moment, I'll probably have them covered during Easter. Not sure if I should do Q7 after that or just revise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I don't think it's risky at all. Perhaps, if you're aiming for an A1, it may be appropriate to prepare another topic in case the paper is horrible, but I think your time would be best spent by systematically doing past exam questions.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I've done Q1,2,3,5 doing 4 and 10 at the moment, I'll probably have them covered during Easter. Not sure if I should do Q7 after that or just revise..

I would do RBM before Statics.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's risky at all. Perhaps, if you're aiming for an A1, it may be appropriate to prepare another topic in case the paper is horrible, but I think your time would be best spent by systematically doing past exam questions.

I'm aiming for a B3 or so I think. App maths will hopefully be my 6th highest result which should bring me up to the points I need.

I'm aiming for a B3 or so I think. App maths will hopefully be my 6th highest result which should bring me up to the points I need.

Then, seven is definitely sufficient. Just concentrate on practising questions, now.

Then, seven is definitely sufficient. Just concentrate on practising questions, now.

I know, I failed the mocks but I think I can pull it off :p

I know, I failed the mocks but I think I can pull it off :p

I failed the mocks and got an A1.

I failed the mocks and got an A1.

Christ almighty. How'd you manage that? I failed it fairly badly tho, 25% or so. What did you do to get your grade up so much. That's incredibly impressive :D

• Advertisement

Christ almighty. How'd you manage that? I failed it fairly badly tho, 25% or so. What did you do to get your grade up so much. That's incredibly impressive :D

It's not that good, tbh. My mock result doesn't really tell the whole story: I took up the subject in a repeat year, so had only been taking it for five months by the mocks; I hadn't been doing study to that point, only homework (often which was completed in class); and the paper was tricky.

The cause of improvement was just consistent and productive study, coupled with having a very good teacher with excellent notes.

None of what I did was particularly exciting, but I'll post a brief account in a while. :)

It's not that good, tbh. My mock result doesn't really tell the whole story: I took up the subject in a repeat year, so had only been taking it for five months by the mocks; I hadn't been doing study to that point, only homework (often which was completed in class); and the paper was tricky.

The cause of improvement was just consistent and productive study, coupled with having a very good teacher with excellent notes.

None of what I did was particularly exciting, but I'll post a brief account in a while. :)

Still a huge improvement, I'd be happy to reproduce even half of your success haha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I have only seven questions done: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8.

Statics (7) is really a non option for me, so the question is, what question should I teach myself? Circular Motion? Differential Equations?

Still a huge improvement, I'd be happy to reproduce even half of your success haha :)

I stress, nothing of what I did was radical.

But, I identified two main things:

While competent with the material, I was very inconsistent - I could go from getting-out a question in ten minutes to it taking an hour or more. So, I made substantial efforts on that front. Every time that I would get stuck in a never-ending loop for a question, I would (having got the answer) establish what caused it. Having done that, I would redo the question.

Effectively, all the questions are repeats from previous years. Therefore, all my study consisted of doing previous questions. I did them in order, and kept meticulous records. After every question, I would write a brief description of how I faired, various traps that I noticed but avoided, and anything else I felt would be helpful. When making those notes, it's important to remember that you will be below your peak mental-acuity in the exam - because of exam environment, fatigue, etc - and so what might seem obvious at home won't seem obvious then. As best I could, though not obsessively, I would try to group similar questions allowing me to easily revise certain sub-concepts. Some teachers get their students to answer questions as far back as the seventies; I only went as far back as the late nineties.

Hope that helps.

I have only seven questions done: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8.

Statics (7) is really a non option for me, so the question is, what question should I teach myself? Circular Motion? Differential Equations?

As I implied in a previous post, I'm not sure it's necessary to have an eighth topic. But, as Q6 contains both CM and SHM, and as some SHM q's can be quite tricky, I would go for Differential Equations. It's also quite a nice question once you get over the change in style from algebra to calculus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mico96

Hi 6th year here who started the course this year. So far I've covered 12345 and am pretty comfortable on them with just a small few bits to tidy up. I reckon I'll do 10 next but am unsure what to do for my seventh. I'm teaching myself so it's a slow enough process but I reckon I'll be able to fit two more in over Easter. Any recommendations or even some insight in to what each question is like would be greatly appreciated.

Mico96 wrote: »
    Hi 6th year here who started the course this year. So far I've covered 12345 and am pretty comfortable on them with just a small few bits to tidy up. I reckon I'll do 10 next but am unsure what to do for my seventh. I'm teaching myself so it's a slow enough process but I reckon I'll be able to fit two more in over Easter. Any recommendations or even some insight in to what each question is like would be greatly appreciated.

I'd go for 7 or 8. In 8 half of it can be learned off and it's the same auld stuff every year. 7 isn't too bad either but yeah 8 might be your best bet, take a look and see what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I done the exam last year and I always thought 9 was a decent enough q. I studied statics but I never liked it. I found hydrostatics alright though. Or done the question
    Differential equations is fairly alright expect in my case I done Appiled maths outside school and I didn't do integration till the last month of the year(in normal maths) so I was l lost when he went straight into the intergration before I done it on my normal maths

I have all the worked out solutions from Oliver murphys book so if anybody needs a question done out give us a call.
    I don't always seen the messages on this thread so pm us if I don't see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

bpb101 wrote: »
    I done the exam last year and I always thought 9 was a decent enough q. I studied statics but I never liked it. I found hydrostatics alright though. Or done the question
    Differential equations is fairly alright expect in my case I done Appiled maths outside school and I didn't do integration till the last month of the year(in normal maths) so I was l lost when he went straight into the intergration before I done it on my normal maths

I have all the worked out solutions from Oliver murphys book so if anybody needs a question done out give us a call.
    I don't always seen the messages on this thread so pm us if I don't see it

Do you have the blue version of the book (the new one) or the old one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Do you have the blue version of the book (the new one) or the old one?
    new and blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

bpb101 wrote: »
    new and blue

oh god can you send me them I will love you forever, I spent like 2 hours on a question I had due for monday and couldn't get it out. This would help me out big time haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

any of you lads at that revision yoke in trinity yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jmillz

From my experience of the exam last year, I had a basic understanding of 1 & 2 but I knew 3,4,5,6,8 & 10 Fairly well. I got an A1 so my advice would be to know 6 questions very very well.. (I had every exam paper back until applied maths inception in the 60's done), then when you going you've encountered pretty much anything that can come up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

jmillz wrote: »
    From my experience of the exam last year, I had a basic understanding of 1 & 2 but I knew 3,4,5,6,8 & 10 Fairly well. I got an A1 so my advice would be to know 6 questions very very well.. (I had every exam paper back until applied maths inception in the 60's done), then when you going you've encountered pretty much anything that can come up! :)
    The 60s? Mein gott, is there anywhere online one can find that far back? :eek:

I've almost done all the years I have :o

The 60s? Mein gott, is there anywhere online one can find that far back? :eek:

I've almost done all the years I have :o

http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/exammaterialappliedmaths.html has back to 1970

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jmillz

The physics teacher was defiantly my most used applied maths website! My teacher made us the exam papers because he had every paper on his computer and just got us to pay for the ink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

jmillz wrote: »

fair play on the dedication, can only imagine using ft instead of m was a pain though!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

In the DEB mock, was Q4b a bit strange? I'd never encountered a question where the surface of the wedge was rough before.

Also, have many of the Q10s in recent years needed integration by substitution? Sometimes when I come across one that I don't know how to do, I'm not sure if it's because the question requires integration by substitution or if it's something else.(Because to be honest, I don't really know what integration by substitution is, so I find it difficult to identify the questions which require it) I just want to be able to avoid those questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

FHB wrote: »
    In the DEB mock, was Q4b a bit strange? I'd never encountered a question where the surface of the wedge was rough before.

Also, have many of the Q10s in recent years needed integration by substitution? Sometimes when I come across one that I don't know how to do, I'm not sure if it's because the question requires integration by substitution or if it's something else.(Because to be honest, I don't really know what integration by substitution is, so I find it difficult to identify the questions which require it) I just want to be able to avoid those questions.

According to my teacher, integration by substitution is out, but what they can do is get you to arrange everything up to a point where you need to integrate by substitution, give you the answer to that and then you'd be able to finish out the question yourself, so you'll never actually be required to integrate by substitution itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shane_LFC

I'm having problems with the CBS Kilkenny Moodle, anyone know how to login as a guest without just getting "guest" placed into the login box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rwalsh97

6th year applied maths student here, I do it as an extra class three times a week, doing linear acceleration, projectiles, relative velocity, forces and pulleys and crap.., collisions, and the calculus question.
    In relation to all, how would one tackle the notoriously abstract questions? I just don't know where to even start and I just end up with loads of equations not knowing which ones to use.. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Advertisement