Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

rwalsh97 wrote: »
    6th year applied maths student here, I do it as an extra class three times a week, doing linear acceleration, projectiles, relative velocity, forces and pulleys and crap.., collisions, and the calculus question.
    In relation to all, how would one tackle the notoriously abstract questions? I just don't know where to even start and I just end up with loads of equations not knowing which ones to use.. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    just belt out all the equations. If you dont know u or v or s or whatever, just fire it into the usually equations. Thats what most of the marks actually go for. then see what you can substitute. eg re-arrange v=u+at to v-at=u and put v-at into s=(v-at)t+1/2at^2 or whatever you can get rid of . maybe re arrage to get rid of t. get rid of as much as you can
    even if you havent a clue what is going on.
    look at the marking schemes ,sometimes they are vague and if you dont know whats going on they wont tell you. but you can follow through.
    they really dont want to fail you, so dont worry . If you have any questions from fundamental applied maths book , post it here and ill give u a solution. I have them all on file so there no work on my behalf. so keep on posting questions. but i would say try them first

if i dont reply within 48 hours ,dont be afraid to pm me, i might just have not seen your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

Hello, I'm thinking of teaching myself applied maths during 6th year. I'm wondering which questions to do, and I'd really appreciate any advice at all! I've looked through the book at it seems quite daunting, but I'd really love to do it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

sdio wrote: »
    Hello, I'm thinking of teaching myself applied maths during 6th year. I'm wondering which questions to do, and I'd really appreciate any advice at all! I've looked through the book at it seems quite daunting, but I'd really love to do it.

Q1 isn't a bad place to start, especially if you already did the mechanics section in physics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

sdio wrote: »

You should be fine with Q.1 and 3. Q.3 is probably the easiest on the exam while question 1 tends to be a bit trickier because of the simplicity of the material.

Q.10 - differential equations - is a great question to do if you're comfortable with calculus.

I'd also recommends Q. 4 and 5

Thank you! Those questions sound good. I looked a bit through this thread and it seems they're the most common. I'm not doing physics but Q1 doesn't look too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Unless you are very good at maths, none of the questions is easy (though some, naturally, are easier than others), so I'd warn against complacency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Unless you are very good at maths, none of the questions is easy (though some, naturally, are easier than others), so I'd warn against complacency.

Nice name. I was amused.
    Also completely agree with you.

Thanks for your concern. I know there's a lot of work ahead of me, but I think it's the best option I have. And I'm hoping there'll be time to practise enough questions before the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 francis55

Shane_LFC wrote: »
    I'm having problems with the CBS Kilkenny Moodle, anyone know how to login as a guest without just getting "guest" placed into the login box?
    Just wondering if you have solved the problem when trying to log into CBS Kilkenny Moodle as guest. I can't login to it either. I found the site it very useful the site last year and would like to use it this year also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

francis55 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you have solved the problem when trying to log into CBS Kilkenny Moodle as guest. I can't login to it either. I found the site it very useful the site last year and would like to use it this year also.

You could always email and ask is it possible for them to give you a login. They can only say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Shane_LFC

francis55 wrote: »

No, I haven't been able to fix the problem. I tried to login again today and no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 seinstein1

Anyone here find projectiles easy? I find them very hard.Any tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm finding higher maths easy so far, and have done the light chapter in Physchem.

Would this subject be much different if you find practical uses of maths easy?

I'm finding higher maths easy so far, and have done the light chapter in Physchem.

Would this subject be much different if you find practical uses of maths easy?
    what year are you in.
    its more like physics expect no theory and all maths and the maths is harder and you have to take into account more forces acting on things

bpb101 wrote: »
    what year are you in.
    its more like physics expect no theory and all maths and the maths is harder and you have to take into account more forces acting on things

I'm in fifth year. I'm thinking about picking it up as maths in practical applications just clicks for me.

I'm in fifth year. I'm thinking about picking it up as maths in practical applications just clicks for me.
    getting too late. You really need to do as a class not that you need somebody to teach you , just gives a structure. Thats what i found beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Definitely take it up so!
    bpb101 wrote: »
    getting too late. You really need to do as a class not that you need somebody to teach you , just gives a structure. Thats what i found beneficial.

It's nowhere near too late. I only started around this time in 5th year, and I did feck all work in 5th year - I did most questions and such after Christmas of 6th year :)

You don't necessarily need a class - I certainly learned little enough from class - however as bpb101 said the structure would be useful :)

Definitely take it up so!

It's nowhere near too late. I only started around this time in 5th year, and I did feck all work in 5th year - I did most questions and such after Christmas of 6th year :)

You don't necessarily need a class - I certainly learned little enough from class - however as bpb101 said the structure would be useful :)

I'm thinking about taking grind classes.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions, will ask teacher tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm thinking about taking grind classes.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions, will ask teacher tomorrow.

Go for it. I sat in applied maths class for a year in a half on my phone and failing every test that came along, thinking I was a great lad of course.

If you want to get good at app maths, I'd advise you to go to thephysicsteacher.ie and go to past papers. Start with the oldest ones you can find and look at the marking schemes. They did them different in the past compared to now. There's much more information. There are YouTube channels that you can go to to get solutions for a full question if you really have no idea what to do. Once you get the hang of it it's actually the same thing over and over again.

P.S. I also failed the mocks in Applied Maths (20%). I got a B3 in the real thing. Put in the work as soon as you can so you're not left doing 20/30 past papers the week before the exam in June like I was.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Go for it. I sat in applied maths class for a year in a half on my phone and failing every test that came along, thinking I was a great lad of course.

If you want to get good at app maths, I'd advise you to go to thephysicsteacher.ie and go to past papers. Start with the oldest ones you can find and look at the marking schemes. They did them different in the past compared to now. There's much more information. There are YouTube channels that you can go to to get solutions for a full question if you really have no idea what to do. Once you get the hang of it it's actually the same thing over and over again.

P.S. I also failed the mocks in Applied Maths (20%). I got a B3 in the real thing. Put in the work as soon as you can so you're not left doing 20/30 past papers the week before the exam in June like I was.

Doing past papers always works. For JC, I almost failed the mocks but got a B on higher maths for the actual exam.

I just did every exam question over and over leading up to June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Aspiring wrote: »

Aspiring has the right idea - it's doing past papers that'll improve you :)

Mind you, I wouldn't start with the oldest papers - they usually have full questions (rather than a part a and b), and are relatively outdated. I'd start with the early 2000s, work my way back to the 80s, then finish with the late 2000s/2010s :)

Talking about youtube videos
    Best youtuber out there for applied maths and hl/ol maths .
    i did my exams in 2013 as this new and less improved project maths came in and he had all the solutions to the sample papers.
    His applied maths videos were second to none
    He also has physics maths videos

check him out
    1000 of hours worth of stuff

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOYoe9L9R13HGUIhszjkeug
    looks like he has a website as well
    http://www.keystomaths.com/

I'm half way through Linear Motion and it's not bad so far. This subject does take a lot of thinking, a lot more than the maths I've done in class. I like it though. You really do get to see why you learn all these formulas and their practical uses - plus applied maths seems handy for engineering courses and the like at University level.

At the moment, I'm self-teaching myself, but it's working. Constantly doing questions and have the solutions of them to check if I'm right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Hi guys,

So Im in 6th year and have been cracking away at this since the start of the year. I did feck all in this last year but Im finding it grand now.

Anyway I have to revise 2 more topics and then I will just start going over past papers like mad.
    I can do questions topic by topic but then when I attempt other topics I havent done for a while, I have to look over some questions to remember what to do.

Should I do all the questions a topic at a time or paper by paper?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So Im in 6th year and have been cracking away at this since the start of the year. I did feck all in this last year but Im finding it grand now.

Anyway I have to revise 2 more topics and then I will just start going over past papers like mad.
    I can do questions topic by topic but then when I attempt other topics I havent done for a while, I have to look over some questions to remember what to do.

Should I do all the questions a topic at a time or paper by paper?

Thanks
    what i did was cover a topic fully and done every question from 2013 back to 1990 on that topic, but make sure you understand every question back until then(if you are aiming for an a1)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Huell wrote: »
    what i did was cover a topic fully and done every question from 2013 back to 1990 on that topic, but make sure you understand every question back until then(if you are aiming for an a1)

Thanks for the tip. I think i will do that so

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fjollybxo

Page 22 question 12 anyone? Oliver Murphys blue book

fjollybxo wrote: »
    Page 22 question 12 anyone? Oliver Murphys blue book
    chapter, subsection???

• Registered Users Posts: 30 fjollybxo

Eeeh chapter 2 , 2A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 oneillsk

I'll been doing applied maths outside of school since start of 5th year. Had it once a week in fifth year and twice a week now in sixth year. We're delaying our Mocks till easter as we aren't prepared
    We have covered Q1,2,3,4,5,8,10 and are currently revising them. The worrying thing for me Is that when we do a particular topic,i usually learn off most of the method and this gets me an A in most exams. However I feel when the 7 questions are brought together I won't be capable of doing them. Does anyone else get this feeling?

Advertisement