Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

oneillsk wrote: »
    I'll been doing applied maths outside of school since start of 5th year. Had it once a week in fifth year and twice a week now in sixth year. We're delaying our Mocks till easter as we aren't prepared
    We have covered Q1,2,3,4,5,8,10 and are currently revising them. The worrying thing for me Is that when we do a particular topic,i usually learn off most of the method and this gets me an A in most exams. However I feel when the 7 questions are brought together I won't be capable of doing them. Does anyone else get this feeling?

Well you're just going to have to do seven times the work to get an A in each individual question! What a lot of people seemed to have done is go through all of the last like thirty years of questions until you know them inside out. That way you'll have every method covered. The only difference between mocks and doing an exam on one question in an exam is the scale. It's just six times the size, all else equal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

What a lot of people seemed to have done is go through all of the last like thirty years of questions until you know them inside out.

I did App Maths in a year, and we would do - in class and as homework - probably no more than 20/25 questions in each topic. It was only when I got to college that I realised that it's quite a common teaching practice to finish the course early (it is, after all, quite short (especially if just covering six/seven topics)) and then cynically go back over years of questions and effectively rote-learn what is supposed to be one of the subjects that least prone to such practices. Disappointing, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

fjollybxo wrote: »
    Eeeh chapter 2 , 2A
    as requested

339181.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Hmm... my Applied Maths teacher told us there were only two. Although she has been wrong about many things, so it is extremely possible she's wrong about that too!

There are 3 girls schools in Cork alone that offer it.

337 girls did app maths in 2013
    1133 men done app maths in 2013

stats from sec

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Girls and men?
    Were they lovely girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Our class was about half and half girlsies and boysies by the end as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Circular motion or relative velocity.... hmmmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Kremin wrote: »
    Circular motion or relative velocity.... hmmmm..

Relative velocity, once you have your head round it you're sorted.

Relative velocity, once you have your head round it you're sorted.

My only problem with it is how easily I forgot it. Maybe ill do it as a back up,
    right now im looking at Linear Motion, Projectiles, Particle Dynamics, Collisions, Differential Equations and either RV or SHM.
    I'll probably do both just to have back ups on the day, Statics is horrible so I will be forgetting that lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

What are the easiest 6 questions to do in the exam?
    Im thinking of doing Q's 1,2,3,4,5,8 &10

coolerboy wrote: »
    What are the easiest 6 questions to do in the exam?
    Im thinking of doing Q's 1,2,3,4,5,8 &10

Depends on ability to be honest, also you really need to focus on more than 6 questions , they can make the questions quite horrible if they want to so a backup is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Hey all! How do you find the shortest path when the river has a greater velocity than the swimmer? Can't seem to remember at all...

Hey all! How do you find the shortest path when the river has a greater velocity than the swimmer? Can't seem to remember at all...

do you have a question from the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Dya get the swimmer to head upstream at some angle so that the i component of the relative velocity is zero no?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Ompala wrote: »
    Dya get the swimmer to head upstream at some angle so that the i component of the relative velocity is zero no?

That was my auto-pilot initially also but because the river is flowing at a faster speed the relative i velocity can't be zero

Is this the question in fundamental applied maths book? If it is, you have the distance travelled east and north and you can therefore find the real path in terms of v and angles
    Then you can draw a triangle of the relative path with the j being equal to the actual and the i being the actual minus the vel of river.
    Then use pythagros to solve for v and find angle.

Sorry if this is completely irrelevant but it mediated made me think of that one question in the book! :)

Does anyone know which years/ parts of the questions we should do/ignore for q10 (differential equations) .

I know that integration by substitution is gone since 2012, so i was wondering which questions we should be able to do before 2012.

Does anyone know which years/ parts of the questions we should do/ignore for q10 (differential equations) .

I know that integration by substitution is gone since 2012, so i was wondering which questions we should be able to do before 2012.

I think we're still able to do all the differential equation questions even if they may require integration by parts. It's usually the case that you can kind of work your way backwards without the need to do it by parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Work up to the part where you integrate, then get the integration part off the marking scheme, then finish the question

• Advertisement

the letter read if i recall , that it will no longer be a requirement to use integration by substitution . Dosent mean you cant use it

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

These are the only parts pre 2012 that can now be asked:
    2011 10 (a)
    2007 10 (a)
    2005 10 (a) and (b)
    2004 10 (a)
    2002 10 (a)
    2001 10 (a) and (b)
    2000 10 (a) and (b)
    1998 10 (a) and (b)
    1997 10 (a) and (b)
    1996 10 (a)

lostatsea wrote: »
    These are the only parts pre 2012 that can now be asked:
    2011 10 (a)
    2007 10 (a)
    2005 10 (a) and (b)
    2004 10 (a)
    2002 10 (a)
    2001 10 (a) and (b)
    2000 10 (a) and (b)
    1998 10 (a) and (b)
    1997 10 (a) and (b)
    1996 10 (a)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

2013 2 (a) (ii)

Marking scheme comes up with:
    Vab is proportional to AB, therefore 9 - 15cosA = 0

can someone explain that line to me? I have gotten everything up to it, but I can't figure out the relationship..

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

2013 2 (a) (ii)

Marking scheme comes up with:
    Vab is proportional to AB, therefore 9 - 15cosA = 0

can someone explain that line to me? I have gotten everything up to it, but I can't figure out the relationship..

That symbol means perpendicular. Here's how I thought of it:

You know that the shortest distance between the cars is 36 m, so imagine a circle of radius 36 around Car B. Car A travels past Car B as a tangent to this circle (relative to Car B). Therefore AB (normal to circle) is perpendicular to Vab (tangent to circle). Because we have AB on our i-axis, Vab is therefore vertical, so its i-component = 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

sdio wrote: »
    That symbol means perpendicular. Here's how I thought of it:

You know that the shortest distance between the cars is 36 m, so imagine a circle of radius 36 around Car B. Car A travels past Car B as a tangent to this circle (relative to Car B). Therefore AB (normal to circle) is perpendicular to Vab (tangent to circle). Because we have AB on our i-axis, Vab is therefore vertical, so its i-component = 0.

I meant to say perpendicular, my bad. But thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SeanG999

I'm in 5th year(almost finished now). I do applied maths outside of school with our maths teacher. There are five or us, which happens to be the entire physics class plus me. We've covered questions 1, 2, 3 and 4. We only manage to have class once a week

A bullet with a velocity of 35 m/s is fired from a point, P, at the same time as a bird flies out of a tree, 5.6 metres above, horizontally with velocity 28 m/s. What is the angle of projection of the bullet? Anyone know the method to do this, it's in relation to question 2

SeanG999 wrote: »
    I'm in 5th year(almost finished now). I do applied maths outside of school with our maths teacher. There are five or us, which happens to be the entire physics class plus me. We've covered questions 1, 2, 3 and 4. We only manage to have class once a week

A bullet with a velocity of 35 m/s is fired from a point, P, at the same time as a bird flies out of a tree, 5.6 metres above, horizontally with velocity 28 m/s. What is the angle of projection of the bullet? Anyone know the method to do this, it's in relation to question 2
    Book ; Chapter; section ;question?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Sounds more Q3 (projectiles) than Q2 (relative velocity) to me

Split the bullet's velocity into horizontal and vertical components
    When the bullet hits the bird the vertical displacement is 5.6 m and the horizontal displacements of the bird and the bullet will be equal
    That should be it, I think :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is this a book question? It's not very specific. Can I assume that the bulet hits the bird?
    Ompala wrote: »
    Sounds more Q3 (projectiles) than Q2 (relative velocity) to me

Split the bullet's velocity into horizontal and vertical components
    When the bullet hits the bird the vertical displacement is 5.6 m and the horizontal displacements of the bird and the bullet will be equal
    That should be it, I think :o

That's how I did it too.

Advertisement