Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MathNerd

Hi!

Does anyone have the solutions to the questions in Oliver Murphy's book "Fundamental Applied Maths Second Edition" or know where I could get them?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

MathNerd wrote: »
    Hi!

Does anyone have the solutions to the questions in Oliver Murphy's book "Fundamental Applied Maths Second Edition" or know where I could get them?

Thanks!

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MathNerd

Within 30 minutes of me asking for solutions I get helped by 2 people! Thank you so much, you're awesome! You two just saved my life.

MathNerd wrote: »
    Within 30 minutes of me asking for solutions I get helped by 2 people! Thank you so much, you're awesome! You two just saved my life.
    we all done our stretch. i just dont remember any of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Ok pretty much finished the course now.
    So for definite on the day I'm going to do Q1, 3, 4, 5 and then I'm torn.
    I think I'll do Q10 if it looks like I can get most of the marks, my only problem is we don't really have a lot of source material to work off of as they removed a lot of old questions due to removal of integration by substitution... I guess this put me off the question but it's still one of them I'll look at on the day.
    Then I need to do either SHM/Circular Motion, RV or Rigid body motion.. and honestly I'm gearing towards RBM, the proofs are easy once you know one so easy 20/50.

What are your guys opinions and predictions for what will come up... does anyone think they'll ask the wedge again for particle dynamics/pulleys and pushes or whatever some people call it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JackHarley

bpb101 wrote: »
    pm sent

If you have a copy of the book solutions (2nd edition) would you mind sending them on? I'm stuck on a few oblique collisions questions and the solutions would be really helpful!

Thanks. :)

JackHarley wrote: »
    If you have a copy of the book solutions (2nd edition) would you mind sending them on? I'm stuck on a few oblique collisions questions and the solutions would be really helpful!

Thanks. :)
    pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Kremin wrote: »
    Ok pretty much finished the course now.
    So for definite on the day I'm going to do Q1, 3, 4, 5 and then I'm torn.
    I think I'll do Q10 if it looks like I can get most of the marks, my only problem is we don't really have a lot of source material to work off of as they removed a lot of old questions due to removal of integration by substitution... I guess this put me off the question but it's still one of them I'll look at on the day.
    Then I need to do either SHM/Circular Motion, RV or Rigid body motion.. and honestly I'm gearing towards RBM, the proofs are easy once you know one so easy 20/50.

What are your guys opinions and predictions for what will come up... does anyone think they'll ask the wedge again for particle dynamics/pulleys and pushes or whatever some people call it.

Hopefully a wedge does not come up since it came up last year but I guess you don't know with the new chief examiner.
    Also for RBM the proof for the circle has been on for the last 5 years so i think a rod is due.

I am definitely doing q 3, 4, 5 and more than likely q 10. Motion and Relative velocity are not too bad depending on the q.
    RBM is an easy 20 marks but the B part can be somewhat hard i find. Hopefully a nice question is on for q6. I hated SHM at the start of the year but now it would be one of my better questions

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Hopefully a wedge does not come up since it came up last year but I guess you don't know with the new chief examiner.
    Also for RBM the proof for the circle has been on for the last 5 years so i think a rod is due.

I am definitely doing q 3, 4, 5 and more than likely q 10. Motion and Relative velocity are not too bad depending on the q.
    RBM is an easy 20 marks but the B part can be somewhat hard i find. Hopefully a nice question is on for q6. I hated SHM at the start of the year but now it would be one of my better questions

Honestly, if the statics question is nice, i might do it. In the mocks, we hadnt finished the course and i never really thought id do statics but i attempted it anyway and got 40/50, full on part a and mostly attempts on part b which was nice.

Honestly I really wanted to do the SHM motion question but theres just too much in it which put me off.. I think I just need to pick a question and learn it all really well again.

Just did the 2014 dif equations question... damn they got it easy... 2012's was horrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Honestly, if the statics question is nice, i might do it. In the mocks, we hadnt finished the course and i never really thought id do statics but i attempted it anyway and got 40/50, full on part a and mostly attempts on part b which was nice.

Honestly I really wanted to do the SHM motion question but theres just too much in it which put me off.. I think I just need to pick a question and learn it all really well again.

Just did the 2014 dif equations question... damn they got it easy... 2012's was horrid.

Is it bad I thought that q10 was disgusting when I sat the paper? :pac: :o

Edit: looking back at it now actually I'm not sure why I thought that..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Daniel2590 wrote: »

Yeah, it seemed awful at the time but now I don't think it was too bad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Daniel2590 wrote: »

Nim wrote: »
    Yeah, it seemed awful at the time but now I don't think it was too bad :o
    Lesson for this year's lot:

Papers / questions (in any subject) can often seem much worse on the day because you're hyper / stressed / tired / obsessing about Q. 4 (d) not working out fully, as if the 5 marks available for that part were going to bring you down from an A to an E!

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2012/LC020ALP000EV.pdf Could anyone explain Q10 (B) please? I don't understand how acceleration is = -kv^2...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2012/LC020ALP000EV.pdf Could anyone explain Q10 (B) please? I don't understand how acceleration is = -kv^2...

Resistance is equal to Force
    F=ma
    ma =mkv^2
    a=kv^2
    Because it is opposing motion therefore it is minus :)

OMGeary wrote: »
    Resistance is equal to Force
    F=ma
    ma =mkv^2
    a=kv^2
    Because it is opposing motion therefore it is minus :)
    resistance is force. okay thank you now I get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Can someone explain how to integrate the left side of this? http://prntscr.com/74vvqn
    I checked the marking scheme but as usual they skip like 700 steps so I am a bit lost.. 2007 q10 (b) (i)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

Can someone explain how to integrate the left side of this? http://prntscr.com/74vvqn
    I checked the marking scheme but as usual they skip like 700 steps so I am a bit lost.. 2007 q10 (b) (i)

Thanks!

You cannot be asked to do this any more as it involves integration by substitution which is no longer on the maths course.

These are the only parts pre 2012 that can now be asked:
    2011 10 (a)
    2007 10 (a)
    2005 10 (a) and (b)
    2004 10 (a)
    2002 10 (a)
    2001 10 (a) and (b)
    2000 10 (a) and (b)
    1998 10 (a) and (b)
    1997 10 (a) and (b)
    1996 10 (a)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

lostatsea wrote: »
    You cannot be asked to do this any more as it involves integration by substitution which is no longer on the maths course.

These are the only parts pre 2012 that can now be asked:
    2011 10 (a)
    2007 10 (a)
    2005 10 (a) and (b)
    2004 10 (a)
    2002 10 (a)
    2001 10 (a) and (b)
    2000 10 (a) and (b)
    1998 10 (a) and (b)
    1997 10 (a) and (b)
    1996 10 (a)

Thank you!

God, part of me really wants to like moments of inertia and do well in it, but I can't understand the questions for the life of me.
    The marking schemes are no help either, they skip so many lines and just jump straight to the conclusions.

Also its so hard to decide which formula to use.. the question says perpendicular to the plane, but apparently using the perpendicular axes theorem is incorrect O-o

I'm just praying for a question with something like finding the equivalent length of the simple pendulum, at least then I know FIND I AND H.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Is anyone thinking of doing more than six questions? I'll be covering seven questions, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to answer an extra one in case I mess one up and don't realise it.

It means that you'd have 21 minutes per question, but I think that's quite manageable. However, the faster one goes, the more prone they are to mistakes, and it may be better just to focus on six.

• Advertisement

Is anyone thinking of doing more than six questions? I'll be covering seven questions, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to answer an extra one in case I mess one up and don't realise it.

It means that you'd have 21 minutes per question, but I think that's quite manageable. However, the faster one goes, the more prone they are to mistakes, and it may be better just to focus on six.

I'm thinking of doing Q1,3,4,5,10 and maybe 2 or 6, depending on the question that's asked.
    Once I have those 6 done i'll shoot down the proof for q6 and make any attempt I can...

All depends on time though I guess..
    Usually I can get through a Lin. Motion question in 15 minutes but sometimes particle dynamic questions can take me a while to do, say if its a system of 2 pulleys with 2 particles on each.

If I do q6 ill probably run out of time as I take forever taking moments of a force because if I try speed it up, I mess up dramatically.

I'm thinking of doing Q1,3,4,5,10 and maybe 2 or 6, depending on the question that's asked.
    Once I have those 6 done i'll shoot down the proof for q6 and make any attempt I can...

All depends on time though I guess..
    Usually I can get through a Lin. Motion question in 15 minutes but sometimes particle dynamic questions can take me a while to do, say if its a system of 2 pulleys with 2 particles on each.

If I do q6 ill probably run out of time as I take forever taking moments of a force because if I try speed it up, I mess up dramatically.

I find that I spend the most time on linear motion! In the mocks it took the longest time to complete by far, and, not only that, but it was my worsed answered.

By question 6, do you mean Statics or Moments of Inertia? I don't do the latter, and I find Statics to be horrible. If I were to do it, I'd spend ages thinking of which point to take moments of, too.

I'll probably leave it to the day. There may be some question I get bogged down on which I know I can find a way out of, but would only take time; and I wouldn't bother with a seventh. But if I fly through a circular motion question, I'll be inclined to do a seventh because one could easily simplify the question.

I find that I spend the most time on linear motion! In the mocks it took the longest time to complete by far, and, not only that, but it was my worsed answered.

By question 6, do you mean Statics or Moments of Inertia? I don't do the latter, and I find Statics to be horrible. If I were to do it, I'd spend ages thinking of which point to take moments of, too.

I'll probably leave it to the day. There may be some question I get bogged down on which I know I can find a way out of, but would only take time; and I wouldn't bother with a seventh. But if I fly through a circular motion question, I'll be inclined to do a seventh because one could easily simplify the question.
    Q6 is statics, Q8 moments of Inertia

The thing I love about Inertia is how quick the equations are, difficulty is just finding the right one to use :P
    Q6 is handy because as long as you know how to take moments properly, you can get the marks. In the mocks I got almost full marks and i didnt even finish part b, just attempted everything and stopped when i had no idea where to go.

What mock did you out of interest? I did Examcraft i think and I thought it was relatively simple (q1)

Q6 is statics, Q8 moments of Inertia

The thing I love about Inertia is how quick the equations are, difficulty is just finding the right one to use :P
    Q6 is handy because as long as you know how to take moments properly, you can get the marks. In the mocks I got almost full marks and i didnt even finish part b, just attempted everything and stopped when i had no idea where to go.

What mock did you out of interest? I did Examcraft i think and I thought it was relatively simple (q1)

But when there are rods leaning against eachother, you've a handful of equations to go through and it's so exhausting! I prefer a question like Relative Velocity where you have one equation and just work with it.

It was the one with the barcode on the right (Examcraft?). Question one was with stunt drivers. Part a was nice, but I messed up the second part. Overall, nice paper!

But when there are rods leaning against eachother, you've a handful of equations to go through and it's so exhausting! I prefer a question like Relative Velocity where you have one equation and just work with it.

It was the one with the barcode on the right (Examcraft?). Question one was with stunt drivers. Part a was nice, but I messed up the second part. Overall, nice paper!

Yeah thats the one I had.. got 80-something I think didnt even do part b of relative velocity :)

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2007/LC020ALPO00EV.pdf Q8 b) Why is the inertia of the square 4/3mr^2 + 4/3mr^2 and not 1/3mr^2 +m(root2r)^2 (paralel axis theorem )

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rosso98

I am going into sixth year and am wondering is it possble to start applied maths and still get an A1 in it. I am very good at maths(Higher) and I am studying Physics

Rosso98 wrote: »
    I am going into sixth year and am wondering is it possble to start applied maths and still get an A1 in it. I am very good at maths(Higher) and I am studying Physics

I'll tell you this august, but yes.. it should be very possible depending on a few factors. I only started in late september and did 9/10 of the questions when you only need to do 6... if you take about a month/3 weeks per question you'll definitely get 9 done.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

Rosso98 wrote: »

I think so... if you are good at maths and hard-working it'd definitely possible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Easily. The course isn't long. The only thing is that you'll need to practice a lot to get fast at solving problems. This may end up taking up quite a bit of your time.

Advertisement