Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

use the summer . Very short course but if you do it by yourself , you may put it off (if your that type of a person) if you arent working or something, try and get half the course(3 questions) done over the summer and have them pitch perfect and then try and get another 3 done by chirstmas

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

App maths lads, how does this tan make sense? Tan is o/a, which in the diagram is 23.49/28.55, not the other way around (tan = 28.55/23.49 in the marking scheme 2012 question 2)?
    http://prntscr.com/7er4fo

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

App maths lads, how does this tan make sense? Tan is o/a, which in the diagram is 23.49/28.55, not the other way around (tan = 28.55/23.49 in the marking scheme 2012 question 2)?
    http://prntscr.com/7er4fo

The angle at which it appears to strike the windscreen would be the angle it makes with the vertical (+32 degrees). Like how the initial 20 degrees is measured.

I'd move this to the Applied Maths thread but I'm on my phone and effort..
    There is an AM thread somewhere :pac:

Nim wrote: »
    Yous are an awful quiet bunch altogether :P

The angle at which it appears to strike the windscreen would be the angle it makes with the vertical (+32 degrees). Like how the initial 20 degrees is measured.

Why the vertical though?

Why the vertical though?

Okay, let's back up.

Think about it like this:

What angle is it actually hitting the windshield and how do you measure that?

52 degrees, right? The angle between the rain and the windshield. Which you can break down into the sum of the angle the windshield makes with the vertical and the angle the rain makes with the vertical.

The 32 degrees the windshield makes with the vertical remains constant. It's the angle of the velocity of the rain that changes.

So, you get the angle that the RV makes with the vertical and add on the 32 degrees of the windshield and you get the angle it appears to hit the windscreen.

I think :pac:

• Advertisement

Okay, let's back up.

Think about it like this:

What angle is it actually hitting the windshield and how do you measure that?

52 degrees, right? The angle between the rain and the windshield. Which you can break down into the sum of the angle the windshield makes with the vertical and the angle the rain makes with the vertical.

The 32 degrees the windshield makes with the vertical remains constant. It's the angle of the velocity of the rain that changes.

So, you get the angle that the RV makes with the vertical and add on the 32 degrees of the windshield and you get the angle it appears to hit the windscreen.

I think :pac:

Ohh I get you, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm not sure that there is actually, but if you find it tomorrow you can merge them! :p

I'm not sure that there is actually, but if you find it tomorrow you can merge them! :p

Not a new one, no. There's another thread that's been active for a few years for all AM discussion because we're cliquey like that :p

I'm subbed to it, I'll find it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Not a new one, no. There's another thread that's been active for a few years for all AM discussion because we're cliquey like that :p

I'm subbed to it, I'll find it tomorrow.
    Oh yeah, I remember that one all right, it's like the AgSci one, it just keeps rolllllling ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Oh yeah, I remember that one all right, it's like the AgSci one, it just keeps rolllllling ... :pac:

Like a sphere on a frictionless surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I'm going to do Q1,Q3,Q4,Q5,Q8 and Q10. I think I'll cover relative velocity just in case too.

Praying that a wedge doesn't appear in Q4, I hate them wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Kremin wrote:

Hope they do,they're lovely once you get the hang of it (getting the hang of it can take a long time though)

OMGeary wrote: »
    Hope they do,they're lovely once you get the hang of it (getting the hang of it can take a long time though)

I always mix up the two accelerations, I got almost full marks in the mocks but it was a pretty simply wedges question imo. I'd much prefer a multiple string or multiple pulley question :l

Kremin wrote: »
    I'm going to do Q1,Q3,Q4,Q5,Q8 and Q10. I think I'll cover relative velocity just in case too.

Didn't that come up last year?

Anyone else the only person sitting app maths in their school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Anyone else the only person sitting app maths in their school ?

I'm not sure but I think I am! It's going to be so uncomfortable, the supervisor just sitting there waiting for me :rolleyes:

Also does anyone have the mock applied maths paper that I could be have a look at? I'm doing it for leaving cert but never did a mock paper :P

AlfaJack wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I think I am! It's going to be so uncomfortable, the supervisor just sitting there waiting for me :rolleyes:

Also does anyone have the mock applied maths paper that I could be have a look at? I'm doing it for leaving cert but never did a mock paper :P

I'm gonna be alone too :)

Kremin wrote: »
    I'm gonna be alone too :)

Will be so much craic, Sitting in a massive gym all alone, the supervisor just looking at you for the whole time. :(
    Plus there is the possibility I won't be able to do the paper and just sit there crying :)

Will be so much craic, Sitting in a massive gym all alone, the supervisor just looking at you for the whole time. :(
    Plus there is the possibility I won't be able to do the paper and just sit there crying :)

You'll probably be in a small room, to be honest.

2012 q4
    http://prntscr.com/7fusyp

where to get that acceleration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

2012 q4

I think you have to recalculate the acceleration, because T = 0 now.

So:

-mgsinA - muR = ma
    a = -11/13 g

sdio wrote: »
    I think you have to recalculate the acceleration, because T = 0 now.

So:

-mgsinA - muR = ma
    a = -11/13 g

thank you :)

2012 q4

b strikes ground so string goes taut, which means there is no tension.
    gravity works straight down but the block is at an angle so you have to resolve the gravity force and get the new acceleration.

Relative Acceleration in q4 hasnt been up since 2011? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

hey all can anyone help me with 2014 q6 (B) part (ii)
    why is T equal to mv^2/d ?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sdio

Does anyone know if we need units in our answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Hi guys, I've done every past paper question up to 1990 (besides statics and fluid dynamics), was wondering if anyone had links to any additional resources i can work on during the week as I have nothing left :P

sdio wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we need units in our answers?

Ye, on the front of last years paper it says about including units, pretty sure its the first year that actually said to include them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Obviously there are loads of places to getting kinematics questions. I used to do ALevel mechanics papers. (Mechanics are optional modules as part of their maths.) There are several exam boards (i.e. not everyone sits the same exam): OCR, AQA, Edexcel and a few others. With a bit of searching, you can find the past papers on each of their websites. Here are OCR's. If you're very good, you might be interested in looking at Trinity's past papers - the first year mechanics papers in maths, engineering and physics (through Natural Sciences) overlap with LC Applied Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Hi guys, I've done every past paper question up to 1990 (besides statics and fluid dynamics), was wondering if anyone had links to any additional resources i can work on during the week as I have nothing left :P

Thephysicsteacher.ie has questions going back to the 70s if you are out of questions

Advertisement