Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

OMGeary wrote: »
    can you use v dv/ds straight away or do you have to show how you got it

Pretty sure you can use it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

can you use v dv/ds straight away or do you have to show how you got it

definitely straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aaroncurran97

Anyone have any links for some really good notes? I've just been using Oliver Murphy's first edition until now and my Applied Maths teacher was absolutely useless, just looking for some good notes that could help maximize my grade

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Anyone have any links for some really good notes? I've just been using Oliver Murphy's first edition until now and my Applied Maths teacher was absolutely useless, just looking for some good notes that could help maximize my grade

http://thephysicsteacher.ie/index.html#.VYMHm_lVikq

what questions do ye intend to do tomorrow and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 aaroncurran97

Does anyone know if you can use the formula for the tension in a string if its the question where one pulley is moveable and has a string passing under it attached to two other masses? The formula is T =4m1m2m3g/(4m1m2 + m2m3 + m1m3), hopefully one of you know what I'm on about haha, but anyway yeah can we just write that formula down and plug in values or do we have to use the equations of motion we formulate based on the information given in the question to find the tension in the string?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Does anyone know if you can use the formula for the tension in a string if its the question where one pulley is moveable and has a string passing under it attached to two other masses? The formula is T =4m1m2m3g/(4m1m2 + m2m3 + m1m3), hopefully one of you know what I'm on about haha, but anyway yeah can we just write that formula down and plug in values or do we have to use the equations of motion we formulate based on the information given in the question to find the tension in the string?

If I understand you correctly, no, you certainly can't do that!

Working from the answer will never give you a definite answer. You have to work with formulae in order to reach that answer. If you work backwards, you'll never find a correct answer. You'll likely get something like T+5m= 4a, which wouldn't prove anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 YouKnowNothing

Can't wait for a nice dirty wedge question tomorrow :P

I hate wedges but after two years, today I might have nailed them. Guess I'll see tomorrow if I have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Have done very little study for Applied Maths. I just can't concentrate on doing it!

Anyways, anyone thinking of doing seven questions? I'll go for it myself. My game plan is going to look like:

1. SHM / Circular Motion (arguably the easiest)
    2. Relative Velocity (love this question!)
    3. Projectiles
    4. Newton's laws - Can easily go wrong :(
    5. Impacts and Collisions
    6. Differential Equations
    7. Linear Motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

With a nice heavy block on it

Good luck lads anyways , ill be a sleep for most of the affair .
    As i done mine 2 years ago

Have done very little study for Applied Maths. I just can't concentrate on doing it!

Anyways, anyone thinking of doing seven questions? I'll go for it myself. My game plan is going to look like:

1. SHM / Circular Motion (arguably the easiest)
    2. Relative Velocity (love this question!)
    3. Projectiles
    4. Newton's laws - Can easily go wrong :(
    5. Impacts and Collisions
    6. Differential Equations
    7. Linear Motion.

I have 7 questions prepared but I'll only try 7 if i can hopefully shave some time off my better questions.

1. Differential equaions
    2. Collisions
    3. Projectiles
    4. Connected particles
    5. Probably Moments of inertia
    6. Between relative velocity(hit and miss for me) and motion

Also had q6 somewhat prepared but not a fan of Circular motion for some reason so that is now out. God I hope this exam goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Applied maths really slipped under the radar, didn't help that I had three exams this week so I had next to know time to concentrate on it. Probably gonna do 8 Qs, we covered everything but statics and fluid dynamics in class so i'll be able to attempt everything. Whoopee.

Had mind fizz the whole day, nothing I've done has stuck unfortunately. Just gonna see how it goes tomorrow, not gonna beat myself up over it, it's my worst subject anyway....which begs the question of why i do it as an 8th subject :P was doing it as a safety net subject but nothing has gone disastrously wrong, so i don't forsee myself needing it now (TOUCH WOOD)

Just hope the paper is easier than last year, i'd so love to get a B in it, just to say I did xD have to make all those before-school classes worthwhile ahahah! Best of luck everyone, just remember that after this we're FREE! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Am I the only one who actually wants a wedge question?

A wedge with one particle is fine, it's two particles I'd personally avoid if it came up

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

I would love a wedge as long as there's no tensions involved! Always cock it up if there are tensions in the Q :P

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

I am basically praying to get 40 in q4,5,10 and then like 15 in 1,2,3 because i hate them

and then ill be done with the LC god damn, it has been a long 2.5 weeks

Does anyone have a general strategy for statics to get the answer? It always seems like you just make a few equations and sub things in. Are there particular places you should look to take moments and for the full/half system is what I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Applied maths really slipped under the radar, didn't help that I had three exams this week so I had next to know time to concentrate on it. Probably gonna do 8 Qs, we covered everything but statics and fluid dynamics in class so i'll be able to attempt everything. Whoopee.

Had mind fizz the whole day, nothing I've done has stuck unfortunately. Just gonna see how it goes tomorrow, not gonna beat myself up over it, it's my worst subject anyway....which begs the question of why i do it as an 8th subject :P was doing it as a safety net subject but nothing has gone disastrously wrong, so i don't forsee myself needing it now (TOUCH WOOD)

Just hope the paper is easier than last year, i'd so love to get a B in it, just to say I did xD have to make all those before-school classes worthwhile ahahah! Best of luck everyone, just remember that after this we're FREE! :D

I'm in the same position as you there mate (nice username btw!)

I've wanted to drop this subject since the mocks. I'm barely able to study, none of the methods for the questions stick in my head. I don't even want to do the exam tomorrow. But I will, just so I can throttle that exam paper, do what I can, and walk out with a well-earned C2.

Unless a horrible question on relative velocity or circular motion comes up, in which case I'll probably just bow my head and admit defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭expiiplus1

Good luck to all tomorrow folks!
    I'm hoping for a fairly lively paper - anything except those bloody time-consuming wedges. Also a short 3b would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dazzadazza

Not if you have italian like myself haha

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I would love a wedge as long as there's no tensions involved! Always cock it up if there are tensions in the Q :P

I have no idea how to do a wedge question, what forces do you show etc, always confuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Hopefully a nice paper today ;)
    Need this to go well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Best of luck to all! I did my applied maths exam many years ago :) A great subject and hopefully you will be rewarded for all the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057449099
    that was a tough one

Edit:
    Could everyone use that thread linked above to discuss the 2015 paper? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fablisa

Hi Everyone,

Am a 5th year student teaching myself Applied Maths, i have Oliver Murphy's 2nd ed, was wondering if anyone has solutions to it please? would like to start straight away.

Many thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/224151-whistleblower-blows-whistle-gosafe-cash-camera-vans-allegedly-robbing-motorists.html

"
    The camera is supposed to be aimed at a precise 22 degree angle towards the targeted vehicle lane Radar is susceptible to a phenomenon known as the cosine effect which will increase the measured speed if the angle is less than the expected 22 degrees."

Im trying to work out the distances that you have to pass a speed van in order to be caught.
    Firstly , I know they take 2 difference values , but the interval is so small , lets forget it

My basic calculations say less than a 5 meter, This cant be right , can it?
    Im missing something

360676.png

disclosure, been too long since ive done maths , i know im doing soothing wrong

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm not sure if I'm reading your diagram correctly but is the approaching car directly behind the speed van? That would lead to a certain crash :eek:

The van is parked on the side of the road. I would have pictured it like this:

b2abf0712ab1bc85acd9570c3481ee26.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PurpleElephant

Hi everyone, just wanted to share some helpful resources I've found.
    (Sorry, apparently I'm not allowed to post links because I'm a new user)

Brendan Williamson is making lectures and worksheets for applied maths, (he only has 4 topics done now but is aiming to get them all done eventually).
    Just search 'Brendan Williamson applied maths' on youtube or google to find his youtube channnel or website

khanacademy.org is also really useful for any maths that you're struggling with.

Good luck to everyone learning applied maths this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 kittychan

hi
    I am going to do applied maths as my 8th subject, I plan on teaching myself. But I have a question which chapters belong to which topic. I mean we have 10 questions in the exam so which chapters belong to which question in Oliver Murphy's book? ( the book has 14 chapters)

Advertisement