Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

Hey just starting the course, has anyone a complete set of notes they can email to me and I will pay you for them?

cheers

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheRealGuy

Anyone have solutions to the 2nd edition textbook. My teacher is not great at explaining the answers so it could be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Just a bump for this thread, if anybody wanted full worked out solutions , give us a pm there

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aerodynamix

Looking for advice from some of you doing applied maths in the LC this year -

My son is doing AM outside school hours, they have fully completed 7 of the topics/questions and are currently doing an 8th. He advises me that in the exam you will always be guaranteed to get one question on each topic and as you have to answer 6, knowing 7 properly is more than sufficient and he is wasting time doing an 8th one when his time is badly required on all his other subjects. According to him, most people only study 7 of them as the exam is so predictable.

While I completely agree he needs to spend a lot more time on the other subjects, AM is one area he is quite good in and we are expecting him to get a high result in it, and I'm afraid that if he doesn't cover the course it could be an issue on exam day.

What are your views?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 justme126712

Looking for advice from some of you doing applied maths in the LC this year -

My son is doing AM outside school hours, they have fully completed 7 of the topics/questions and are currently doing an 8th. He advises me that in the exam you will always be guaranteed to get one question on each topic and as you have to answer 6, knowing 7 properly is more than sufficient and he is wasting time doing an 8th one when his time is badly required on all his other subjects. According to him, most people only study 7 of them as the exam is so predictable.

While I completely agree he needs to spend a lot more time on the other subjects, AM is one area he is quite good in and we are expecting him to get a high result in it, and I'm afraid that if he doesn't cover the course it could be an issue on exam day.

What are your views?

Hi your son is correct, having seven questions well prepared is more than enough. My school doesn't offer AM so I'm doing it outside as well. I've only covered 7 questions with my teacher (who is very good, writes mocks/exams, has a lot of experience correcting etc.) and his advice is to pick my six favourite and prepare them really well. The only reason we even covered seven was just to give me a choice really. Your son will be grand by the sounds of it😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Your son will definitely be okay. Most teachers cover 7/8 because students tend to have particular likes and dislikes. In the exam itself it's advisable just to do 6 and not to attempt an extra one (because of time constraints). Personally I'll have 6 (hopefully) mastered before I go in, with 1 more as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

I've only covered 6 and I'm hoping that I'll be fine so I would imagine that 7 should be more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

My applied maths teacher covered all topics with me but l studied 7 rigourously and glanced over the others. I think your son will be fine as long as he focuses on the questions that he likes as well as time management. I did the 2016 exam and I didn't have enough time to finish it due to my poor time management but I still came out with a B. So 7 topics won't really hold him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

Hey lads, an Applied Maths noob here :o (I only took it up a few days ago, for next year), but came across a problem in Oliver Murphy's book, and just want to make sure I've done it right.In Q10 pg 17, when solving for k, I worked out that the j for a + b =10Sin80, and the i to be 0.4517, from which you minus 10Cos80 and end up with -1.28. I somehow don't think this is right though, and want someone to point me in the right direction?? :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Hey lads, an Applied Maths noob here :o (I only took it up a few days ago, for next year), but came across a problem in Oliver Murphy's book, and just want to make sure I've done it right.In Q10 pg 17, when solving for k, I worked out that the j for a + b =10Sin80, and the i to be 0.4517, from which you minus 10Cos80 and end up with -1.28. I somehow don't think this is right though, and want someone to point me in the right direction?? :p

Could you put up the question?

• Advertisement

Here ya go :)
    2017-06-06.png

As requested
    419233.png

Sound, I actually had all the theory and layout right, I just forgot to convert 21.8 to 21' 48,:o haha thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12 akl98

Hi does anyone know if I dont show up for the exam will it appear on my cert as an NG or not appear at all?

akl98 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if I dont show up for the exam will it appear on my cert as an NG or not appear at all?
    ng

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm pretty sure if you don't sit an exam (and there is no projects/orals) , it won't appear in your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

It won't appear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Username_2017

Does anyone know why 2016 q5 (a) uses kinetic energy instead of rotational energy in the conservation of energy formula?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ciarfah

Does anyone know why 2016 q5 (a) uses kinetic energy instead of rotational energy in the conservation of energy formula?
    Rotational is just for things like rolling discs or pulleys through their centre of mass as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HeathenSkeptic

Is AM as hard as everyone says it is? I find it rather interesting from what I've done and I hate physics as a laboratory science but I love maths. I've competed in the AM competition and my team and I came second to the team that went on to win the all Irelands (still raging btw), but I'm worried that the workload may be unmanageable. Is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

Is AM as hard as everyone says it is? I find it rather interesting from what I've done and I hate physics as a laboratory science but I love maths. I've competed in the AM competition and my team and I came second to the team that went on to win the all Irelands (still raging btw), but I'm worried that the workload may be unmanageable. Is it?

Nah it's good, if you like maths it's great. Wouldn't recommend unless you have some interest in physics though, it's based on the same principles. Workload is very manageable and it improves your maths ability, it's worth doing.

jogd1234 wrote: »
    Nah it's good, if you like maths it's great. Wouldn't recommend unless you have some interest in physics though, it's based on the same principles. Workload is very manageable and it improves your maths ability, it's worth doing.

Oh I don't hate physics per se but I do find the Bio and Chem more interesting. AM has stuff like energy, force, work, power, pressure etc. etc. right? Those are completely sound but once you start talking about electricity, light and sound, I just doze off xD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

Oh I don't hate physics per se but I do find the Bio and Chem more interesting. AM has stuff like energy, force, work, power, pressure etc. etc. right? Those are completely sound but once you start talking about electricity, light and sound, I just doze off xD

The only overlap between Applied Maths with Physics is in mechanics. There isn't anything to do with electricity, heat, light and sound etc.

VG31 wrote: »
    The only overlap between Applied Maths with Physics is in mechanics. There isn't anything to do with electricity, heat, light and sound etc.

Thank god xD

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

You don't have to do physics to do AM but AM certainly compliments Physics. Like jogd1234 said above, the work is manageable. Maths would help you more than Physics would. There isn't really that much theory, just pieces of information to help you further understand the topics so you may not have to worry about dosing off there

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lucy Peden

Does anyone know any good resources which can help me understand wedges in the chapter 'Newton's Laws' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Lucy Peden wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good resources which can help me understand wedges in the chapter 'Newton's Laws' ?

Hey Lucy, have a look here. Lots of Applied Maths videos and a couple on Wedges

https://www.youtube.com/user/LeavingCertMaths

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lucy Peden

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Hey Lucy, have a look here. Lots of Applied Maths videos and a couple on Wedges

Great I'll have a look now Thank you! :)

Have solutions if you want them for the book

• Advertisement

Well lads, this question appeared on our mocks, and it seemed to cause a bit of confusion. snip
    Assuming I did it right:
    s=ut + 1/2(at^2) ---- 240 = 16t --- t = 15
    s=ut + 1/2(at^2) ---- 270 = (19)(15) + 1/2(225a)
    Essentially a is a minus answer, and surely this can't be right.Someone care to show me the error of my ways?

Mocks stuff in Mocks thread only please

Advertisement