Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

I did 1,2,3,4,5,10

Oh yeah like I read part b of question 2 completely wrong. Misinterpreted it so badly I don’t even think I got any marks for it
    Questions 10 and 3 were nice enough though

Don't remember any of the answers you got by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thr000w

I don't think anyone else thought it was. Difficult question 2, horrible 10 b) is enough to send my H1 down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭japester

Thr000w wrote: »
    I don't think anyone else thought it was. Difficult question 2, horrible 10 b) is enough to send my H1 down the drain.

I'm working my way through the paper at the moment, just Q9 and Q10 to complete now. I'll post up my answers as soon as I have them completed for anyone who may be interesed, but this fine weather, apart from my aging brain, is slowing me down bigtime :) My overall impression of the paper is that it wasn't the worst I've seen by any means.

Certainly do not despair about possibly losing your H1 since I'm sure the marking scheme sometimes gets altered, especially if a significant percentage of students have difficulty with a particular part of a question etc. Remember the percentage of H1s is typically one of the highest for the Applied Maths subject and I can't see a major decline this year either - this is mainly a consequence of some of the best and brightest taking on the challenge of the subject and the marking scheme is usually fairly generous also if you have a look at them online - you'll certainly get attempt marks for anything that is leading to the correct solution and often many of the marks are weighted towards just coming up with the correct equations of motion involved etc

If anyone wants to torture themselves, someone’s done out the solutions here http://appliedmathematics.ie/index.php/students/exam-solutions
    Can’t speak to their accuracy though. A bit disappointed with 9 if his solution’s correct because I was almost sure I’d got it right

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭japester

lundrum wrote: »
    If anyone wants to torture themselves, someone’s done out the solutions here http://appliedmathematics.ie/index.php/students/exam-solutions
    Can’t speak to their accuracy though. A bit disappointed with 9 if his solution’s correct because I was almost sure I’d got it right

Hi lundrum, I've been working through the paper also and I've got the first 9 questions completed now. I just took a look at Dominick's solutions for Q9 and I can verify that I got the exact same answers as him for (a) and (b). But do not worry as you could have made a very minor slip and, as we all know, a minor slip in an Applied Maths question can have a "snowball" effect :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 doctorXwho

How did people do?
    I missed out on my H1 but got a H2 which I’m happy enough with because I thought the exam didn’t go my way at all on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

doctorXwho wrote:
    How did people do? I missed out on my H1 but got a H2 which I’m happy enough with because I thought the exam didn’t go my way at all on the day

I got a H1

I somehow got a H1 despite knowing for a fact that I got at most 2 questions fully right. All hail the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

A H3, which given I've only been doing it one year was enough for me :o (even if it did mean I couldn't even count it). Kicking myself for not taking it at the start of 5th year:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ae86VroomVroom

Got the H1 also but I thought the exam was fair from the start. I hope you are all happy with your results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 doctorXwho

Well done guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Alright whos up for taking applied math this year? I'm self teaching in only one year so god help me.

Ah well im up for the challenge :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

sirboby wrote: »
    Alright whos up for taking applied math this year? I'm self teaching in only one year so god help me.

Ah well im up for the challenge :)

Lots of people have done that. It's definitely possible. Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jacobc

Hi, I'm looking for solutions to the applied mathematics, I just started 5th year and I'm stuck on Chapter 2 questions mainly at the moment, particularly 2E.
    Thanks,
    a struggling 5th year.

Advertisement