Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Does anyone know where they got the third last line on the 2003 3(b) marking scheme?

Can't figure it out.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sullanefc

Factor out (u^2)/(gcos^2(B)) from both terms. You must multiply the first term above and below the line by cosB first so that you have a cos^2(B) underneath.

A very tricky finish to a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

sullanefc wrote: »
    Factor out (u^2)/(gcos^2(B)) from both terms. You must multiply the first term above and below the line by cosB first so that you have a cos^2(B) underneath.

A very tricky finish to a question.

Cheers. No marks for it either, I realised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Aspiring wrote: »
    Lads where else could our teacher be getting the questions from other than the book or the papers. The ones she give us we barely ever can do and we panic but then we see the papers and they aren't that bad at all?
    The third book that one person was referring to was the book by Domminick Donnelly but I doubt that's where these hard questions are coming from, dibt get me wrong there are some incredibly hard ones but they're in the.minority. Our teacher talks about books (quite old ones) that are from the UK that he uses for.reference or for new question styles, that could be be where your teacher is.getting it, really I wouldn't worry too much, if your teacher is giving you hard ones at lest then the real exam ones will be a comparative walk in the park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Some of the stuff at the end of chapters in the DD book is a nightmare, harder than anything that will ever come up in an exam. My teacher is particularly fond of a 2nd yr Uni book from the uk for difficult questions (grey cover, can't remember the title), every time we thought we knew what we were doing she would gives one of them for the weekend.

She was a great teacher, a little twisted but great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The third book that one person was referring to was the book by Domminick Donnelly but I doubt that's where these hard questions are coming from, dibt get me wrong there are some incredibly hard ones but they're in the.minority. Our teacher talks about books (quite old ones) that are from the UK that he uses for.reference or for new question styles, that could be be where your teacher is.getting it, really I wouldn't worry too much, if your teacher is giving you hard ones at lest then the real exam ones will be a comparative walk in the park!

There was also a book by one Alan J.K. McGloughlin published 1976. Could be from that or from other syllabuses like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Has anybody done wedges yet? Im finding them almost impossible.I got the first few but after like Q4 in my book none of them work out for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

Yeah, I hate wedges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Has anybody done wedges yet? Im finding them almost impossible.I got the first few but after like Q4 in my book none of them work out for me.

Are you teaching yourself?

I tried doing them myself before we did it in class and couldn't work any of them out.

After we did them in class though i got on fine. I'd say its just a matter of getting your head around it

Check out the engineering Ireland page on applied maths, I think one of the videos is on wedges.

• Advertisement

Where can i get past papers going back before 2000?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Undeadfred wrote: »

I think examinations.ie has papers all the back to '95

The physics teacher has papers back to 70 something with a lot of solutions.

Are you teaching yourself?

I tried doing them myself before we did it in class and couldn't work any of them out.

After we did them in class though i got on fine. I'd say its just a matter of getting your head around it

Ya Im doing it myself. Everything up until this point I can pretty much work out by trial and error but I've been stuck on the same question for days so im starting to grow impatient.
    I might just move on and maybe try it some other time.
    decisions wrote: »
    Check out the engineering Ireland page on applied maths, I think one of the videos is on wedges.

I looked around there website but couldn't find any videos.Do you need to register?

decisions wrote: »

Thanks I was looking at a completely different website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

WoolyAbyss wrote: »

Try these:
    http://www.studentxpress.ie/Applied%20Maths/Forceanim5.pdf
    http://www.studentxpress.ie/Applied%20Maths/Forceanim6.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

lostatsea wrote: »

You are quite the legend. One of the things I find hard in applied maths this helps a lot. Any solutions for when theres an object on top of the wedge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

You are quite the legend. One of the things I find hard in applied maths this helps a lot. Any solutions for when theres an object on top of the wedge?

I don't understand. Explain further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 jmillz

http://thephysicsteacher.ie/ has solutions to most of the exam questions back until 1970 and also has the papers :) I'd recommend if you're practicing a wedge practise the double wedge it'll really get you forces right for other questions! also i'd practise a peg question where the something moves with linear motion and then the string becomes taught

If you write two answers to a question, should you give an indication as to which one is right and which is wrong or should you just leave it with no indication as to which may be the right answers?

A lot of the time when I'm unsure about a question i do it twice but I'm afraid to cross out one or say that one is right in case its wrong and i get marked down for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

If you write two answers to a question, should you give an indication as to which one is right and which is wrong or should you just leave it with no indication as to which may be the right answers?

A lot of the time when I'm unsure about a question i do it twice but I'm afraid to cross out one or say that one is right in case its wrong and i get marked down for it

they'll mark both and you'll get the marks from the most correct one dont worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nl90

This exam will be " TO BE OR NOT TO BE" feel really exhausted after the chem/:

lostatsea wrote: »
    I don't understand. Explain further.

Like this:

connected-017.gif

I missed two or three weeks of school when we were doing these so I'm pretty lost. I've found a YouTube video about it hoping to get it sorted this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Like this:

connected-017.gif

I missed two or three weeks of school when we were doing these so I'm pretty lost. I've found a YouTube video about it hoping to get it sorted this week.
    Is the wedge moving aswell ?
    If it is then its a diff question . You would need to calculate parallel and perpendicular forces .
    If its not then just figure mgcosa and mgsina . Use f = ma to solve taking tension and friction into account .

Is this what you mean or do you mean relative acceleration to the wedge ?

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Is the wedge moving aswell ?
    If it is then its a diff question . You would need to calculate parallel and perpendicular forces .
    If its not then just figure mgcosa and mgsina . Use f = ma to solve taking tension and friction into account .

Is this what you mean or do you mean relative acceleration to the wedge ?

Both moving yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 7Vecrophiliac

CBS kilkenny moodle for applied maths blocked for guests b4 the night of the exam................. Tasty stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Had a 3 and a half hour Applied Maths class today, my teacher has managed to successfully make me nervous for the first exam since about Irish Paper 2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

How did people think it went for them

Godod few lead in questions I felt
    Went well overall

Advertisement