Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Now I have a decision to make then.

2-3 hours a day, 7 days left, no LC trig. Projectiles or Collisions..

As far as I remember, and am open to correction on this, there is really only one formula you need for impacts and collisions that involves trig, and that for the angle a particle may be deflected through. Its mentioned in Oliver Murphy's old book (brown cover) so I assume its mentioned in his new one also, its really not that bad!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Collisions it is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

I've done the first 5 questions and now I'm not sure which one to do next. I wan't to get seven done I'm going to do the question on differential equations when I'm back in school because we didn't do integration yet and I'd prefer to learn it in school then by myself.So that leaves questions 6-9. Any ideas on which one I should choose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    I've done the first 5 questions and now I'm not sure which one to do next. I wan't to get seven done I'm going to do the question on differential equations when I'm back in school because we didn't do integration yet and I'd prefer to learn it in school then by myself.So that leaves questions 6-9. Any ideas on which one I should choose?
    Question 9 is a good question to have not that hard of a question, pretty much thought myself it. It was probably one of my better answered question, as two didn't go great ... I think

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wow30303

does anyone know how to get their hands on Dominick Donnelly's email or something to get the book? will be grateful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

wow30303 wrote: »
    does anyone know how to get their hands on Dominick Donnelly's email or something to get the book? will be grateful

My teacher has sent many emails and contacted him on a few occasions and he has not even had the manners to reply, even with a simple "They are not being published anymore".

It's a shame because it is a brilliant book and I consider myself very lucky to have a copy of it.

do u still happen to be using it? would be grateful, if u aren't using it, if u can send it to me, would be willing to pay postage and all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

do u still happen to be using it? would be grateful, if u aren't using it, if u can send it to me, would be willing to pay postage and all

I'd love to help you but I've just started 6th Year :o

anyone know or have a copy of Dominick Donnelly app maths lc textbook and be willing to post it? would be grateful and would pay postage and all

cathalio11, do u know anyone else with it who isn't using it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Does anyone here know how the attempt marks work? I was viewing my script last night and i didn't get nearly as many attempt marks as i thought i would.

I thought that for every 5 marks you could get in a question, they would give you 2 if you had a go at it. They didn't do this in my paper though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Does anyone here know how the attempt marks work? I was viewing my script last night and i didn't get nearly as many attempt marks as i thought i would.

I thought that for every 5 marks you could get in a question, they would give you 2 if you had a go at it. They didn't do this in my paper though
    it has to be a reasonable and logical attempt it cant be anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I have a copy of that book, it's brilliant and there is no way I'm parting with it for a couple of years.

decisions, do u only have one copy of the book? if u have more would u able to send me one, would pay postage and all :)

decisions, do u only have one copy of the book? if u have more would u able to send me one, would pay postage and all :)

I might be able to get my hands on another one.

if u do could u please send it to me, my email is [email]<email snipped>[/email], please confirm if u can get ur hands on another one :) would be grateful

Does the book really matter that much?

I had Oliver Murphys book and just found the book was there as a reference point and getting you started, like drawing force diagrams for Q4 and Q8, but really the exam papers are key to it all. Practice them and you will have no problems.

thanks for the advice ompala, so how do I get a base building block for starting app maths? do I start by looking at the examples and solutions in murphy's book and then attempt more questions? would be grateful on any advice in how to tackle app maths :)

thanks for the advice ompala, so how do I get a base building block for starting app maths? do I start by looking at the examples and solutions in murphy's book and then attempt more questions? would be grateful on any advice in how to tackle app maths :)

Do you have Murphy's book now?

Get a book, use the PTSD stuff I gave you, read the examples and just do the questions.

thanks nimrod7, is the PTSD stuff the teachers CD stuff u sent me or the other stuff?

• Advertisement

thanks nimrod7, is the PTSD stuff the teachers CD stuff u sent me or the other stuff?

The CD, the one that has the file 'autorun.exe'.

It has the basics of every chapter, use that if you want, then read the book, read the examples, do the questions and use the solutions if you're really stuck.

Work through the examples, every one of them cos each one builds from the previous, and when finished the chapter attempt the exam Qs.

Do not be put off if you get things wrong. Be prepared to fail and fail again before things start to go right. Might be off putting but look, you WILL be better for the experience. It WILL stand to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

if u do could u please send it to me, my email is [email]<email snipped>[/email], please confirm if u can get ur hands on another one :) would be grateful
    Hi wow30303,

welcome to Boards!

Please note that this is a "no textspeak" zone.

Also please do not post your email in open chat, use PM.

Thanks,

R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Hi wow30303,

welcome to Boards!

Please note that this is a "no textspeak" zone.

Also please do not post your email in open chat, use PM.

Thanks,

R.

Signing yourself off with 'R.' is so cool. Its like you're Q from James Bond or A from Naruto

Lol! :D

Did anyone get grinds in the Institute in 6th year?
    Undeadfred wrote: »
    Signing yourself off with 'R.' is so cool. Its like you're Q from James Bond or A from Naruto

Haha g'wan R. :pac:

I didn't, but I know someone who did. I'll ask her what she thought of it and Ill get back to you.

How's is going?

decisions wrote: »
    I didn't, but I know someone who did. I'll ask her what she thought of it and Ill get back to you.

How's is going?

Thanks

It's not going too well :o

Have Acceleration and Pulleys & Wedges done. Then I did chapter 6 but I never got to start Collisions. I'll have to do that over the weekends and hopefully get it finished before October then do one chapter a month.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Link tries and tries but never quite uploads! :p

• Advertisement

I didn't want to embed a cat meme in the Applied Maths thread :pac:

Advertisement