Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Consider People From Northern Ireland Foreigners?

• 22-04-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

People from France, Germany, Spain etc are obviously foreign to us. Despite all our similarities so are people from England, Scotland and Wales.

Leaving aside the politics what say you about people from Northern Ireland? Foreign or no?

Do You Consider People From Northern Ireland Foreigners? 179 votes

Foreign
    0% 0 votes
    Not
    27% 50 votes
    Atari Fordener
    72% 129 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

what a stupid thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Can I just get my popcorn and favourite seat arranged before we start ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

And the award for the most stupid post of the year goes to........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Only awec.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

No, Just British

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

How can an irish man be foreign?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Well when I drive 10 mins to Strabane in Tyrone, I think to myself who are these creatures with their weird accents and unapologetic pride in being Irish, bloody foreigners:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mattjack wrote: »
    Can I just get my popcorn and favourite seat arranged before we start ?

Yes and may I join you and to answer OP no :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

not people from NI but defintely people from Mayo. Feckin savages...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

foreign no, strange and miserable, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Yes.

Then again, everybody in the entire world other than myself is a foreigner to me, as I'm the only citizen of the sovereign state I declared in my bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Of course, but only if they are foreign.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't see myself as foreign. :)

Superior, yes. :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Well when I drive 10 mins to Strabane in Tyrone, I think to myself who are these creatures with their weird accents and unapologetic pride in being Irish, bloody foreigners:rolleyes:

You could just as well be Spanish living ten minutes from the Spanish / French border. Once you cross that border you are in a different, foreign country. True?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

awec wrote: »
    You're defo from another planet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

terrorists..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Hmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Nozebleed wrote: »
    terrorists..
    Or freedom fighters

• Advertisement

votecounts wrote: »
    no

Thank you for voting.

Your votecounts. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    People from France, Germany, Spain etc are obviously foreign to us. Despite all our similarities so are people from England, Scotland and Wales.

Leaving aside the politics what say you about people from Northern Ireland? Foreign or no?

Are you being serious?

Seriously?

Surely you cannot be?

Surely?

If you are, well yes, people from other countries are foreign, and Northern Ireland is in part of another country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Would you be up in arms if this questions was posted about you as a freestater?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dublin80

No, they are Irish cos they were born on Ireland soil, just the northern region:p

Definitely not, but I wouldn't describe anyone from Britain as being foreign either. Dunno why, but I don't.

dirtyden wrote: »
    If you are, well yes, people from other countries are foreign, and Northern Ireland is in part of another country.

Technically that would be correct, however 80+ of posters so far seem to think differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I see some of them as friends,

perhaps I misunderstood the question

Definitely not, but I wouldn't describe anyone from Britain as being foreign either. Dunno why, but I don't.

Well that's great I would , But the question is would you describe a person from in northern Ireland as a foreigner and as NI is not part of britain :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You could just as well be Spanish living ten minutes from the Spanish / French border. Once you cross that border you are in a different, foreign country. True?

That is not what your question is asking though, i am fully aware I enter a different state when I cross the border but many of the people who inhabit said 6 counties are culturally and genetically Irish and I see no difference btween me and a derry man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I generally consider them to be Nordies.

Technically that would be correct, however 80+ of posters so far seem to think differently.

This is where it gets good :):D

But to be fair they are! Same as Walloon Belge and French people who are obviously from different countries but have the same language and customs. You daren't call a Belgian French and vice versa.

That is not what the OP is asking, i am fully aware I enter a different state when I cross the border but many of the people who inhabit said 6 counties are culturally and genetically Irish and I see no difference btween me and a derry man.

That is the OP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Very foreign, we have far less in common with them than people would like to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I would say yes. I always consider the people in the Republic foreigners. Although I do have to say I do sympathise with the people in Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan.

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »
    Well that's great I wouldn't either, But the question is would you describe a person from in northern Ireland as a foreigner and as NI is not part of britain :p;)

Re-read what you quoted ;)
    But to be fair they are! Same as Walloon Belge and French people who are obviously from different countries but have the same language and customs. You daren't call a Belgian French and vice versa.

Ah, but the question wasn't what is technically correct, it was "do you consider", and I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

sittyeashunlanders:D

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Although I do have to say I do sympathise with the people in Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan.

Finally I can agree with you on something Keith!:D

Re-read what you quoted ;)

:o:o I changed it ;):o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Corse they're bleedin' foreigners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I consider people that live ten miles down the road to be foreigners, murderers and heroin addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

No, I don't think of Northern Irish people as being 'foreign'. But I don't regard people from other parts of the UK as being particularly foreign either.

That is not what your question is asking though, i am fully aware I enter a different state when I cross the border but many of the people who inhabit said 6 counties are culturally and genetically Irish and I see no difference btween me and a derry man.

It is really, as you say when you cross the border you are in another (foreign) state therefore the inhabitants of that state are foreign - no?
    Ah, but the question wasn't what is technically correct, it was "do you consider", and I don't.

See above, but as you say it can be a matter of opinion as opposed to a technicality. In my opinion they are foreign because they are from a different state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

Foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sure you're all savages outside Dublin.. some are sexy savages but savages nonetheless

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kiera wrote: »
    awec wrote: »
    You're defo from another planet :p
    :cool:

I have noticed a lot of jealousness toward my nordyness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I judge people by how much money they have, not where they come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

It is really, as you say when you cross the border you are in another (foreign) state therefore the inhabitants of that state are foreign - no?

So to follow that logic, Tibetans should consider themselves Chinese, as they don't have to cross a border into China? Think John Doe1 is deliberately making a distinction between 'nation' & 'state'.

Feathers wrote: »
    So to follow that logic, Tibetans should consider themselves Chinese, as they don't have to cross a border into China? Think John Doe1 is deliberately making a distinction between 'nation' & 'state'.

That would be more like the Spanish / Basque thing. NI is officially recognised as a different state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

No way. They are Irish like the rest of us

• Advertisement
Advertisement