Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do You Consider People From Northern Ireland Foreigners?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

john why wrote: »
    How can an irish man be foreign?

Well, most of the people of Northern Ireland wouldn't class themselves as Irish.

I assumed that people would view the British peoples of Northern Ireland as foreign - despite their being many cultural similarities we have a different passport and a different allegiance. We fit every single criteria necessary to being foreign, likewise do those in the Republic fit the criteria to being foreign from us! Nothing wrong with that though, being foreign doesn't mean you can't closely identify with others on many issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Northern Irish people are not foreigners, but as time goes on I find I have more in common with Scottish people and English people from the north of England. Take someone from A farming background in Yorkshire and someone from the same background in Cork or Tipperary and there's not that much difference in values and outlooks in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

No. Nor the English, Scots, or Welsh. Wogs begin at Calais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Simple, No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Almaviva wrote: »

:confused: You have me hear :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

No

But the dubs now thats a different story :) (just kidding!!)

No way. They are Irish like the rest of us

Well we are as Irish as you maybe, Mr Cascarino ;)

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bwatson wrote: »
    Well, most of the people of Northern Ireland wouldn't class themselves as Irish.

I assumed that people would view the British peoples of Northern Ireland as foreign - despite their being many cultural similarities we have a different passport and a different allegiance. We fit every single criteria necessary to being foreign, likewise do those in the Republic fit the criteria to being foreign from us! Nothing wrong with that though, being foreign doesn't mean you can't closely identify with others on many issues.
    I never viewed people from the ROI as foreign. Technically they were but very few people would actually view them that way.

I think the idea that someone who was born 15 minutes down the road could be foreign was just strange for people to relate to. Two tiny countries on 1 tiny island.

That and the way many families have relatives on both sides of the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

we only have 3 years left to invent flying cars, or back to the future is a crock of siht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Almaviva wrote: »
    Mod note:

User banned for this comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Foreign to me is more a cultural thing as opposed to geographic. I wouldnt class the Brits as foreign. (The real ones, or the pretend ones in NI) Or the Americans really. We have very similar cultures. Foreign is eating dogs balls in Bangkok.

awec wrote: »
    I never viewed people from the ROI as foreign. Technically they were but very few people would actually view them that way.

I think the idea that someone who was born 15 minutes down the road could be foreign was just strange for people to relate to. Two tiny countries on 1 tiny island.

I certainly understand the argument - but have never equated someone being foreign to them being inherently alien or different. I think this view has been reaffirmed by going to university on the mainland with people from all over Britain, Europe and North America, where I have come to understand that there are so many factors which we relate to or sympathize with before the nationality written on our passports.

However after saying that, the fact remains that everything that makes an American, a Frenchman or a German a foreigner also makes an Irish person a foreigner.

I say that as someone who has relatives living in the United States and siblings who have worked and lived on the continent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

if someone living in armagh or newry tells me they are irish , who am i to contradict them , same deal with those who identify as british

new dispensation and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

What a retarded thread.:confused:

OP needs a clip around the lugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Well I dunno OP, maybe you just need to get the f*ck out of your bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

No, certainly not. By and large they're a Gaelic people, who speak the same language and have a very, very similar culture in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Mod note:

User banned for this comment.

Tits or face?

Northern Irish people are not foreigners, but as time goes on I find I have more in common with Scottish people and English people from the north of England. Take someone from A farming background in Yorkshire and someone from the same background in Cork or Tipperary and there's not that much difference in values and outlooks in life.

that suggest scottish people and people from the north of england are particulary similar , ive never found that at all

If your born on the Island of Ireland your Irish, doesent matter what you wish to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I never hear anyone refer to people as 'foreigners' anymore, not in years in fact. Its a word used only by people who haven't travelled or experienced life outside their own area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I consider anyone from outside Cork a foreigner, boy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

It depends. Some hold British passsports and they are foreign. Some hold Irish passports and they are Irish. It's a unique situation where an individual gets to choose their nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

I have to admit I do

quickbeam wrote: »
    It depends. Some hold British passsports and they are foreign. Some hold Irish passports and they are Irish. It's a unique situation where an individual gets to choose their nationality.

And a lot have both passports ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I would consider them Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

How many people who don't consider people from the north foreigners, do so because they don't consider people from Britain/Scotland/Wales foreigners?

How many people who don't consider people from the north foreigners, do so because they don't consider people from Britain/Scotland/Wales foreigners?

I would personally believe people from England/Scotland & Wales to be foreigners,I belive that people born on the Island of Ireland are Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I don't consider them foreign. You never hear of someone 'emigrating' to NI from the Republic or vice-versa.

the definitive answer

case closed

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not true.

My passport says I'm British, but I'm still irish like.

In the same way a scottish person's passport says they're a brit, but they're still scottish.

You don't have to be one or the other, certainly not the irish in the "born on the island of ireland" sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Really? Do you have a source for this or is that simply your opinion?
    We fit every single criteria necessary to being foreign, likewise do those in the Republic fit the criteria to being foreign from us! Nothing wrong with that though, being foreign doesn't mean you can't closely identify with others on many issues.

We = anti-Irish Unionists.

Please make that distinction when you talk about the people who live in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yes, in the same way that Spanish people don't consider themselves Portugese. Or Palestinian don't consider themselves Israeli.

TL;DR: They're from another country, i.e the UK, therefore they're foreign.

Confab wrote: »
    Yes, in the same way that Spanish people don't consider themselves Portugese. Or Palestinian don't consider themselves Israeli.

TL;DR: They're from another country, i.e the UK, therefore they're foreign.

It's not that black and white. The Irish constitution guarantees the rights of people from NI to be part of the Irish nation. Therefore they are not foreign if they don't wish to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

+1. Nothing wrong with it though. Just a people who are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

The word "foreigner" is ugly and always reminds me of Enid Blyton. It doesn't really say very much, but implies a whole lot of negatives. People who live in different jurisdictions, speak different languages, look different, have different values ... when people say "foreign" they usually imply some or all of these, though it's not necessarily clear which ones. Better if people avoid the word altogether and specify what it is they want to talk about directly, ie. citizenship, language, race etc.

Debating over whether people are Irish or not in the touchy-feely sense of some vague, undefinable sense of "Irishness" is at best a waste of time, and potentially quite morally dubious, since you are setting yourself up as some kind of arbiter over who belongs and who doesn't.

Not true.

My passport says I'm British, but I'm still irish like.

In the same way a scottish person's passport says they're a brit, but they're still scottish.

You don't have to be one or the other, certainly not the irish in the "born on the island of ireland" sense.

most scottish people consider themselves british so its hardly a fair or accurate comparison

I don't see why that would make any difference. A person in the Republic is a foreigner to me. You will find this all over the world in America and Africa and so on.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I don't see why that would make any difference. A person in the Republic is a foreigner to me

You should head down south sometime. You will find people there aren't as different from you as you might think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

No. I wouldnt really even consider English/Scottish/Welsh people to be foreign. I dont know why but thats just the way I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

yes, they use £. even the people who use the same currency* as us are foreigners so norn iron has no chance
    *the eurozone!

Really? Do you have a source for this or is that simply your opinion?

We = anti-Irish Unionists.

Please make that distinction when you talk about the people who live in the north.

There is a difference between being anti-Irish and non-Irish. You are an intelligent poster. You know very well what the difference is.

I do not see myself as Spanish, I presume using your logic I could be described as anti-Spanish as a result? Its a bizarre and atypical post in truth.

I'm not anti-Irish, I enjoy posting on this board and have great respect for many of the posters (including yourself) however I simply don't identify as being Irish. Your equating me being British rather than Irish to being an expression of xenophobia is very much wide of the mark. I don't begrudge anyone from Northern Ireland the right to acquire an Irish passport, fly the tricolour and call themselves Irish, I just won't be joining them any time soon.

You should head down south sometime. You will find people there aren't as different from you as you might think.
    They are different though in many aspects.

There is a difference between being anti-Irish and non-Irish. You are an intelligent poster. You know very well what the difference is.

I do not see myself as Spanish, I presume using your logic I could be described as anti-Spanish as a result? Its a bizarre and atypical post in truth.

I'm not anti-Irish, I enjoy posting on this board and have great respect for many of the posters (including yourself) however I simply don't identify as being Irish. Your equating me being British rather than Irish to being an expression of xenophobia is very much wide of the mark. I don't begrudge anyone from Northern Ireland the right to acquire an Irish passport, fly the tricolour and call themselves Irish, I just won't be joining them any time soon.

cant ask for more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane Gillespie

how stupid are you?
    They are IRISH, sure its in the feckin name, northern IRELAND!!!
    its not their fault the Brits decided to refuse it back to Ireland in 1921, my father is from the north and he considers himself Irish more than I do myself, and I'm from the south!
    well then, rant over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

if they have the same passport as me then no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Okay. My bad.

Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I've been up to a part of Belfast covered in union flags it felt pretty foreign to me. But then places like Derry city feel very Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Considering how much he posts on an Irish boards I would assume he is not as anti-Irish as his posts make him sound. If he was so into the union why would he spend so much time posting on boards.ie

People from Northern Ireland are pretty much Irish and there is some pretend brits up there. I find alot of them go way to much over the top with the Irish or British thing its fair annoying. If you go through Clough all the British flags and curbs painted is ridiculous you would get nothing like that in England they are just over compensating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

how stupid are you?
    They are IRISH, sure its in the feckin name, northern IRELAND!!!
    its not their fault the Brits decided to refuse it back to Ireland in 1921, my father is from the north and he considers himself Irish more than I do myself, and I'm from the south!
    well then, rant over :)

Good man . Relax now that you got that out of your system .

P s of course they are Irish and we love them for all their faults

• Advertisement
Advertisement