Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is it easier to get a job when you're in a job ??

Options
  • 22-04-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I dont understand what it means when ppl say, its easier to get a job when your in a job.
    I started in new job 3 weeks ago, I HATE it and want out. Im after applying for loads of job, and have had two calls to come for interview during the week, I never get out of work till bout 6 each night. all these companies want to interview you during working hours, so its impossible for me to go for an interview
    the company im in are so strict, its a very pressurised environment and i do have to work most of my lunch cos they are so busy (even though we dont get paid for that hour), i never finish at 5pm which is the time im due to finish, i end up there till 6 or after 6 every evening cos they are so busy.
    I mentioned to the manager that i might have to go to the dentist during the week. He told me that dentist/doctors etc appointments are never to be taking during working hours. If we need to make such appointments we have to go to evening surgery :eek:
    I feel stuck now, how the hell am i meant to get out for an interview. I would leave till i got another job, but id just be afraid in case i didnt get a job straight away and the dole wont pay me if i volunterily left this current role.
    im under stress with this job, i come home every evening in horrible mood. The manager is married to his position and feels everyone else should be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Not an easy one this.

You're just going to have to decide that you want out of the place. Take sick days for interviews, tell them you have a funeral etc, you've no other option.

Decide you're going to put everything into leaving and go for it.

As regards, the point about it being easier to get a job when you're in one this is true, employers view you as a more attractive candidate when you're already employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Getting another job when employed is a damned sight easier than trying to get one when you're unemployed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have always found it very difficult to get a job when you're in a job actually. Trying to answer calls in work and make up excuses to go for interviews is very stressful! Have you thought about what you will say to any prospective new employers OP? Is the current role permanent or contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think it means that it's easier to get a job that you really want when you're currently employed. You can afford to hold out for the role you want, without having to feel like you have to settle for the first offer that comes along so you can pay the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

For me when someone is looking for a job while in employment they are trying to better themselves - it just looks better. Feel sorry for your situation - can you take holidays/half days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Eoin wrote: »
    I think it means that it's easier to get a job that you really want when you're currently employed. You can afford to hold out for the role you want, without having to feel like you have to settle for the first offer that comes along so you can pay the bills.

I agree with above. OP, I think you are misinterpreting what people mean when they say it's easier to get a job when in a job. You are referring to the logistics of being available to turn up at interviews at short notice because you don't have to request permission from supervisors for time off etc which is not what the saying is about.

On top of what Eoin said, I think the saying is referring to is the fact that new employers/interviewers will be more impressed with a candidate who is currently in a job with a proven track record of continuous employment (meaning other employers have/had faith in them) as opposed to someone with lots of gap periods in their CV (ie someone who hasn't worked in 2 years and now wants this job etc). A candidate who is currently working elsewhere has less questions to answer about gap periods, current lack of work etc, is more up to date with skills and technology if seeking alternative employment in the same industry as well as having more bargaining power with terms and conditions of new role.

Advertisement