Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting tax/insured commercially on small van

• 22-04-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I'm a 19 yo male full license and finding it difficult to get on the road with all these new e.u. and rsa regulations on young drivers etc

Is it possible to get taxed and insured on the likes of a peugeot partner, citroen berlingo by registering a business name online for 20 quid or will the tax office/ garda station and insurance companies demand a vat number etc ?

i'll need the van for the summer as i'm thinking of going into property maintenance and for drawing home turf etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yeah, youll manage that. Youll probably find insurance is much cheaper aswell. Also keep in mind that engine size tends to matter f*ck all in the commercial world, so if you fancied getting a jeep / something a bit bigger it probably wouldnt make much odds

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭seano12

so if the tax office/garda/insurance company ask for proof i'm driving commercially i'll just hand them proof of a business name ?

seano12 wrote: »
    so if the tax office/garda/insurance company ask for proof i'm driving commercially i'll just hand them proof of a business name ?

the garda and insurance company wont mind , as most insurance companies insure you for social and domestic on commercial policies. The tax office is the only place that will ask , and that depends from office to office and person at the desk.

the only thing about driving a commercial is
    1) you have to DOE it every year, easier than the NCT but if you dont have a DOE the gards can sieze the vehicle and your insurance wont pay out

2) the gards are able to get you for using a commercial vehicle for private use, although youd want to be taking the piss and find a gard on a bad day for this to happen

3) in most cases you cannot temporarily transfer commercial insurance to private cars and the NCB on commercial isnt accepted by some insurers. It wont really bother you now but if your van breaks down youll have to borrow another commercial , cant just transfer to a normal car.

Do you have to declare commercial insurance at the garda station before going to the tax office?

i'm aware of the doe i'd save the money for it on having an economical diesel

does anyone know of any companies that aren't too fussy and would be wiling to take me on ? i'm gonna try a broker for setanta, asguard and ring up britton

thanks very much for the helpful replies

no, you have to sign a decleration you get from the tax office (you might not be given one, in which case your grand) that says youll only use the vehicle for commercial purposes, nothing to do with insurance.

liberty / formally quinn were good , insuremyvan.ie are pretty good aswell

• Advertisement

if the van i buy still has tax on it from the previous owner will it be the same procedure when renewing the tax ?

seano12 wrote: »
    if the van i buy still has tax on it from the previous owner will it be the same procedure when renewing the tax ?

depends on the office, in my experience though - no

Advertisement