Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter sown Garlic?

Options
  • 22-04-2012 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello

Back in October I went OTT and sowed three varieties of garlic sets. Above ground is going very well.

I am wondering if I could harvest one or two or should I wait until later on? The lower leaves are already yellow and starting to droop.

I also have a rogue potatoe from last growing among them. Should I pull it or leave it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Hello

Back in October I went OTT and sowed three varieties of garlic sets. Above ground is going very well.

I am wondering if I could harvest one or two or should I wait until later on? The lower leaves are already yellow and starting to droop.

I also have a rogue potatoe from last growing among them. Should I pull it or leave it.

would think it's still too early....mine was sown back end of oct and don't expect to harvest until end of June as would be usual...... rather than the yellowing of lower leaves, it will be a browning from the top down that will indicate when it is near ready.

as far as volunteer potatoes growing where they are not supposed to be, some people are happy enough to let them be but in terms of good housekeeping i prefer to pull them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

I would second that. The garlic should only be beginning to swell, so any harvested now are likely to be still very small.

On the stray potato (missed potatoes from last year are called volunteers whehn they regrow like this) I would be inclined to carefully pull it out. Apart from the risk of it carrying blight, it is also competing with the garlic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Heard a lovely term for what you call volunteer spuds, cockoo spuds - pulled a whole bunch earlier in the month when I was turning up the bed for brassicas
    accidental+early+1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Grand if they are small just wondering if they would be ok for eating.

I also have one or two missed onion, could they still be dug out and eaten. I'm not going to let them bolt.

Advertisement