Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a few questions

Options
  • 22-04-2012 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

what are the views of the people who run this site allowing a moderator to tell posters to F---k off and accuse them of "acting like a dick"? here is the comment i reported:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78269869&postcount=582

im a little gobsmacked that This poster is allowed to comment like this in what was a decent thread and get away unchecked. Maby if he is so angry he should step aside from moderating a forum which clearly he is not enjoying?

where are the Cat mods?

Am i wrong to report the post? am i making a big deal out of nothing?

does anybody feel this kinda behavior and language is unwarranted?

how is this type of comment allowed to stand?

lots of questions i know,
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

The mod isn't telling posters to feck off, he's telling them that the actual mentioning of 'Pool via posts can feck off, there is a difference. Additionally saying someone is "acting like a dick" is not calling anyone an actual dick. It's a critique of their behaviour/posting style; which can/should be changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't be a Dick is a site wide shorthand for behavior that is bad-spirited or disruptive but is not explicitly a banning offense. It's to catch people that wind up others just on the borderline of what is allowed.

To be fair, if a mod did crack on one of those threads, (not that Frisbee did as it was clear what she meant), they would have my every sympathy because they're infested with idiots and a hell of a lot of work for volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭ducksmalone

stovelid wrote: »
    Don't be a Dick is a site wide shorthand for behavior that is bad-spirited or disruptive but is not explicitly a banning offense. It's to catch people that wind up others just on the borderline of what is allowed.

To be fair, if a mod did crack on one of those threads, (not that Frisbee did as it was clear what she meant), they would have my every sympathy because they're infested with idiots and a hell of a lot of work for volunteers.
    Frisbee is a she? my apologies is wrongly assuming that is was a bloke.

"Infested with idiots" well,yes i would agree that guys passions do run high and things are said in the heat of the moment which have to be moderated.Id have no issue or problem with that.

But i would have thought and am saying the thread i pulled the comment from was pretty well behaved.
    The language used and the tone of it was unnecessary thats all im saying and again,im surprised,but there you go.
    I know that the 1st poster here and yourself are saying Frisbee wasnt aiming it at posters....... makes it even more unnecessary for that comment in my view.

anyhow lets have a look at what other users think.

thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be forum relevant* D "play the ball not the man" usually covers it hereabouts. Attack the post not the poster. This goes for everyone regardless of title. I've seen mods, cmods and even admins get called on it when they didn't respect this. I've seen DeVore apologise when on the very rare occasion when the blood was up and he's one of the daddies of this place, so could in theory easily get away with it.

Tone is a harder thing to judge. Some users/mods can come across as condescending, or aggressive. I've made mistakes myself on that score. Sometimes my tone was condescending and escalated feelings when it shouldn't have. Mostly it was a cock up on my end and not intended that way, but I admit sometimes the blood was up and I sailed too close to the wind.

If you think anyone is sailing close too the wind D, then report the post. It will get looked at. Yes sometimes there can be a "circle the wagons" vibe going on with mods. Why? Natural human support for your fellows, because you sometimes feel attacked because of the title. That said it's surprisingly rare in my experience(Certainly I've been surprised). For every couple of mods that may say "we're getting it in the neck for no good reason", you'll generally get more suggesting compromise and stepping back. Even within a single forum.

*Not a football fan so go easy on me :o:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

'Don't be a Dick' is pretty much rule #1. The poster wasn't trolling, or abusing anyone.

As for telling people to fuck off with it. You obviously don't use the SF that much. You can't mention United with Liverpool fans trolling the thread. And vice versa. And tbh we've been a soft touch on it for far too long. Being nice and asking people not to do it politely hasn't worked. Nor has treating them like adults capable of being rational. The majority of the forum have called for us to be much stricter in our dealing with issues and on thread warnings etc, which is what I'm doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Frisbee wrote: »
    Being nice and asking people not to do it politely hasn't worked.

Fair enough point.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Nor has treating them like adults capable of being rational. The majority of the forum have called for us to be much stricter in our dealing with issues and on thread warnings etc, which is what I'm doing.

Also fair enough, but with all due respect, I think you are wrong to think that your words were appropriate for someone in your position.

When you are posting in your capacity as a moderator of this site, you are in effect, the face of this forum and to use foul language when addressing forum members is far from becoming and does nothing but cement the already poor reputation that moderators on Boards.ie have in certain circles online (one which I don't endorse I might add).

Why give such people ammunition?

In short: your tone was fine, your choice of words however, was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Looking at how the thread turned out the message seemed to hit home anyway! In fairness it is the Soccer forum and there aren't too many shrinking violets posting in match threads there. Chances were the thread would get derailed and trolled after such a significant result, the mod warning was clear on what would happen if so.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Also fair enough, but with all due respect, I think you are wrong to think that your words were appropriate for someone in your position.

When you are posting in your capacity as a moderator of this site, you are in effect, the face of this forum and to use foul language when addressing forum members is far from becoming and does nothing but cement the already poor reputation that moderators on Boards.ie have in certain circles online (one which I don't endorse I might add).

Why give such people ammunition?

In short: your tone was fine, your choice of words however, was not.

Fair point and I probably was a little harsh. But I'd had an extremely busy day (and week) Modding wise and was at the end of my tether with bullshít.

The reason I was so forceful with my language is because a large proportion Soccer forum posters don't seem to bothering listening or pay any attention if you treat them like adults, or with any courtesy.

But anyway as I said you're probably right.

Advertisement